Hacking heroes phantasia

shadue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! I joined the forum to see if anyone could help me with something. I want to do a translation project for heroes phantasia. I've looked inside the iso and inside usrdir I found a file named HP.cpk. I believe it is a file containing most of the games files like script and images correct? My problem is figuring out a way to extract. Quickbms has a cpk script but it does not match the files code. I have checked the cpk files code with madedit and it does not match what quickbms is searching for. I have searched a few other programs that have not worked as well.

Last edited by shadue,

shadue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it unpacked with quickbms. And cpk script. My file was corrupted. So now I got it. The file is full of .bin , .evt(event logs?) and .tpl files and I think they are either compressed or encrypted. Tried to open them in madedit and it displayed some Japanese characters under the shiftjis. I'm not sure what to do from here?? My other guess is the script is in fld/talk. There is 300 .bin files in there.

Last edited by shadue,
D

Deleted User

I don't know what happened to him. I am helping out with this. Pm him a few times and no response. I had zero do some checking and he said some of the files were a mess, but was still looking. I don't know where it's left because zero is busy with his loh project. Can you help out?

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I haven't got back to you in a few days. Like you mentioned, when I am working on games, I have been extremely busy with Zero no Kiseki. Last I looked at it, I got stuck trying to figure out the tpl files (image files from my understanding of looking on the net). I haven't found a program that recognizes them and will open them. I haven't given up yet on finding the stuff you asked about. Might take a look after I get annoyed with Zero before bed.

Edited Part
Found some goodies. It's Shift-Jis encoding (CP-932 is another term for it). Begin your search in the eboot at 0x2E9D20 and as far as I can tell 0x306370 is the end of it. Don't quote me on that. I tried to use various dumping tools to make you a spreadsheet but they came out a horrible mess. I tried Flamethrower's Eboot dumper and another program called TED (you can find it at romhacking.net in the tools section) if you wanna give it a go. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have a ton of trash in between the bits of dialog.

A good portion of the games files are NOT compressed/encrypted. You should be able to do something with the game atleast. I will suggest you find somebody who can add "single width latin characters" to the game. It does not support them (it doesn't crash but they won't show up if you try to use them). It does support full width latin though (the two byte A-Z and a-z style).

I hope this helps you out in some way. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'm off to bed. It's 2:22 in the morning and I have to rip a bathtub out tomorrow. :P

Last edited by zero_g_monkey,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Sorry I haven't got back to you in a few days. Like you mentioned, when I am working on games, I have been extremely busy with Zero no Kiseki. Last I looked at it, I got stuck trying to figure out the tpl files (image files from my understanding of looking on the net). I haven't found a program that recognizes them and will open them. I haven't given up yet on finding the stuff you asked about. Might take a look after I get annoyed with Zero before bed.

Edited Part
Found some goodies. It's Shift-Jis encoding (CP-932 is another term for it). Begin your search in the eboot at 0x2E9D20 and as far as I can tell 0x306370 is the end of it. Don't quote me on that. I tried to use various dumping tools to make you a spreadsheet but they came out a horrible mess. I tried Flamethrower's Eboot dumper and another program called TED (you can find it at romhacking.net in the tools section) if you wanna give it a go. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have a ton of trash in between the bits of dialog.

A good portion of the games files are NOT compressed/encrypted. You should be able to do something with the game atleast. I will suggest you find somebody who can add "single width latin characters" to the game. It does not support them (it doesn't crash but they won't show up if you try to use them). It does support full width latin though (the two byte A-Z and a-z style).

I hope this helps you out in some way. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I'm off to bed. It's 2:22 in the morning and I have to rip a bathtub out tomorrow. :P
Thanks for taking time to look at it. Now I have a place to start. Have fun with your tub:)

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a game I had in my library for quite a while but since I have tons of project it really is quite far on the list (after Keroro RPG on NDS xD). Would you mind sharing what you've found ? Adding single byte reading (I've done it for Sword Art Online) is not really hard, adding a variable-width font is another story though.
If you could point some text early in the game so I can test (Eboot text are mostly menus since this file will always be a memory it's usually a good idea to use it to store menu text and whatnot since you'll always have your menu ready to load, or just startup text)

Anyway, I'll try to help when I'll have the time, it's been a while since I've done anything and i'll start back with my own project but helping isn't that much time consuming and I found this game to be quite fun.

D

Deleted User

It's a game I had in my library for quite a while but since I have tons of project it really is quite far on the list (after Keroro RPG on NDS xD). Would you mind sharing what you've found ? Adding single byte reading (I've done it for Sword Art Online) is not really hard, adding a variable-width font is another story though.
If you could point some text early in the game so I can test (Eboot text are mostly menus since this file will always be a memory it's usually a good idea to use it to store menu text and whatnot since you'll always have your menu ready to load, or just startup text)

Anyway, I'll try to help when I'll have the time, it's been a while since I've done anything and i'll start back with my own project but helping isn't that much time consuming and I found this game to be quite fun.
In the fld folder there is a folder named talk. You can find some story dialog there. It is in Shift JIS format. Thanks for your help!

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Edited Part

I've looked a little bit into that matter, the game will need some rewriting for some portion of code to support ASCII (or Unicode, haven't decided yet.) Even then, the game doesn't have any vwf, anything translated will look reaaaaally bad.

Translation itself doesn't seems to be that hard but asm hack will have to be bigger than expected.
I'm sorry I won't be able to do much at this point since I'm kinda "coming back to the scene" and I have my pseudo-active project to take care first (at least launch them again)
like: https://gbatemp.net/threads/shining-force-feather-translation.321936/

Anyway if someone wants to take care of it at least I should be able to help but I really can't do all the hacking by myself on this one, mostly because of time, so I'd say it'll come down to me at some point if I'm alone I guess but it won't be soon.

D

Deleted User

No worries. Thanks for looking into it though. We will just wait and see for now. At leased we know what we are dealing with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ