Status
Not open for further replies.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not seeing any change in my adapter's natural MAC address in the ipconfig list, or whatever I'm supposed to be seeing the change in. Not sure if it's the attwifi MAC that should change or the card's MAC.
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I needed some custom drivers for my laptop's wireless card. The ones that Windows kept installing (and still does so every time I reboot my computer, but thankfully I can roll it back to the custom) was not properly set up for MAC spoofing.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I needed some custom drivers for my laptop's wireless card. The ones that Windows kept installing (and still does so every time I reboot my computer, but thankfully I can roll it back to the custom) was not properly set up for MAC spoofing.

Alright, good to know I'm not the only one hitting a wall at that point. Do you suppose the drivers you used would work for my card as well? I doubt I'll get that lucky, but it's worth asking, haha.

lordelohim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When my MAC cycles, it cycles both the card and the virtual wi-fi adapter, to two different addresses within one hex of one another. Meaning, it cycles my card to, say, 4e50534f4f46, and my adapter with cycle to 4e50534f4f47. Hopefully, it is supposed to be doing this.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, good to know I'm not the only one hitting a wall at that point. Do you suppose the drivers you used would work for my card as well? I doubt I'll get that lucky, but it's worth asking, haha.
They were for Atheros chipsets. It lists exactly which Atheros cards in the driver details, but I don't have access to my laptop because I'm not at home so I cannot give you a specific list.

ArtieMcD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.artiemcdonald.com
XP
Country
United States
Using your instructions, I had everything working in like 5 minutes. Now, for the other issue. Can you provide and advice or instructions to keep the cycling of MACs from interrupting my media server? Every time the MAC cycles, any video currently playing through the media server gets stopped, and I doubt I have to explain how irritating it would be to have to restart a movie every 10 minutes.

Well obviously this is not something you want to be doing on your production machine. spoofing a mac and restarting the network connections repeatedly is completely atypical behavior on a system. Now, you should be able to keep this running full time if you have enough NIC cards on the machine so the lan connection can be on a dedicated NIC that is untouched by your cycler and not interrupted... But I'll leave that as a more advanced topic as one of the issues is the "MAC cycler" software that's posted on the first page doesn't have any configuration fo you to specify exactly which of your network connection it should be touching and which should be left alone... Without the source or any documentation/disclosure it's impossible to tell. Of course you could always create your own batch/powershell/wsh/etc script that does the same thing where you can specifically choose which NIC's to manipulate...

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were for Atheros chipsets. It lists exactly which Atheros cards in the driver details, but I don't have access to my laptop because I'm not at home so I cannot give you a specific list.

That's fine, you've been a lot more help than you know. Just having someone to converse with consistently has been cool. I'll look at that atheros site and see if anything matches my card by chance.

(Although I'm not sure how I would find out my card's number...God, I'm tired.)

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes of course. You can use the macshift program to do it for you.. But the source is there to see how the program actually accomplishes the task.

Macshift...or Maccycle...whichever - hasn't changed anything thus far. I'm also not entirely sure what you were trying to say in that last message.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Macshift hasn't changed anything thus far. I'm also not entirely sure what you were trying to say in that last message.
He was just saying that the source code for the cycling program is available in order to look at how it changes the MAC.

I honestly think your problem has to do with drivers. I had the exact same problem prior to me installing the custom driver.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was just saying that the source code for the cycling program is available in order to look at how it changes the MAC.

I honestly think your problem has to do with drivers. I had the exact same problem prior to me installing the custom driver.

Yeah, I think you're right. I just need to figure out a. what driver I would need b. where to get that driver and c. how to use it properly. All embarassingly daunting tasks for a techno-caveman at 6AM in the morning.

EDIT: Alright, I seem to have found the correct driver at the atheros site & installed them, but still no visible mac change. 3DS is still seeing the attwifi connection point just fine, though. I dunno, maybe I got the wrong driver or something...Apparently I'm now using "Atheros driver 10.0.0.251 for AR5007G". No clue where to go from here.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think you're right. I just need to figure out a. what driver I would need b. where to get that driver and c. how to use it properly. All embarassingly daunting tasks for a techno-caveman at 6AM in the morning.

EDIT: Alright, I seem to have found the correct driver at the atheros site & installed them, but still no visible mac change. 3DS is still seeing the attwifi connection point just fine, though. I dunno, maybe I got the wrong driver or something...Apparently I'm now using "Atheros driver 10.0.0.251 for AR5007G". No clue where to go from here.
Now, I didn't use the official Atheros driver. I used a custom driver someone created that unlocks all the functionality that is truly there in the hardware, but the official software does not support them. I posted a link to where I obtained the driver somewhere. I'm sure you can look through my old posts to find it. Just a note though, if you use that driver, you will need to roll back every time you reboot your PC (at least in my experience; if somebody can let me know how to stop Windows from being right all the time, I'd appreciate it).

ArtieMcD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.artiemcdonald.com
XP
Country
United States
Macshift...or Maccycle...whichever - hasn't changed anything thus far. I'm also not entirely sure what you were trying to say in that last message.

You asked (and I quoted) specifically "Do you mind sharing how you set the MAC address on the network adapter using his method? " and that response was directed at that very specific question. Have you even tried using the macshift program to apply a new MAC to your WIFI card? and if so what was the result? Did you do all the prerequirements in my original post and ensure you had the network bridging correctly set up? Because in the screen shot you posted a few pages back it was definitely not correct.

Do NOT bother running MACcycle until 1.. You have passed the tests I pointed out in my prior posts... and 2... You can verify you are able to manually manipulate the MAC using macshift by running it manually.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, I didn't use the official Atheros driver. I used a custom driver someone created that unlocks all the functionality that is truly there in the hardware, but the official software does not support them. I posted a link to where I obtained the driver somewhere. I'm sure you can look through my old posts to find it. Just a note though, if you use that driver, you will need to roll back every time you reboot your PC (at least in my experience; if somebody can let me know how to stop Windows from being right all the time, I'd appreciate it).

Well, I've gone back and gotten one of the modded drivers installed and still no luck. No change in mac address using macycler. I'm stumped and absolutely exhausted, so I guess I'll call it quits for now. Thanks to all for the assistance - I am grateful, I'll try again tomorrow.

Kervidgen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You asked (and I quoted) specifically "how to change the mac address" and that response was directed at that very specific question. Have you even tried using the macshift program to apply a new MAC to your WIFI card? and if so what was the result? Did you do all the prerequirements in my original post and ensure you had the network bridging correctly set up? Because in the screen shot you posted a few pages back it was definitely not correct.

Do NOT bother running MACcycle until 1.. You have passed the tests I pointed out in my prior posts... and 2... You can verify you are able to manually manipulated the MAC using macshift by running it manually.

I swore that I followed your directions to a T, but apparently not. I haven't done any mac/wifi experimenting prior - I just bought the wifi card I'm using (which is something I said in a previous post.) I was under the impression that the setup would be easier through your instructions rather than the ones given at the topic's start - but both have proven to be equally puzzling. I'm sure that's largely because of my ineptitude with with subject. But I also feel it's partially due to you assuming I know of everything you're talking about. I never asked about any source in my post - just whether running the cycling program would be suffice; the term "network bridging" never came up until just now - I guess you're talking about setting up the card/attwifi connection to be shared, but how can I be sure? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining - I really am glad to receive any help I get, but try to understand that all this information and the lingo that goes with it can become a bit overwhelming for a novice.

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I using windows 8 and I am having troble with the method as the 3ds connects to the PC but not to the internet and detects nintendo zone but I get nothing I have done everything in the guide and it says its sharing the connection but it does not share it with the 3ds. have I done something wrong or is it a windows 8 bug and i am also using virtual router please HELP

ArtieMcD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.artiemcdonald.com
XP
Country
United States
I using windows 8 and I am having troble with the method as the 3ds connects to the PC but not to the internet and detects nintendo zone but I get nothing I have done everything in the guide and it says its sharing the connection but it does not share it with the 3ds. have I done something wrong or is it a windows 8 bug and i am also using virtual router please HELP

Stop using virtual router.. It's not required.

I have steps posted on page 60 and 62 of this thread... I recommend following those... and let us know which step you don't have the expected results.

ArtieMcD

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.artiemcdonald.com
XP
Country
United States
I swore that I followed your directions to a T, but apparently not. I haven't done any mac/wifi experimenting prior - I just bought the wifi card I'm using (which is something I said in a previous post.) I was under the impression that the setup would be easier through your instructions rather than the ones given at the topic's start - but both have proven to be equally puzzling. I'm sure that's largely because of my ineptitude with with subject. But I also feel it's partially due to you assuming I know of everything you're talking about. I never asked about any source in my post - just whether running the cycling program would be suffice; the term "network bridging" never came up until just now - I guess you're talking about setting up the card/attwifi connection to be shared, but how can I be sure? I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining - I really am glad to receive any help I get, but try to understand that all this information and the lingo that goes with it can become a bit overwhelming for a novice.

There's really no lingo here. As I recommended with the guide on page 62... Go slow and step by step and test everything to make sure you have the basics in place before moving on. What parts of the setup have you done (and verified) which step are you stuck on. This is literally a 5 minute setup.

What do you get when you run: macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME"* macaddress** (MACSHIFT... not maccycle... maccycle wont work until you have everything setup right and macshift is working).

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
forget it, changing mac gave me a bad pool caller
i hate my netgear wna 1100 key

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really no lingo here. As I recommended with the guide on page 62... Go slow and step by step and test everything to make sure you have the basics in place before moving on. What parts of the setup have you done (and verified) which step are you stuck on. This is literally a 5 minute setup.

What do you get when you run: macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME"* macaddress** (MACSHIFT... not maccycle... maccycle wont work until you have everything setup right and macshift is working).
Oh yeah, I had a problem with macshift not working unless it was in the root of the C:\ drive. I tried it from a folder on my desktop, but it wouldn't change the MAC...I forgot I had that problem...

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stop using virtual router.. It's not required.

I have steps posted on page 60 and 62 of this thread... I recommend following those... and let us know which step you don't have the expected results.

I tried your new steps but i have a worse problem i cannot even connect to the computer or the internet and have no streetpasses
picture.png

Anyone know the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SDA @ SDA: @Xdqwerty it's gone. Dead.