Tutorial  Updated

How to install Retrix (Retroarch/Libretro port) for Xbox One

Prerequisite - Requires Dev mode to be activated so you can sideloadd apps. If you don't already have it you can find more information here. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-activate-dev-mode-your-xbox-one-console

libretro_logo.jpg

Retrix(LibretroRT) is a massive project aimed at porting all libretro cores to UWP. It currently supports Nes,Snes,Sega Master System,Sega Game gear, Sega CD, sg 1000, Playstation, Gameboy, Gameboy advance, and many more to be ported soon. This guide will cover installing Retrix for your xbox one console.

[1.] Download ProjectPgeasus (If you already have ProjectPegasus this step doesn't apply)
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/raw/master/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

[2.] Once Installed just open it up and select RetriX. Now just wait for it to download. All you have to do now is Sideload Retrix on to your Xbox One (If you don't know how, follow the full guide here https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/blob/master/binaries/Installing APPX Packages.pdf )

[3.] Enjoy! :yayone:

TEcaQY6.png

Retrix brings with it support for local 2 player something we have not had until now. It also opens the floodgates to every single emulator that is currently inside the scope of the libretro project. You can see a full list here https://github.com/libretro

I had been sitting on releasing Retrix for quite a bit now but it has finally reached a point where it is stable enough for release. Credit goes to Albertofustonini for creating and maintaining the Retrix Project. Credit also goes to @kingtut for advocating for a Libretro/Retroarch port for Xbox One. You can follow current development on the official github page https://github.com/Aftnet/LibretroRT

Last edited by wiired24,

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wiired24 hows mame coming along im guessing not good but whats up anyway

Can't proceed with MAME any further until we get more devs interested. Support for UWP is only partial and although I was able to build the toolchain and compile the UWP Project building MAME itself as a UWP Application is a different story. Some of the libraries MAME depends on need to be completely rewritten to fully support UWP. That's out of my scope. I have not a clue how to take a win32 library and make the code work under the restrictions of UWP. I asked absestos for help with it but he has a lot going on right now with RetriX already. So until we get more devs to the scene who also want MAME I'm afraid to say that it's not gonna be seeing a release anytime soon.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I enabled Dev Mode and entered the Xbox Portal settings from the Dev Home. I enabled the portal by checking the box, and changed the username and password. I closed the portal settings and entered the IP with port into all of my browsers of choice and nothing happened in any of them.

Are you behind a VPN or anything ?
Also have you tried Power cycling your Xbox to see if it helps?

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, I haven't been here in a while. what did I miss? any new cores out. the last I was here was ps1 core when it was out

I am seeing that people are talking about sega Saturn and dreamcast cores, are they out?

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, I haven't been here in a while. what did I miss? any new cores out. the last I was here was ps1 core when it was out

I am seeing that people are talking about sega Saturn and dreamcast cores, are they out?

Saturn and Dreamcast are both being added to RetriX and actively worked on. I had been working on bringing MAME to Xbox One but things didn't quite pan out due to some issues upstream. But yes Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are coming to RetriX soon. Also as far as I know @Absestos is current borrowing an Xbox One so hopefully he will be able to diagnose and fix the crashing issue

Yup! It worked fine and Retrix works like a charm.

Awesome, glad to hear. Just so you know RetriX on Xbox One Is still a work in progress so if you experience any crashes just keep that in mind. There are other emulators available on the Xbox One which are more stable and reliable such as Nesbox or PPSSPP, VBA10 etc

@UnobtaniumGamer Did you succesfuly connect your PC with Xbox ONE (developer mode)?

@wiired24 and what about ask for advice or help on oficial MAME forum? http://forum.mamedev.org/

Sorry but I have done all I can do. More people are going to have to step up

kingtut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saturn and Dreamcast are both being added to RetriX and actively worked on. I had been working on bringing MAME to Xbox One but things didn't quite pan out due to some issues upstream. But yes Sega Saturn and Dreamcast are coming to RetriX soon. Also as far as I know @Absestos is current borrowing an Xbox One so hopefully he will be able to diagnose and fix the crashing issue

Awesome, glad to hear. Just so you know RetriX on Xbox One Is still a work in progress so if you experience any crashes just keep that in mind. There are other emulators available on the Xbox One which are more stable and reliable such as Nesbox or PPSSPP, VBA10 etc

Sorry but I have done all I can do. More people are going to have to step up
what about the ps1, is it still slow? I can try and help with MAME. did the file storage code not help?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So he's managed to source an Xbox!? That's good news.

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So he's managed to source an Xbox!? That's good news.

Yeah I honestly suspect it's an issue with the xbox itself and not with the libretro cores. Because if it was the case that the cores were causing issues then some would work and others wouldn't. There is something going on with the Xbox One that is causing every single one of these cores to have runtime errors. Also how can you explain everything working on PC but not Xbox One? Everything tells me it's certainly an issue with just the Xbox One and I'll be glad when it gets fixed

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I honestly suspect it's an issue with the xbox itself and not with the libretro cores. Because if it was the case that the cores were causing issues then some would work and others wouldn't. There is something going on with the Xbox One that is causing every single one of these cores to have runtime errors. Also how can you explain everything working on PC but not Xbox One? Everything tells me it's certainly an issue with just the Xbox One and I'll be glad when it gets fixed
yea some issues on xbox one and pc need to be fixed but if he can find out whats wrong that would be great, people are watching my youtube videos on retrix and are getting dev mode because of it

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea some issues on xbox one and pc need to be fixed but if he can find out whats wrong that would be great, people are watching my youtube videos on retrix and are getting dev mode because of it

That's awesome that more people are discovering the full potential of their Xbox One as an emulation machine. I'm always glad to hear new people coming to the scene. I'm certain @Absestos will resolve the issue soon now that he has an Xbox One to test on.

It's funny how many people there are out there waiting for an exploit to they can use emulators on their Xbox One not even realizing that they already can with Dev Mode

Last edited by wiired24,

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's awesome that more people are discovering the full potential of their Xbox One as an emulation machine. I'm always glad to hear new people coming to the scene. I'm certain @Absestos will resolve the issue soon now that he has an Xbox One to test on.

It's funny how many people there are out there waiting for an exploit to they can use emulators on their Xbox One not even realizing that they already can with Dev Mode
yea some people also keep asking me how to import games for psx and i just tell them its not worth it because that emulator blows (not retrix)

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea some people also keep asking me how to import games for psx and i just tell them its not worth it because that emulator blows (not retrix)

Yeah if the "developer" for WinPSe10 at least had the decency to fix the audio issues, and save states it wouldn't be so bad. But yeah it's pretty bad. The PS1 Core for RetriX will improve in time. I suspect the same issue that is causing cores to have run-time errors on Xbox One is also slowing down the PS1 Emulator. Because on PC the RetriX PS1 Core runs just fine. When Alberto fixes this runtime bug it will quite literally fix everything

Last edited by wiired24,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Oh I'm still very much looking forward to an Xbox exploit.. The Emulators in Dev Mode are ok for the moment but what about the more meaty Emulators? they wont run very well on a gimped Xbox, we're going to need the rest of the CPU/GPU and RAM eventually. :/

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'm still very much looking forward to an Xbox exploit.. The Emulators in Dev Mode are ok for the moment but what about the more meaty Emulators? they wont run very well on a gimped Xbox, we're going to need the rest of the CPU/GPU and RAM eventually. :/

If it ever happens lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1