Hacking How "hard" would it be to hack a PS3 again.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
By the title of this thread I am referring to diffculty, if your a pervert get out of here. (weridos) I have never modded my PS3, and I managed to find a old PS3 lying around my house. It still works great. The PS3 is one of the newer models incapable of of playing PS1 Games, and PS2 Games.

The old PS3 (on my game console list.) Is one of my older PS3's capable of doing so. However I am not aware how well it can be modded since it was previously pre-owned by a modder. It's repaired fully but still has the mod on it which is strange.

Anyways it's kind of a werid story. But on topic, basically I was wondering how diffcult it would be to mod a PS3 generally. I currently participate in Wii modding, so to have, and allow my whole family to have fun with the hacking I do to consoles. How should I approach PS3 hacking?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It depends on which FW you have on it right now. If you have 3.55 or lower, it's gonna be easy. If it's more than that, it's gonna be either "very difficult" or "expensive as hell" ;)

Reactions: petethepug

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just make sure that your PS3 is a 3.41 or 3.55 to be a hackable easily. Its only way to jailbreak your PS3.
Nah, you can also downgrade if your console isn't newer than a PS3 Slim with Datecode 1B (some 1B might still be hackable though), but it's definitely difficult or expensive for a newcomer.

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be easy to downgrade a Nor ps3, but i think you have a Nand ps3 which makes it a pain for downgrading because you need to solder onto the board

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Making a CFW for 3.41 to 3.55 is, moderately difficult, you have the entry point there, so all you need to do is to design, and make an interface based on said entry point, if it's for FW 3.55>... well, to put it bluntly, is extremely hard, Sony did a good job in protecting newer models by putting restrictions in Lv1 and Lv2, in other words, they protected what was a small flaw and they turned into an efficient software capable of denying any sort of external suspicious software, the most recent new regarding PS3 hacking was with modrobert doing a thing with the XDR Ram.

He found them, but, in order to execute it, you need the bus drive code, and this could only work if certain conditions are met, but these are only "if", otherwise, the information is as useless as it can be, and the last message of that was the last year, in November, so nothing during almost 8 months, there was another thing in ps3 hax, but nah, it was only something that was already discovered, extremely hard to execute on a PS3, and only useful for devs because these are tools, not a hack or a CFW.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be easy to downgrade a Nor ps3, but i think you have a Nand ps3 which makes it a pain for downgrading because you need to solder onto the board

It's a white slim PS3. I don't know what Firmwae it is on at the moment. Most likely the highest, but for now I'm not going to worry about it until I can manage getting the Wii unhooked, then getting the PS3 hooked up. Pain in the butt to do :/.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it was previously mod, or hacked, there's a change it still or already has a CFW installed?

No clue.
It had been repaired, and then given to me next in line. The mod on there has an unknown use... It should have been bricked reguardless of it being repaired, but it was not somehow...

Therefore bringing the use of my skinny PS3 in place which has never been modded. I believe it would be easier to mod. But until I figure out the system version, I'm not going to be getting into it right now.

I'm not taking any risks with modding the other PS3. I don't want it to become bricked in the attempt I install HBC, and find out it cannot read the mod.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
No clue.
It had been repaired, and then given to me next in line. The mod on there has an unknown use... It should have been bricked reguardless of it being repaired, but it was not somehow...

Therefore bringing the use of my skinny PS3 in place which has never been modded. I believe it would be easier to mod. But until I figure out the system version, I'm not going to be getting into it right now.

I'm not taking any risks with modding the other PS3. I don't want it to become bricked in the attempt I install HBC, and find out it cannot read the mod.
how did i get a notification that he was quoting my message?
@Cyan

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, you can also downgrade if your console isn't newer than a PS3 Slim with Datecode 1B (some 1B might still be hackable though), but it's definitely difficult or expensive for a newcomer.

I know and thats why I didn't mentioned it because it would be expensive. They are better off getting it from PAWN Shop if they have it nearby or Ebay seller if they can ask them about it. It is much cheaper than downgrade it. ;)

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: raulpica

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know and thats why I didn't mentioned it because it would be expensive. They are better off getting it from PAWN Shop if they have it nearby or Ebay seller if they can ask them about it. It is much cheaper than downgrade it. ;)

Well the thing is I want to keep my account, and all DLC purchases. How much would it normally cost to downgrade?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the thing is I want to keep my account, and all DLC purchases. How much would it normally cost to downgrade?

Its not for newbies. If you don't know what you re doing then you can fried it or mess up your PS3 easily.

Anyway, it required you to scolder it nor rewire it. That's not worth. If you want to take a look at them. then there you go:

Google it for ProgSkeet or e3 flasher. Have fun. ;)

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on your system. Most phat ps3s have nand chips which are difficult to work with. Anything above a ps3 slim has a Nor chip which is easily downgraded by using a e3 nor flasher. I downgraded my Nor ps3 very easily , and i was new to the ps3. As long as you have an idea on what your doing, and dont do something that could ppotentially break your system (be rough, short it out etc) you can do it yourself.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not for newbies. If you don't know what you re doing then you can fried it or mess up your PS3 easily.

Anyway, it required you to scolder it nor rewire it. That's not worth. If you want to take a look at them. then there you go:

Google it for ProgSkeet or e3 flasher. Have fun. ;)

Oh god. So basically getting into the NAND?
Yeah probably shouldn't do that when I have little excipernce working with NAND's.

There is pretty much little use of hacking the PS3 in my opinion. It pretty much does the same thing as Wii, but is able to emulate PSP, PS1, PS2, etc. Not only that it's much harder than it looks (and you risk being banned online...)

Thanks for all the details though. Helps me out a lot with the support.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god. So basically getting into the NAND?
Yeah probably shouldn't do that when I have little excipernce working with NAND's.

There is pretty much little use of hacking the PS3 in my opinion. It pretty much does the same thing as Wii, but is able to emulate PSP, PS1, PS2, etc. Not only that it's much harder than it looks (and you risk being banned online...)

Thanks for all the details though. Helps me out a lot with the support.

You are welcome. I never played online so I don't bother with it, t thought. I just playing the games offline. :)

dexter222

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello...

I fired up a big old 3.55 that I hacked years ago when it was all new. I suffered some brain damage, nothing terrible, but memory suffers and I can not, for the life of me, remember how to launch the hack screen from the boot screen (forgive me if my terminology suffers). Would someone be so kind as to tell me how? I'll continue to search, of course, but would appreciate a short cut :) Thanks! Dex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E