Homebrew [HELP] EasyRPG Player not working on o3DS !

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
When I start EasyRPG Player on my o3ds (I used Soundhax as exploit) it gives me the following warning:
"This homebrew exploit does not allow you to launch applications in specific titles. Please use a different exploit."

Do I really have to use a different exploit just to play this game? Already to previously hack the console almost gave me a nervous breakdown, let alone if I have to go through that hell again....😱
Isn't there a modified version of EasyRPG Player that can work "out of the box" without so many unnecessary problems? Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Thank you.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Additionally, next time you ask for help about stuff like this, please put in some info about your system. At the very least, the following info would be helpful:
3DS System software version
CFW being used, and its version (Luma is CFW for example)
B9S (boot9strap, modern and recommended) or A9LH? (arm9loaderhax, which is outdated as hell and should be upgraded to B9S)

After that, more information such as the console's region and if you're using B9S (boot9strap, modern and recommended) or A9LH. (arm9loaderhax, which is outdated as hell and should be upgraded to B9S)

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I modified the 3ds (just bought already used) last week, and the firmware is just updated online. Soundhax as an exploit. Luma3ds and b9s. Old 3ds European version. Before I updated it the version was 4.0 something. I don't own any original games, what other exploit could I use?

"Just follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/ with love and care ..."Impossible: I deeply hate these abstrusions 😫......but instead I simply love to play games😋

Last edited by Nikokaro,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modified the 3ds (just bought already used) last week, and the firmware is just updated online.
You updated the firmware after you installed cfw, right? Otherwise, Soundhax wouldn't work.
Were you following this guide here? Have you completed the cfw installation process, installing boot9strap, Luma3DS, GodMode9 etc. Along with doing the finalizing setup?
You shouldn't skip any steps, and don't forget to make a nand backup.
what other exploit could I use?
If you installed boot9strap, Luma3DS & GodMode9 successfully then you have nothing more to do. You don't need to re-mod the system.
Now for your issue with EasyRPG player, you're launching it from the Homebrew Launcher which means you're using .3dsx version of the application. Can you try installing the cia version of EasyRPG player with fbi, and see if it works?
And i assume your sd card was tested with h2testw as it's part of the cfw installation process..

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did not test the SD card (32gb Panasonic), which works with the other homebrews I tested: Snes9x, Neko Project 2 and Eduke32.

I have not installed godmode9 or backed it up: but that has nothing to do with this homebrew not working. Updated software after installing Luma, b9s, H.Launcher via Soundhax: done a few days ago, all updated! So why doesn't it work?

And then there is no point in me installing EasyRPG Player in cia format, since I would also have to install inside the console the game I would like to use with it (Saint Seiya Densetsu) which takes up almost 2 GB!!!)

Last edited by Nikokaro,
  • Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not test the SD card (32gb Panasonic), which works with the other homebrews I tested: Snes9x, Neko Project 2 and Eduke32.
🤷🏻‍♂️
I have not installed godmode9 or backed it up: but that has nothing to do with this homebrew not working.
You should install GodMode9 and do the steps that're on the finalizing setup..
From the "error" message on your vid when you clicked on EasyRPG Maker ,it says something Rosalina.. Since you haven't done any of the steps that're on the Finalizing Setup - which the setting up of Rosalina menu's part of it- it should be done if you want to fix your problem!

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And then there is no point in me installing EasyRPG Player in cia format, since I would also have to install inside the console the game I would like to use with it (Saint Seiya Densetsu) which takes up almost 2 GB!!!)
This is unclear. You would have to do this anyway. Is the issue that you don't have 4 GB free for both the .CIA and the installation? Because you can use custom-install in that case.

But I think the solution here is quite simple. How did you install Easy RPG player? If you just used the QR code, then that might be a problem, as per https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/64rgkf/easyrpg_player_3ds_install_guide_for_noobs/. You should get it from https://easyrpg.org/player/downloads/#release-other . (I suspect you are missing easyrpg-player.xml.)

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is unclear. You would have to do this anyway. Is the issue that you don't have 4 GB free for both the .CIA and the installation?
The thing is, I don't want to install such large files in the internal memory of the console. Only on the SD card! Have I made myself clear?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The thing is, I don't want to install such large files in the internal memory of the console. Only on the SD card! Have I made myself clear?
No, sir, you have not. Almost nothing is ever installed to "the internal memory of the console"; there's barely enough room there for anything. Just about everything you install is going to be installed to the SD card.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, sir, you have not. Almost nothing is ever installed to "the internal memory of the console"; there's barely enough room there for anything. Just about
Excuse my ignorance on this topic....I am a recent 3ds owner.😋
So what is the difference between cia and 3dsx formats?

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If this is true, then it was enough that I was told this from the beginning. 🧐
I did test only for you my lord :) Never tried it before :D

3dsx are only executables, CIA are containers (executable, some dependences, sometimes game files, files needed for the CFW...).

You will see that sometimes 3dsx works and not CIA, and sometimes the contrary.

EDIT : I hear you from here when you will test Hexen 2 without the working sound :) (answer before you ask : some changes in Luma are responsible for that, the homebrew needs a fix ^^)

• Love

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what is the difference between cia and 3dsx formats?
The main difference is that .3dsx files are started from the Homebrew Launcher; .cia files are installed to the Home menu. (Technically, .3dsx files are stored unencrypted on the SD card, while the data from an installed .cia is encrypted just like any other standard 3DS application, but that makes no difference from the user's perspective.)

(Since it is possible to run the Homebrew Launcher from "userland" exploits, it is possible to run some .3dsx files without installing b9s+Luma, but most of the time that doesn't work very well and many .3dsx files require b9s+Luma anyway.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[...]
I have not installed godmode9 or backed it up
Still no NAND backup and no SD check!?
smilie_wut_111.gif
smilie_wut_112.gif
smilie_wut_096.gif
smilie_wut_112.gif
smilie_wut_111.gif
==========

There is a reason for everything on 3ds.hacks.guide. It is not complicated, just long since holding the user's hand going step-by-step. Cutting corners will backfire at some point. Not having a NAND image on purpose is pretty extreme and asking for trouble.

I can't help you with specific homebrew software like this one (not using it), but I can tell you that the exploit chosen initially (Soundhax) has no impact on the end result. No matter which method, Soundhax, various Seedminer, Browser exploits(currently not in active use), game exploits, ntrboot... the result is always the same: B9S installed.
A homebrew title asking for a specific exploit sounds outdated for me. Usually the HB Launcher is started with Rosalina nowadays. Again: The initial exploit is unimportant.

How do I install the .cia version on the home menu? I knew that, but I forgot it already....🤣
It's convenient for me to get the explanation here, otherwise I will google it. 😋
Install CIA files with FBI (which already is installed according to the picture).

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will see that sometimes 3dsx works and not CIA, and sometimes the contrary.
That's not correct at all. If a homebrew application comes in both formats then they should function just the same, the main difference as @Kwyjor has already explained, is that the .3dsx files can be launched from the Homebrew Launcher without the need of installing them, while the .cia files have to be installed in order to be used.
Now, since OP is trying to play a game, its .cia should be installed to be played, as there's no such thing as playing games from a .3dsx extension..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...