Hacking How dead is the PSP?

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't dead. Well it has definitely slowed down compared to what it used to be like, but it certainly isn't dead. Don't listen to these guys, I doubt they known any PSP devs and such. Have a look at Wololo.net/talk, you'll realize plugins are being released and even some homebrews. I've even been working on a project of mine, which is gonna get updated sometime soon. There's also my friends at uOFW (A reverse engineering project) who are planning to reverse more modules during the summer, and I'll be joining them as well. There's also a possibility of a new CFW coming out. Well not exactly 'new' but Davee is working on a permanent patch that supports all firmwares. So obviously it isn't dead, but it has slowed down quite a lot.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There's also my friends at uOFW (A reverse engineering project) who are planning to reverse more modules during the summer, and I'll be joining them as well. There's also a possibility of a new CFW coming out. Well not exactly 'new' but Davee is working on a permanent patch that supports all firmwares. So obviously it isn't dead, but it has slowed down quite a lot.
Heck, I'd forgotten about the uOFW. Seriously, this is the coolest project I've ever seen... Good to know that there's still progress!

Reactions: Joel16

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
It isn't dead. Well it has definitely slowed down compared to what it used to be like, but it certainly isn't dead. Don't listen to these guys, I doubt they known any PSP devs and such. Have a look at Wololo.net/talk, you'll realize plugins are being released and even some homebrews. I've even been working on a project of mine, which is gonna get updated sometime soon. There's also my friends at uOFW (A reverse engineering project) who are planning to reverse more modules during the summer, and I'll be joining them as well. There's also a possibility of a new CFW coming out. Well not exactly 'new' but Davee is working on a permanent patch that supports all firmwares. So obviously it isn't dead, but it has slowed down quite a lot.
Oh yeah I remember a plugin released recently which allowed CDDA audio on PSX games on the new popstation versions

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Does it finally use an Snes emulator core that doesn't have garbage audio emulation for once?
I wouldn't have much hope. Retroarch is still in its infancy on the PSP, and even then, there likely will never be a stable SNES core that actually works better than available dedicated SNES emulators.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have much hope. Retroarch is still in its infancy on the PSP, and even then, there likely will never be a stable SNES core that actually works better than available dedicated SNES emulators.

Figured as much, I had heard rumors of Snes9x on PSP getting Blargg's S-SMP core (which would give cycle-accurate audio), but I don't think it can handle it.

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any TuTs on how to install homebrew? I'm to lazy to look now :P

1. Download homebrew.
2. Insert Memory Stick or plug in via usb.
3. Find your downloaded homebrew, and drag the folder containing the eboot and all other files to "ms0:/PSP/GAME/". So if you downloaded Cave Story, you want to make sure the "Cave Story" folder with the eboot and such is in the "GAME" folder.
4. Should look like this after you transfer; ms0:/PSP/GAME/YOURHOMEBREW/
5. If you've done the following, reinsert you Memory Stick or disconnect your usb and go to games on your PSP and your homebrew should appear there. Boot and you should be good.

It also never hurts to read the readme text. Usually they give steps to installing homebrew.

EDIT: On topic, I don't think the PSP scene is truly dead. It has slowed down since its hayday back in the mid to late 2000's but since the Vita has eCFW as its only real way to run homebrew, the PSP scene still very much alive, just frozen. Who knows, maybe there will be a PSP Renaissance.

Last edited by MajinCubyan,
Reactions: zfreeman

djalmafreestyler

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For me PSP isn't dead yet.

I have many games to play, some good RPGs and I'm waiting for Digimon World Re: Digitize translation get released. Actually my External HD have more than 100 GB of nice English Patched games. My 3DS made me busy these days.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still hoping that at some point the old devs (like mathieulh) will release all their hidden/unreleased stuff and source codes, and that will rekindle an interest in the psp. It'll never be like the late 2000s though when PSP homebrew was booming!

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm still hoping that at some point the old devs (like mathieulh) will release all their hidden/unreleased stuff and source codes, and that will rekindle an interest in the psp. It'll never be like the late 2000s though when PSP homebrew was booming!
Weeell... Almost 15 years after the PS2 release, I still would see one of the greatest news in the scene (that HDD POPS thing).

I'm sure cool things will emerge from the PSP scene, mainly after the uOFW!

(I particularly miss the IRShell, soooo many cool features...)

MajinCubyan

The Funky Super Saiyan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weeell... Almost 15 years after the PS2 release, I still would see one of the greatest news in the scene (that HDD POPS thing).

Man, i used to have so much fun wit irshell. Changin the tv channels on my mom was too much fun.

Reactions: Hargrun and Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've been working on a shell that mimics Android. I will be releasing quite a big update next week, but I don't think I'll be working on this any more after that. I might if there are any critical bugs and there's a few things I wanted to finish off. (ad-hoc messenger and localization) You can have a look at my github page if you're interested. http://joel16.github.io/CyanogenPSP/
(PS if you're on a phone, use landscape mode or else the images will appear all squeezed up) You won't find most of those features listed there in the previous versions. They all will come with the new update next week. Anyways the main reason I'm thinking of dropping this project is the lack of support, and also my interest in uOFW. Reverse engineering is a long process, and takes a good amount of concentration and time. So I'll have to work on this efficienctly if I want everything to go well. If uOFW proves success later on, then I maybe might dig up my CyanogenPSP project and see to what I can extend it to.

Reactions: nxwing and Hargrun

Omega2058

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely died down. But there are a few things which have to be done that would be beneficial besides uOFW. Here's some things which are currently ongoing.

First is a plugin to help ease the process for translators on this site. This is in terms of file format reverse engineering and so far it's coming along nicely. PPSSPP already does the job and it does it well (From what I've seen anyway). But there will sometimes be inaccuracies in emulation vs hardware.

Lastly, progress is being made on the Bluetooth module too. Mostly involving the Mac Address.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited by Omega2058,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it finally use an Snes emulator core that doesn't have garbage audio emulation for once?
Why are you still bitching about TYL's sound quality? That's all you talk about on the 3DS board.

And why not ask Staplebutter to improve blarg's low compatibility rate so you can be finally be rid of TYL for good? Constantly complaining about TYL is a fruitless endeavor since the current devs don't even post here.

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
i bought a model 2 slim for like $10 beat to hell and bought a new shell. hacked it and gave it to my girlfriend and she loves it

904245_10200595421024584_164712088_o.jpg

Reactions: gamewitch

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP is dead in the sense that little to nothing is planned in the future for it outside of unofficial translations and such. But on the other hand, its still alive in many respects if you have games to play on it. Its a perfect system for going through all the old PS1 games, and there is a huge backlog of PSP titles to play if you haven't already. So its still relevant in a sense that there is literally years worth of games to play on it if you see fit. Some apps still work to this day and I still use them (like PSPRadio). The emus don't get updated any more but having said that, there are a few emulators that are nigh on perfect anyway. Anything Gameboy, Master System, Gamegear, Genesis, Neo Geo will run perfectly on it at full speed. Whilst emus for SNES and GBA aren't so bad minus a few speed issues (personally though I don't use these - its either got to be close to perfect or it's just not worth it for me).

The PSP (or any older system) is as dead as you let it be. Have you played every good game on the system? Have you maxed out the storage (I believe people have successfully had 128GB working in it)?

I have 3 now; a 1000, a 3000 and a Go, as well as a Vita which lets you do the same stuff but on a beautiful 5" screen.

They make great emulator machines, and actually have a ton of really good games. I use mine more than any other system I own and will continue to do so.

Handheld N64 emulation worth having is still a ways off I think.

What kristianity and mechgouki said is right on the money. The PSP has a fairly large library. The only portable library that rivals it -- IMO -- is the DS. Unless a user has played every good game, the PSP is still very much alive. And while homebrew might have slowed down, translation projects will likely continue on indefinitely.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What kristianity and mechgouki said is right on the money. The PSP has a fairly large library. The only portable library that rivals it -- IMO -- is the DS. Unless a user has played every good game, the PSP is still very much alive. And while homebrew might have slowed down, translation projects will likely continue on indefinitely.
How much you've played a library does not indicate the general life of a system. For example, the SNES is dead, but that doesn't mean I've played every good game the system has to offer. It just means that development has completely (or all but completely) stopped on a professional and fan level, really. I almost find it humorous how hard people are trying to prove what life the PSP still has in it too. Compared to the past, the PSP is on life support. Fan translations are the most active section of PSP anything right now, and it's naive to say they'll continue on indefinitely. How many other legacy systems still have a hearty fan translation base going at it? If you said "none", you would be right on the money. Sure, the odd translation here or there is spit out, but after awhile, people just stop caring about games on old systems that never got translated with the exception generally of fans of specific series. It's a shame, but it's just how interest works. Homebrew is basically down to nothing. The fact that you can list the active projects going on with one hand, and the fact that you can count the number that are likely to reach completion with no hands, I'd say homebrew on the PSP is right on the edge of done.

It isn't as if I don't love my PSP for what it can do, but there is a lot of denial going on in this thread about how alive this handheld is. The PSP launched essentially completely in 2005. People can't be that surprised that the system is reaching its end days over a decade after launch. The only reason much PSP anything is still alive and kicking is due to the fact that there's nothing better to do on the Vita yet. Even then, most PSP devs have moved on and don't really deal with the PSP directly anymore.

Once the current round of fan translations either reach completion or fizzle out (they're fickle things, so it'd be silly to say any of them are certain), I'd say the PSP is all but done. Sure, a handful (and I do mean a handful) of PSP titles are still releasing, but they're largely meant for digital to be bought and played on a Vita, and they're fairly niche titles that aren't expected to sell amazing well. Few people are actually trying to appeal to the PSP userbase itself anymore, and that's generally a good sign of a dead or dying system.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you still bitching about TYL's sound quality? That's all you talk about on the 3DS board.

And why not ask Staplebutter to improve blarg's low compatibility rate so you can be finally be rid of TYL for good? Constantly complaining about TYL is a fruitless endeavor since the current devs don't even post here.
My observations on the emulation on the PSP's Snes9x port are accurate and by no means misconstrued or unsubstantiated as many other people on the Temp agree with my conclusions. The port was great for a while and got the job done, but when you have the 3DS, which isn't much more powerful than the PSP obtain a higher degree of S-SMP emulation accuracy, it's hard not to compare the two side by side. Maybe the ARM architecture has an advantage over the PSP's MIPS, I don't know, nor do I claim to know. Given the fact I've compared emulators over the past several years, I have been trained to differentiate between bad and good SPC700 emulation quality, and I can assure you and even prove that BlargSnes sounds superior to Snes9xTYL's. That's all, you know?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My observations on the emulation on the PSP's Snes9x port are accurate and by no means misconstrued or unsubstantiated as many other people on the Temp agree with my conclusions. The port was great for a while and got the job done, but when you have the 3DS, which isn't much more powerful than the PSP obtain a higher degree of S-SMP emulation accuracy, it's hard not to compare the two side by side. Maybe the ARM architecture has an advantage over the PSP's MIPS, I don't know, nor do I claim to know. Given the fact I've compared emulators over the past several years, I have been trained to differentiate between bad and good SPC700 emulation quality, and I can assure you and even prove that BlargSnes sounds superior to Snes9xTYL's. That's all, you know?
For one with such keen observation skills, you completely missed the point. I wasn't even arguing that blarg's sound isn't better. I said bitching and moaning about TYL's audio across different sections of this forum is NOT productive since the TYL devs do not post here.

Which is why it may be more productive for you finding a way to motivate Staplebutter or someone else to improve blarg's compatibility rate. It hasn't been updated since last August, correct? And according to blargSNES's compatibility list, over half the games either don't play at all or suffer from glitches. Over half. In terms of compatibility, TYL is still quite a ways ahead in the area that matters most.

And while the 3DS has better sound than the PSP, the PSP has better sound than GBA. And yet...
I would love to cut game compatibility in half for improved GBA sound.

- said nobody.

Reactions: gamewitch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: