Hacking how many CFW released to date ?

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly I think you're twisting terminology to fit your definition. "emuNAND enabled FW" just doesn't make any sense to me, emuNAND IS the FW.

Not really. The NATIVE_FIRM has to be patched (in memory) to write/read to/from the SD card instad of the NAND. All signature-patching CFWs patch the same thing, just in different ways.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I think you're twisting terminology to fit your definition. "emuNAND enabled FW" just doesn't make any sense to me, emuNAND IS the FW.
emuNAND is actually a more intensive patch than sig checks, easily a good amount of assembly language and hooks needed to work. Sig check removal is just a few nops. It's entirely a firmware patch and it's a new feature.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not really. The NATIVE_FIRM has to be patched (in memory) to write/read to/from the SD card instad of the NAND. All signature-patching CFWs patch the same thing, just in different ways.
I'm not so sure that's how emuNAND works.
Anyway, everyone seems to have their own definition of CFW, I'm using the definition of the word from where it originated: the PSP.
That seems the most correct way to do it to me. Considering all kinds of memory patches a CFW is taking the definition too far. Then the word loses all its meaning.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not so sure that's how emuNAND works.
Anyway, everyone seems to have their own definition of CFW, I'm using the definition of the word from where it originated: the PSP.
That seems the most correct way to do it to me. Considering all kinds of memory patches a CFW is taking the definition too far. Then the word loses all its meaning.
What do you mean?
The term CFW didn't originate with the PSP.
It was already on use in the early 2000s when talking about region unlocked dvd drives, and for sure it was used even decades before that.
And anyway, what would then CFW mean (within the 3 examples I gave you).
I think you are twisting the definition of CFW to match what you want it to mean.

Reactions: Zidapi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What do you mean?
The term CFW didn't originate with the PSP.
It was already on use in the early 2000s when talking about region unlocked dvd drives, and for sure it was used even decades before that.
And anyway, what would then CFW mean (within the 3 examples I gave you).
I think you are twisting the definition of CFW to match what you want it to mean.
CFW doesn't really have a definition, per se. Especially when people can't agree on one :P
And I was not aware of the thing with region unlocked DVD players, I never saw the term used until the PSP.
But I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CFW doesn't really have a definition, per se. Especially when people can't agree on one :P
And I was not aware of the thing with region unlocked DVD players, I never saw the term used until the PSP.
But I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
While we all might have our own ideas as to what we believe should constitute a CFW, the fact is, any modification made to FIRM makes it a Custom Firmware.

I think @Relys sums it up well.
This is a chain of multiple exploits to gain full control over the system, load a modified (i.e. "custom") FIRM image (yes, the magic header is even called FIRM) and then soft reboot the system. It is literally, by definition, "custom firmware". Gaining an entry point during the systems initial boot (as opposed to when we gain access during a soft reboot) just enables automated persistence. boothax is a matter of convenience and does not change the definition or the overall rest of the process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: k