Hardware Hooking up PS3 to Speakers

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone I am looking for a way to hook up my PC to my 5.1 system. I know that no matter what I do it will be only 2.1 but that is fine it will be better than my speakers on my TV. I found this as of right now but it is discontinued and runs at 24 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cons...Console+Adapter+Convert+Rca+Plugs+To+A+Single

These are the speakers that I have. I was wondering if there would be a somewhat cheaper way to do this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T9YU4K/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What you actually want is an audio de-embedder - that way you'll be able to send video signal to your TV over HDMI and clean audio signal straight to the speakers over stereo jack/s or optical cables. It's not a cheaper method, but it's better.

If you're not interested in that, the cheapest way is to look for any audio outs on your TV and use those. If they'll be RCA outs, use an adapter, if it'll be a straight-up stereo jack (some TV's have those for headphones), just use a cable. ;)

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK the audio de-embedder looks nice might grab one of those to use. It is not technically a TV I am using but my PC monitor so no RCA out's on there just DVI and HDMI. If I was to get a audio de-embedder is there a brand that is the best and what do they generally run at? Also since I am fairly new on this how exactly do they work?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not terribly well-versed in them, all I know is that they'll get the job done. Seeing that you're using a monitor and not a TV, I assume that it also has VGA? Because you could use an HDMI-to-VGA box (NOT cable - the simple adapters will not convert the signal!) and split the audio out that way. Of course the quality of audio won't be nearly as nice, but the setup is substantially cheaper, way closer to your initial target.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need a de-embedder, you can use HDMI for video and use an A/V multi out cable's red/white for audio at the same time.

Just make sure you have the audio settings in the XMB and set it so that it sends sound through all outputs instead of just the one that video is set for.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You don't need a de-embedder, you can use HDMI for video and use an A/V multi out cable's red/white for audio at the same time.

Just make sure you have the audio settings in the XMB and set it so that it sends sound through all outputs instead of just the one that video is set for.
I'm pretty sure that he can only use the optical out for audio while another display method is chosen, but I may be wrong here. Either way, a de-embedder would still provide him with better quality sound than standard left/right channel. ;)

EDIT: You are entirely correct, I completely forgot about this.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html

So yes, as tbgtbg says, the lowest possible expense here is zero if you're fine with just stereo and not 5.1. If you want 5.1, use the optical out. 7.1 is for HDMI only. I guess the simplest option usually flies right by you. :rofl2:

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK that option sounds good with the multiout cables however how would one hook it up? It will work for me as a temporary solution until I get another solution completed?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK that option sounds good with the multiout cables however how would one hook it up? It will work for me as a temporary solution until I get another solution completed?

HDMI cable goes from the PS3 to the TV (or monitor in your case)

A/V multi cable goes into the PS3, then at the other end you have yellow, red, and white plugs. Red is your right audio channel, white is your left audio channel. Just ignore the yellow. I'm not sure how you'd connect to your speakers, but it's such a common thing it should be in the manual. Probably either directly or via a simple RCA to 1/8" adapter like these

SW-8432.jpg

CA-35FRCAF.jpg

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that idea will work my speakers connect directly to the back of my subwoofer and there is no spot for an additional 3.5mm cable. That logitech box is the only thing that I can think of that will work with that or to get a De embedder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Ramis