PCSX2 HD texture pack group

How can I use Xbox 360 FMV in PCSX2?

R3N0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My goal is to be able to play PS2 version using Xbox 360 FMV by replacing the 2 FMV files that are named the same and contain the FMV cutscenes.
Screenshot 2023-12-20 174314.png

PS2 failed to play the FMV after I replaced FMV PS2 file with PC and Xbox 360, it showed a black screen.

Screenshot 2023-12-20 175929.png

PS2 FMV files successfully played in both PC and Xbox 360.

PS2FMVinXeniaXbox360.png

The PC, PS2 and XBOX 360 file are the same inside

Screenshot 2023-12-20 185301.png

I also tried replacing the PC version FMV with the PS2 version but have same problem.

Why can xenia read the file without any problem from both PC and PS2 FMV but PCSX2 can't?

Is there any editing or converting the FMV xbox 360 file, I could do to make it work in PS2?
I can click to skip the black screen and go to the normal game.

I tried switching renderer and has same issue.

I am trying to do this since PS2 FMV are the worse of the 3 versions.
PC FMV is better but Xbox 360 is the superior FMV with widescreen support build in and superior graphics not pixelated like PS2 FMV.

Is this is due to the limitation of PS2 that can't handle certain size of FMV?

Is there anyway to improve PS2 FMV using Xbox 360 FMV?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 175929.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 175929.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by R3N0,
Reactions: mvp899

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Currently the emulator can't dump FMV's yet despite there being an option to enable it. The emulator just recently added a ghetto version of FMV dumping via individual frames in texture dumping. You would have to dump every cutscene in the game to get the filenames then convert the Xbox cutscenes to individual frames instead of MP4, Then rename every frame to the appropriate filename which will easily be over tens of thousands of frames. I'm sure there is some way to batch rename files by date somehow, I just don't know how. Even then, it would be 20+ GB of textures just for FMV's. I'd wait until proper FMV dumping is available. keep in mind other emulators work differently because of hardware coding makes some things easier to emulate than others.

Reactions: SadOrigami

R3N0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently the emulator can't dump FMV's yet despite there being an option to enable it. The emulator just recently added a ghetto version of FMV dumping via individual frames in texture dumping. You would have to dump every cutscene in the game to get the filenames then convert the Xbox cutscenes to individual frames instead of MP4, Then rename every frame to the appropriate filename which will easily be over tens of thousands of frames. I'm sure there is some way to batch rename files by date somehow, I just don't know how. Even then, it would be 20+ GB of textures just for FMV's. I'd wait until proper FMV dumping is available. keep in mind other emulators work differently because of hardware coding makes some things easier to emulate than others.
Thank you for reply, my bad for late reply.
I started playing the private server of this game Phantasy star universe clementine and became addicted and could not stop playing haha and forgot about this game till now.

Now on topic, during my research before, I found out this tutorial.

residentevilmodding.boards .net/thread/16365/tutorial-edit-cutscenes-ps2

The issue is that PS2 needs PS2 uses default video parameters:
Resolution: 512x336px (yeah, very tiny)
FPS: 29.970 or 30 (not tested yet with 60fps)
Sound: 44khz, Stereo

Otherwise it will not work.

PC version seem to have a limit on video parameters as well.
Since when I replaced PC version cutscenes with PS2 they worked find but the Xbox failed to play since it went over their limit video parameters.

Since Xbox 360 has a higher limit it played both PC and PS2 cutscenes replacement just fine.
Since the 3 versions use exactly the same file that contain the cutscenes.

So until the emulator can't go over this limit seems what I tried to accomplish is not possible.
Even if I modify the Xbox 360 with those parameters it will look bad since it will look awful in my screen with just 512x336px resolution.

Last edited by R3N0,

SomberShroud

Trophies
Website
hifi4everyone.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for reply, my bad for late reply.
I started playing the private server of this game Phantasy star universe clementine and became addicted and could not stop playing haha and forgot about this game till now.

Now on topic, during my research before, I found out this tutorial.

residentevilmodding.boards .net/thread/16365/tutorial-edit-cutscenes-ps2

The issue is that PS2 needs PS2 uses default video parameters:
Resolution: 512x336px (yeah, very tiny)
FPS: 29.970 or 30 (not tested yet with 60fps)
Sound: 44khz, Stereo

Otherwise it will not work.

PC version seem to have a limit on video parameters as well.
Since when I replaced PC version cutscenes with PS2 they worked find but the Xbox failed to play since it went over their limit video parameters.

Since Xbox 360 has a higher limit it played both PC and PS2 cutscenes replacement just fine.
Since the 3 versions use exactly the same file that contain the cutscenes.

So until the emulator can't go over this limit seems what I tried to accomplish is not possible.
Even if I modify the Xbox 360 with those parameters it will look bad since it will look awful in my screen with just 512x336px resolution.
I was able to upscale an FMV that dumps as regular textures to 1024x1024 but those weren't "FMV dump" those were regular dump textures, idk about FMV dump, since I haven't tried upscaling those yet. I'll come back here if I discover some more information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: