Hacking How likely is it that the Wii U could emulate PS2 games?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of Time ran full speed, but the lens flare/lighting effects were FUBAR.

As for cycle-accurate Snes emulation, I'd rather not elaborate as to why I don't accept Byuu's views on emulation. Too many bad memories.
Considering Byuu's views spawned the only emulator that actually plays every Super Nintendo game to completion without missing graphical/sound effects...

Reactions: megazig

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Byuu's views spawned the only emulator that actually plays every Super Nintendo game to completion without missing graphical/sound effects...

I'm aware of that, but let's just say there were a few, uh, conflicts between the two of us.

Bsnes is no longer an Snes emulator, it's a multi-Nintendo console emulator. Besides, using the accuracy Bsnes profile is only useful for one game where shadows show up correctly.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not SNES-specific, but it's still an SNES emulator.

Speedy Gonzales is one of the big examples, it hangs halfway through a level on all the other emulators. Literally cannot be played to completion on ZSNES and the like.

Ah, Zsnes, truly the IE6 of Snes emulators. I will use it, but I refuse to use the accuracy profile, my Core i7 CPU just doesn't cut it, at least, I don't think it does.

JPhantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
provided there is enough memory the wiiu can emulate the ps2 just not at full speed. i mean in theory if we had infinite memory it could function as a turing machine and that can calculate any function that can be calculated. Does that mean it will ever have one released? who knows probably not because of all the reasons already stated in this thread

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
provided there is enough memory the wiiu can emulate the ps2 just not at full speed. i mean in theory if we had infinite memory it could function as a turing machine and that can calculate any function that can be calculated. Does that mean it will ever have one released? who knows probably not because of all the reasons already stated in this thread

It's technically possible, but very unlikely considering how little is actually known about the ps2 system

n1ckn4m3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe it is accurate to say a high end PC can only barely emulate PS2 games, nor do I think it's accurate to say that we don't know much about how the ps2 works...

The pcsx2 project has had huge progress in the last few years, even laptops can usually play just about any PS2 game at native resolution. If you up the internal render resolution to match native screen resolution, then yeah you'll end up needing a decent GPU for it, but standard PS2 emulation isn't nearly as CPU heavy as it used to be. I've got a couple year old 15" MacBook Pro (core i5) that can handle any game I've tossed at it at native res, and can even handle some of the games at 2x and 3x internal render res with minimal hiccups. I'm not saying this means that it will be easy to emulate on the WiiU, just that the comments so far about the state of emulation for the PS2 didn't seem to be correct vs. what I had experienced.

Admittedly, I did documentation for them, so I may be more familiar with the emulator and how it works and how to set it up than most, but all in all, I don't have too many complaints with its performance.

Linkinwormm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To all those saying "no" people said the wii wouldnt emulate the DS yet i got it working (unreleased) and then tantric and others released their own version. again, GBA on DS not possible, yet we now have a GBA emulator that works on almost every flash cart, while im not saying the wii u is suitable for ps2 emulation, saying it cant be done is silly

other consoles that can be emulated, dreamcast on wii, n64 on PSP, ps1 on wii, snes on DS. so saying it cant be done is silly, is anyone willing to do it should be the question, 9/10 times nope.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'd say, highly unlikely. And if it could really emulate PS2, it will be at a limited speed with not so nice graphics.

PCSX2 on PC is a power hog. Certain games really demand a LOT from the hardware. I'm talking about a nice i5 OC'ed with no less than an actual mid-range GPU. That's the case of MGS3 and ZoE, for example. The same happens with Dolphin.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would take a near perfect optimized ps2 emulator and I doubt that's going to happen any time soon, we still don't even have a perfectly optimized SNES emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/CaOkTKfxu44?si=gaexp0MTD_Yi-udH