Help: Still on 4.84 CEX but need to buy stuff on PSN for preservation

DrDoctor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm running 4.84 CEX (Rebug) on my slim and I want to go online to buy some DLC from PSN that is nowhere to be found.

From the information I've gathered, I'd have to upgrade to OFW 4.89, but I'm reading conflicting stuff on either or not I'm able to downgrade back.

What would be the best process for me to update to go online and then revert back to how my system currently is? (without stuff like flashing chips with external tools and such)

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, you should be able to update to 4.89 Evilnat CFW, disable syscalls with Cobra Toolbox and download the DLC with no issues. Then you should be able to enable QA flag and reinstall 4.84 Rebug.

I would wait for someone that is normally active in the PS3 section to reply though. I have not used my PS3 in quite some time and can’t be sure that this is 100% the way you should go about this now a days.

DrDoctor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds about what I read, but I may have misunderstood having to install 4.89 OFW instead of CFW.

I'll wait for additional confirmation like you suggested. Thanks!

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
That sounds about what I read, but I may have misunderstood having to install 4.89 OFW instead of CFW.

I'll wait for additional confirmation like you suggested. Thanks!

You might be able to use pkgi without upgrading, Although I've never tried. Why stay at 4.84 though - only valid (IMHO) reason is DEX CFW, otherwise there's very little point in staying at earlier CFW than the latest.

Reactions: DrDoctor

DrDoctor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might be able to use pkgi without upgrading, Although I've never tried. Why stay at 4.84 though - only valid (IMHO) reason is DEX CFW, otherwise there's very little point in staying at earlier CFW than the latest.

Yep, DEX, and Evilnat's 4.84.2 Rebug mod seems to still be up to par with the latest stuff.

I do need to log in to PSN with my an account and buy stuff, I'm not familiar with how pkgi can help with that.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yep, DEX...[snip]
You need to jump through some additional hoops in that case. First going back to CEX from DEX then upgrade to latest CFW and the go back to 4.84 via setting the QA flag. Haven't really had any need for DEX myself, so can't give you advice on doing that.

Missed the "buy" in first post, yeah - pkgi won't be of help in that case.

DrDoctor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All good, I'm already back in CEX. Just trying to gather the right information before I get myself stuck and unable to undo my changes.

Eveldee

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As stated correctly, you need to upgrade to 4.89 directly, don't install 4.89 OFW or you may be stuck on it for a while bacause afaik there's no way to run PS3Xploit on 4.89 because the tools used haven't been updated due to a lack of founding.

So if you're already on CEX, just install Evilnat 4.89 directly and then you can buy the things you need. Don't forgot to disable syscalls using any tool (cobra toolbox, webman, ...) or else you might risk a ban.

Then you have the choice to either downgrade by enabling QA Flags or stay on Evilnat 4.89 as it's a perfect CFW if you don't need DEX.

DrDoctor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Back just to say that it worked.
I installed Evilnat 4.90, disabled syscalls and PSN protection (this seemed like it was giving me login issues).
I'll be staying on this CFW as I do have a few more things to fetch from PSN.
Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Eveldee and lwiz

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back just to say that it worked.
I installed Evilnat 4.90, disabled syscalls and PSN protection (this seemed like it was giving me login issues).
I'll be staying on this CFW as I do have a few more things to fetch from PSN.
Thanks for the help!
Very bad move. Never use an account you care about with any hacks, especially with Sony as they ban both system and account.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running 4.84 CEX (Rebug) on my slim and I want to go online to buy some DLC from PSN that is nowhere to be found.
Just wanted to say that's nice of you as eventually someone will go looking for the same content.

I did that for an Xbox 360/PS3 retail game (Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2) as the later print had a different score so I backed it up and shared it.

I also bought a Japanese 360 copy of that game on eBay for very cheap and it's sealed, but what makes it so special and peculiar is that it states "English Version" (standard RB2 JP copies are only in Japanese... Kind of hard to navigate if you don't know the language).

zPlWLLZ.jpg

1uR6ohe.jpg

It's in a plastic sleeve for extra protection.

Dunno if it has any resale value as I tried to sell and no one wanted for $20, so I guess I'll at some point open it, back it up to my 360, and then create the ISO on PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto