Not open for further replies.

ryguy5254

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I ran into something.

First off I updated my laptop's wireless card driver.
Then I tried setting up the virtual router once again.
I was wondering if the MAC address on the adaptor changed or not.
I typed in ipconfig /all and found this: (don't mind the sombrero)

http://i.imgur.com/s1dyggb.png?1

s1dyggb.png

According to the image:
My laptop is connected to a wired connection, and it is being shared.
My wifi card is disabled (not connected).
The virtual network is being broadcasted using attwifi in Wireless Network Connection 2.
The virtual router program is working and has found my 3DSXL.
In the command window, my Wireless Network Connection is disconnected, but has the correct spoofed MAC address.

So what does this all mean? I have no clue, maybe someone can help.

To summarize: My 3DSXL can connect to the virtual router (attwifi), but not receive any streetpass. The virtual router is running off the virtual network. The Wi-Fi card (Wireless Network Connection) is 'disconnected' since I'm connected using a wired connection (Local Area Connection). The Wi-Fi card does have the spoofed MAC address.

I wonder if I should change the virtual network's MAC address instead...

EDIT: Ok, I can't seem to change the virtual network's MAC address.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been asking around on other forums and threads and I haven't found anything still. No one seems to know the problem. We may just be out of luck here =? Which is bad for me since I'll never see a legitimate streetpass in my life.

Edit: Another thing I noticed too, is the my 3DS only connects to the Virtual Router while it is open..is that normal? It will show it connected in the Virtual Router window, but when I close it to put it in sleep mode for streetpasses, it disappears. Maybe that is why I don't get any streetpasses? If so..how to fix that?

Edit 2: Does the 3DS have to be the most recent firmware as well? I've been avoiding updating it.

Eurasiam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the guide for windows 7, managed to get connect to the wifi point attwifi, and my 3ds states that a nintendo zone is nearby. Though I can't connect to it (I think i read something about you can't with homepass), and I haven't gotten any street passes. I can confirm that my wireless card did change its mac address thanks to mac shift, but is there something else that I'm doing wrong?

Using windows 7 x64, with a wnp300N card. Since not many people around me own a 3ds, this is very helpful.

edit: Oh the moment I posted this, i got street passes. Sorry about that

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I just haven't had any luck at all. I've let it sit for 15+ minutes and nothing. I have one question for you though, your connections, how are they set up? I have my LAN connection plugged in, my wireless card enabled, but disconnected and my virtual one is named attwifi and linked to my LAN. Is that how yours is as well? Also, it's the wireless card that I change the MAC on correct? Not the LAN or attwifi? I'm just trying to get all of my facts straight and rule out possibilities. The way certain things are worded in the various guides are a bit confusing.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I've been asking around on other forums and threads and I haven't found anything still. No one seems to know the problem. We may just be out of luck here =? Which is bad for me since I'll never see a legitimate streetpass in my life.

Edit: Another thing I noticed too, is the my 3DS only connects to the Virtual Router while it is open..is that normal? It will show it connected in the Virtual Router window, but when I close it to put it in sleep mode for streetpasses, it disappears. Maybe that is why I don't get any streetpasses? If so..how to fix that?

Edit 2: Does the 3DS have to be the most recent firmware as well? I've been avoiding updating it.
You need to have v 6.2 at least.

My best advice to you is to look at a hardware/software combination somebody else has successfully used and copy it exactly.

For me it was Raspi Model B+ raspbian + zydas wifi-max dongle + Somebunny script in OP

One sure fire way is this WiFi-Repeater since it doesn't require any other dependencies.
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY®-Wireless-N-Repeater-Expander-Amplifier/dp/B0082JSOT0

ryguy5254

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I just haven't had any luck at all. I've let it sit for 15+ minutes and nothing. I have one question for you though, your connections, how are they set up? I have my LAN connection plugged in, my wireless card enabled, but disconnected and my virtual one is named attwifi and linked to my LAN. Is that how yours is as well? Also, it's the wireless card that I change the MAC on correct? Not the LAN or attwifi? I'm just trying to get all of my facts straight and rule out possibilities. The way certain things are worded in the various guides are a bit confusing.

Yes, if I understand it correctly, you change the wireless card and not the LAN nor the virtual attwifi.

I'm currently trying with a newer laptop and still nothing. I'm giving up on this. :-(

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal

Thanks for your help.

UPD:
Code:
sudo /tmp/nzone.sh BASE256,GBATEMP
worked, you should correct your guide.
Sorry for your time and trouble. Gonna test it and edit the message if it works.
UPD 2: received first 6 SPs. Will find out if in works further than that.
UPD 3: works like a charm, tired of playing Streetpass games already.

Thanks for the correction :)
Glad it worked

Reactions: octopus

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately I don't own any devices besides an iPhone and a Windows 7 laptop. So I don't have many options. I've tried various ways and just nothing seems to work. I tried the repeater as well, but it never recognizes it. The repeater never sends out a signal to my laptop. I just can't win it seems.

NitsuaKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a functional homepass relay (using a Linksys router flashed with DD-WRT) but I have yet to find a way to cycle through Mac addresses automatically. I tried Duke's script but it doesn't appear to do anything. I recall reading that the script does not work for micro builds, and my dd-wrt version has the word micro in it so am I just SOL?

I spent hours trying to figure out a script of my own and managed to be able to change the wireless mac address with a short command, but I haven't the slightest idea how to cycle through a list of mac addresses of my own choosing. Anything even slightly advanced in this language looks like random poundings on the keyboard. If I could just set an array of mac addresses and use a bunch of if statements that look at the current mac address and change it accordingly I'd be golden.

Edit: On second thought, I wouldn't even really need a list of addresses. I just need to know how to check for the wireless mac address. (and have a full understanding of how if statements are used in....whatever this language is)

ryguy5254

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success!

After toiling on creating a homepass relay using my android phone, and two W7 laptops after almost two days, I was able to flash my old router with DD-WRT and have it work.

I was able to get 6 new streetpasses. I then changed the MAC address and got 6 more.

The only problem is that I had to go to a different room and connect the DDWRT router to the modem. If I could somehow connect it to my main router I'll be set.

This will do for now.

NitsuaKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success!

After toiling on creating a homepass relay using my android phone, and two W7 laptops after almost two days, I was able to flash my old router with DD-WRT and have it work.

I was able to get 6 new streetpasses. I then changed the MAC address and got 6 more.

The only problem is that I had to go to a different room and connect the DDWRT router to the modem. If I could somehow connect it to my main router I'll be set.

This will do for now.

Before my homepass router was set up I had a LAN cable connecting my computer to the main router (the one connected directly to the modem). I simply unplugged the end going into my computer and plugged that into my homepass router, then used another LAN cable that went from the homepass router to my computer. Even when I change the wireless mac address of the homepass router my computer doesn't lose the LAN connection. The homepass router is completing my LAN connection to my computer while separately handling the wireless homepass signal.

silentguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Darn, I don't wanna mess with my main wlan configuration but the script is not set up to work with virtual interfaces, even though my dd-wrt seems to allow them... Do I really wanna get my old router back from my ginormous box of retired electronics? Pretty sure there is another dd-wrt one in there...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I have a functional homepass relay (using a Linksys router flashed with DD-WRT) but I have yet to find a way to cycle through Mac addresses automatically. I tried Duke's script but it doesn't appear to do anything. I recall reading that the script does not work for micro builds, and my dd-wrt version has the word micro in it so am I just SOL?

I spent hours trying to figure out a script of my own and managed to be able to change the wireless mac address with a short command, but I haven't the slightest idea how to cycle through a list of mac addresses of my own choosing. Anything even slightly advanced in this language looks like random poundings on the keyboard. If I could just set an array of mac addresses and use a bunch of if statements that look at the current mac address and change it accordingly I'd be golden.

Edit: On second thought, I wouldn't even really need a list of addresses. I just need to know how to check for the wireless mac address. (and have a full understanding of how if statements are used in....whatever this language is)
You might try the attached python script. I made it for myself mainly, but if it might help someone then why not pass it around. :)

It uses python 2.7 which most linux distros have by default. You can convert it pretty easy if you use the 2to3 -w yourscript.py command.

Anyway, the rest of the directions are in the download, its pretty easy to use. Good luck.

Attachments

• MACrepeater_v1.1.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: zarqy

NitsuaKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it my understanding that this program runs on a computer, and not on the router itself? I really don't want to keep my computer on at all times. Also I run Windows 7, not Linux.

I'm specifically looking for a script that I can put into the dd-wrt web interface under Administration > Commands, and then have that script run periodically using Cron. (that also works with micro builds....)

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Is it my understanding that this program runs on a computer, and not on the router itself? I really don't want to keep my computer on at all times. Also I run Windows 7, not Linux.

I'm specifically looking for a script that I can put into the dd-wrt web interface under Administration > Commands, and then have that script run periodically using Cron. (that also works with micro builds....)
The script (if run from a router) it doesnt need a computer working.

NitsuaKun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the script that Snailface provided can be put directly into a dd-wrt router? If you couldn't tell already, I'm extremely confused about how/where to install all these different scripts I keep hearing about. (or if it even applies to my current homepass setup)

kend7510

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I ran into a really weird problem and I hope someone can shed some light to this.
I have successfully set up a homepass using my macbook pro, the problem is that I can only get 3 streetpasses in streetpass mii plaza per mac address, instead of 6. I even had a friend brought over his DS and he was able to get 6 in the same mac address, using the same network I set up, while I was only getting 3.
But if I were to walk to the Macdonalds around the corner I would be getting 6 streetpasses.
Anyone has any idea why this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sweet new south parks out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 5GB for one episode
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol I can watch it free
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, from the shows website?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation