Help needed in identifiying hack of my recently bought WiiU

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey guys, new to the forum and need your help, I don't wanna accidentally brick my WiiU.

It came today with usb hdd, all games work perfectly out of it, there is an online profile on the console, but there was no sd card inside, no homebrew channel, no way to add any games to it, I can't tell if there was a game used to hack it (long time ago I used dr. kawashima to install haxchi).

Bought it from a pawnshop, they have no answer to my questions..

How can I tell if this is Haxchi, Tiramisu or other hack (I didn't follow the homebrew scene for a long time) ?

Can I install homebrew channel to sd card without bricking it and without knowing what method was used to hack my wiiu ?

What's the correct folder structure to a fat32 formatted sd card ? Googled a bit but didn't find any answers.

Please, help me out, don't wanna brick my wiiu, but also wanna have the chance to add new games, use DS4 on it etc ;)

Reactions: MIPLANTEI

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Shortoverview to determine which softmod on WiiU is used:
  • Haxchi:
    • Its only Temporary hack and need to run manually after each boot
    • A patched store game, installed only to Nand which appears as app with a red triangle named "dont touch me".
    • Can easely uninstalled, but it have to check for CBHC (Cold Boot Haxchi) first else it bricks.
    • CBHC makes Haxchi softmod permanent
      • If at boot a black screen appears with "autoboot launching...." its cbhc and you can enter the menu by holding home button at boot
      • In this case first the installer for cbhc needs to rerun to uninstall it, before uninstalling haxchi.
    • Uninstall CBHC / Haxchi
    • There are no files on SDCard needed to run the installed CBHC/Haxchi.
  • Tiramisu:
    • Tiramisu is the newest recommended softmode methode.
    • Tiramisu autoboot can be checked by holding "+"(plus/start) at boot, to enter boot menu.
    • By holding "X" at boot or when launching the "Health and Secutity Warning" app there can be changed between Tiramisu and Aroma.
  • Browser hack:
    • The Browser hack/exploid is temporary which runs mocha and need to run manually after each boot and doesnt modify the system.
    • It can be checked for, if in the logs the browser is used a lot and a specific site is used (u.wiidb.de or wiiuexploit.xyz)
    • The hack needs files on the SDCard and a Website needs to entered short guide web hack
    • Indexiine, is a offline mod to run the exploid in browser without internet connection.
      • It will automatically launch the browser exploid in about 10 seconds when the browser is opened (without input) and returns then to homebrew launcher.
You may also check this thread with same subject: How to determine which hack was used to softmod the WiiU

Can I install homebrew channel to sd card without bricking it and without knowing what method was used to hack my wiiu ?
For the homebrew channel if Haxchi is used check wiiu.hacks.guide cbhc sd-preperation
For Tiramisu SDCard preparation and Homebrew Channel check WiiU hacks guide which is a recommended softmod turorial.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Didn't help as I still have no idea if I'm safe to do factory reset without bricking (I could go on with Tiramisu and youtube tutorials on a clean WiiU). To me there is no haxchi, there is no "don't touch" file.

Might be some kind of offline browser hack, as it works offline and without sd card in. No way to move further with the links you have provided but thx anyway.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't help as I still have no idea if I'm safe to do factory reset without bricking (I could go on with Tiramisu and youtube tutorials on a clean WiiU). To me there is no haxchi, there is no "don't touch" file.

Might be some kind of offline browser hack, as it works offline and without sd card in. No way to move further with the links you have provided but thx anyway.

Doesn't sound like you got any hacks, Tiramisu/Aroma, haxchi or even CBHC need files on the SD

Reactions: Partyzant

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Doesn't sound like you got any hacks, Tiramisu/Aroma, haxchi or even CBHC need files on the SD

You think it's a "clean" console ? How to explain the fact that games run off of usb hdd then, lots of, I highly doubt previous owner bought them.

Will they run off of different account also ? I would make another account and tried to run them.

If there is an indexiine or other browser hack, do they need files on sd too ? I have no homebrew channel in wiiu main menu.

Am I safe to proceed with Tiramisu installation if there is any browser hack ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think it's a "clean" console ? How to explain the fact that games run off of usb hdd then, lots of, I highly doubt previous owner bought them.

Will they run off of different account also ? I would make another account and tried to run them.

If there is an indexiine or other browser hack, do they need files on sd too ? I have no homebrew channel in wiiu main menu.

It is just probably a wii u formatted HDD, you can run games off a HDD anyway since you mentioned that there is a online profile, so it probably have a NNID

Reactions: Partyzant

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Ok, so I created another account, I can run wiiu games from my account, but as I read info in threads posted by @Sypherone (thx btw) it seems that even browser hacks needs files on sd card (it wouldn't work without them, am I right ?).

If you were me, would you grab indexiine files and try to uninstall them ? (just in case), or would you go with tiramisu instead ?

Sorry for so many questions, I am not that much of a newbie, hacked a few PS3 without bricking them, hacked many X360 dvd drives back in the day, but it was some time ago ;)

My wiiu is on firmware 5.5.5 E, is it good to go after tiramisu on it, or do I have to move to 5.5.6 ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I created another account, I can run wiiu games from my account, but as I read info in threads posted by @Sypherone (thx btw) it seems that even browser hacks needs files on sd card (it wouldn't work without them, am I right ?).

If you were me, would you grab indexiine files and try to uninstall them ? (just in case), or would you go with tiramisu instead ?

Sorry for so many questions, I am not that much of a newbie, hacked a few PS3 without bricking them, hacked many X360 dvd drives back in the day, but it was some time ago ;)

My wiiu is on firmware 5.5.5 E, is it good to go after tiramisu on it, or do I have to move to 5.5.6 ?

Even with Haxchi it still need files on SD, so even if you go with Tiramisu you still need a SD card, pretty sure if it have a NNID on it then you can't add another NNID without getting it unlinked. Safe to go to 5.5.6

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even with Haxchi it still need files on SD
Sorry for correction, but iam running still CBHC on my WiiU. And i dont even need a SDCard insert to run my hacked WiiU. CBHC runs without issues, including loading and running all stuff from my hdd.

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for correction, but iam running still CBHC on my WiiU. And i dont even need a SDCard insert to run my hacked WiiU. CBHC runs without issues, including loading and running all stuff from my hdd.
I have no homebrew channel, tried health and safety, mii maker etc, seems like a clean console, I am preparing sd for tiramisu now, ou, and I tried to update to 5.5.6 and it says my console is up to date :-o

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Ettino The Question has gone deeper :
How the games on it are running without loading a CFW before starting a game?
These games have probably been dumped from consoles where they where preinstalled. These preinstalled titles use some kind of special ticket not glued to the console, so you can install them onto other consoles without CFWs. IIRC it's similiar with the 3DS ("legit" tickets).

Partyzant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Because Nintendo made it that way? A hdd or ssd can hook up to any vanilla console without it being modded. And your console is probably PAL region, 5.5.6 is only available to NTSC NA. So it is upto date.
Ok, I am used to PS4 and PS5, games from my external hdd wouldn't work on other consoles without me going online on my profile on these consoles, had no idea it works this way on wiiu.

@mrmagicm - yes my firmware was, still is 5.5.5 E, my console turned out to be retail one, guy from pawnshop told me it was hacked... I was afraid of bricking it, but went after tiramisu youtube tutorials and all works fine now 👌

Thank you guys for all your answers.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Because Nintendo screwed up the security of the Wii U. Some Brazilians figured out you could take the ticket from a disc copy of a game and use it with the installable files from NUS to make a "legit" copy of the game that would run without any sig patches/CFW. What came to be known as the "Brazilian method". But it only works for games that exist on both disc and eShop, and can't be used for DLC. And obviously you still need homebrew to install the games in the first place.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ettino The Question has gone deeper :
How the games on it are running without loading a CFW before starting a game?
you only need cfw for eshop stuff like dlc or games. games that came on disc will run without cfw, because the license is generic and absent of user information.

MIPLANTEI

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Olá pessoal, sou novo no fórum e preciso da ajuda de vocês, não quero bloquear acidentalmente meu WiiU.

Veio hoje com usb hdd, todos os jogos funcionam perfeitamente nele, tem um perfil online no console, mas não tinha cartão sd dentro, nem canal homebrew, não tem como adicionar nenhum jogo nele, não sei dizer se houvesse um jogo usado para hackear (há muito tempo, usei o dr. kawashima para instalar o haxchi).

Comprei em uma casa de penhores, eles não têm resposta para minhas perguntas.

Como posso saber se isso é Haxchi, Tiramisu ou outro hack (não acompanho a cena do homebrew há muito tempo)?

Posso instalar o canal homebrew no cartão SD sem bloqueá-lo e sem saber qual método foi usado para hackear meu wiiu?

Qual é a estrutura de pastas correta para um cartão SD formatado em fat32? Pesquisei um pouco no Google, mas não encontrei nenhuma resposta.

Por favor, me ajude, não quero bloquear meu wiiu, mas também quero ter a chance de adicionar novos jogos, usar DS4 nele etc.;)
Post automatically merged:

Nossa estou com o mesmo problema amigo.
não sei o desbloqueio que veio no meu wii u comprado, estou com um hd exteno, veio com cartão sd de 32gb, mas não tem hobrew instaladas, não encontro, gostaria de refazer o desbloqueio também, se possivel o definitivo. Tem diferença o desbloqueio feito por alguem que comprou o jogo para fazer, com os novos processos.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it was hacked you would go in internal hard drive check for ds installed on nand and make your new one on new sd card for cold boot hachi if it was just haxchi without install on nand then your safe and unless you dont change anything for user if your still using other somebody user beause they dont put password in it so it might be good luck to re-install the haxchi with the ds if somedoy left it there in the nand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740