Hardware How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 23,370
  • Replies 265

How powerful does the WiiU have to be for you to be satisfied with it?

• At least on-par with the PS3/360.

Votes: 58 23.4%
  • About a half-step above the PS3/360.

Votes: 113 45.6%
  • Significantly more powerful than the PS3/360 (1.1TFLOPS+)

Votes: 77 31.0%

• Total voters

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is better to wait until the fact is reveal for the next month rather than a rumor and guess because it won't work that way and waste our time. :)
This is a thread asking how powerful you would LIKE it to be: Not how powerful it WILL be. Of course there's no way for us to know the latter, yet.

Surely, but I would like to add one more thing. For the fact, I hope that it will be powerful enough to competitive with PS4 and 720 rather than this so called powerful console against PS3 and 360. You know what I am saying ? ;)

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Like the PS3 does for 1080p scenes that are actually a lower resolution (eg. 720p)
IDK how it works. I probably have my information wrong.
But anyway, real time 1080p.
That's probably done by stretching, but there is a relatively small difference between 720p and 1080p - 4K is almost 5 times as large (435% larger according to DiscostewSM). Take any image and enlarge it 5 times using whatever resizing method you want - it's going to look bad. If you resize it by a smaller degree, like 2 times, the difference in quality will be negligible. :)
Thanks for clarifying that for me. The only reason I even brought up 4k resolution is I'd just read an article on 4K displays, not that I particularly need/want/expect it to be supported.
But geez, IDK they were that much larger.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
im ok with it being atleast half a step up from ps3/360 for now.
with the specs below frmo the last gen consoles being pointed out
PS3= CPU: 3.2GHz, GPU: 550MHz, RAM: 256MB, VRAM: 256MB
360= CPU: 3.2GHz, GPU: 500MHz, RAM 512MB

with those being said if the wii u is half a step up?
(that is half stepping all the specs from ps3/360)
Wii U= CPU: 4.8GHz, GPU: 825MHz, RAM: 768MB, VRAM: 384MB

but if were talking fully beyond just half stepping up.
(the below specs are doubled from ps3/360 but im saying the wii u specs being beyond the specs below.)
(every gen the console specs is doubled from every last gen console)
Wii U= CPU: 6.4GHz, GPU: 1.1GHz, RAM: 1GB, VRAM: 512

heres basically my guess & where i see them most likely makeing the specs for wii u.
CPU: 6.5GHz, GPU: 2GHz, RAM: 6GB:, VRAM 4GB (atleast from the rumors i hear about the wii u having loads of RAM) :D
This hardly makes any sense.

1. All you mentioned was the clock-speed which tells us practically nothing.
2. 6GB of RAM and 4GB of VRAM? That's not happening on any upcoming console.

If I had to take a guess of the amount of RAM in the Wii U, I would say 1.5GB.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hard to say. Personally I'd like it to be able to play Bluray discs for the sake of it being a better media center for all who don't own a PS3/Bluray player. It's more a convenience than anything else. Also whatever is put in it will sooner than later be old and insufficient hardware. That's the curse of consoles compared to the PC side, where basically your personal funding is the only obstacle to updating a part of the hardware. Consoles tend to be completely new ones when new hardware is made (in other words, the old hardware can't play it (PS2 vs PS3, Wii vs WiiU, XBOX vs 360, the list goes on).

But on another note, I'd like a possibility of loading content of an external HDD. Just because the internal HDD will be filled up in the long run (20 GB HDD on a PS3 anyone?), especially with bigger games and better media content. A HDD with USB 3.0 would be easily sufficient for all needs (at the moment). Just look at the Wii with USB 2.0 loading. Works fine for the Wii's tech.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Hard to say. Personally I'd like it to be able to play Bluray discs for the sake of it being a better media center for all who don't own a PS3/Bluray player. It's more a convenience than anything else. Also whatever is put in it will sooner than later be old and insufficient hardware. That's the curse of consoles compared to the PC side, where basically your personal funding is the only obstacle to updating a part of the hardware. Consoles tend to be completely new ones when new hardware is made (in other words, the old hardware can't play it (PS2 vs PS3, Wii vs WiiU, XBOX vs 360, the list goes on).

But on another note, I'd like a possibility of loading content of an external HDD. Just because the internal HDD will be filled up in the long run (20 GB HDD on a PS3 anyone?), especially with bigger games and better media content. A HDD with USB 3.0 would be easily sufficient for all needs (at the moment). Just look at the Wii with USB 2.0 loading. Works fine for the Wii's tech.
Well those are two already confirmed things, the Wii U is going to use propriety media storage discs capable of storing 25GB of data in the begging.
Blueray is out of the question since it only would bring more unnecessary costs. If Nintendo wants media on their system they'll probably aim for netflix and or youtube, as seen on their 2011 E3 presentation.

They have also confirmed that the Wii U is not going to have a built in HDD, you must purchase an external one, a few days ago we got a confirmation that full retail games will be purchasable day one as downloadable titles.
They are planning to implement a system that lets you download games over night as they can be much bigger than previous gen.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Well those are two already confirmed things, the Wii U is going to use propriety media storage discs capable of storing 25GB of data in the begging.
Blueray is out of the question since it only would bring more unnecessary costs. If Nintendo wants media on their system they'll probably aim for netflix and or youtube, as seen on their 2011 E3 presentation.
The Wii U will use Blu-ray. It just won't be called Blu-ray. Just like how the Wii used DVDs but it never officially supported DVDs. Nintendo is too cheap to pay the licensing fees.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii U will use Blu-ray. It just won't be called Blu-ray. Just like how the Wii used DVDs but it never officially supported DVDs. Nintendo is too cheap to pay the licensing fees.
That's why we won't be able to use it as a blueray player, just like how we aren't able to use the Wii as a DVD player. There will be changes and locks that will prevents us from doing so.

They are planning to implement a system that lets you download games over night as they can be much bigger than previous gen.

Why would you need a special "system" for that? You mean to download games while the system is turned off?

Well the system in it self and how it works isn't so special but having one in place day one really shows how Nintendo is willing to take online seriously this time.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's why we won't be able to use it as a blueray player, just like how we aren't able to use the Wii as a DVD player. There will be changes and locks that will prevents us from doing so.
There is homebrew that allows you to play DVDs on a soft-modded Wii. Of course if the Wii U is as well secured as the 3DS has been so far, that may not happen for a LONG time.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
There is homebrew that allows you to play DVDs on a soft-modded Wii. Of course if the Wii U is as well secured as the 3DS has been so far, that may not happen for a LONG time.
I was thinking about that, Nintendo fixed it by eventually changing the drives, the same disc drives allowed GC backups to be played through softmodding. DVD playback isn't possible on newer Wii models.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you need a special "system" for that? You mean to download games while the system is turned off?
IIRC, you can't play the ps3 while updating/downloading something. (At least something big)
I wonder if the wii u will change that. Download a retail game and still continue playing. :unsure:

?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, you can't play the ps3 while updating/downloading something. (At least something big)
I wonder if the wii u will change that. Download a retail game and still continue playing. :unsure:

I think some systems can do it but it depends on the game. Like I can download games (I haven't tried anything retail but I've downloaded a few XBLA games) while playing certain games on my Xbox 360. I can't grab a specific example though, sorry.

It's probably just an issue of download speed. If you're doing anything online specific (like, I dunno, playing CoD) and you're downloading a big game as well, you're gonna have an issue there.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think some systems can do it but it depends on the game. Like I can download games (I haven't tried anything retail but I've downloaded a few XBLA games) while playing certain games on my Xbox 360. I can't grab a specific example though, sorry.

It's probably just an issue of download speed. If you're doing anything online specific (like, I dunno, playing CoD) and you're downloading a big game as well, you're gonna have an issue there.
If it the case of download speed then I didn't see the wii u managing to do that.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it the case of download speed then I didn't see the wii u managing to do that.

That's what I'm guessing. It's no fault of the hardware, it's probably just more common sense for Nintendo to limit downloading with online gaming so neither experience suffers. It's a minor annoyance but it makes sense and I've learned to make due with it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: