[Headphone jack] What's with all the apple hate?

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your other issues with them are irrelevant to this topic.
Their hubris to remove the headphone jack is based on the company's values and their vital role in shaping computing over the past several decades.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Man, that reads just like an ad from those Apple tools themselves. How much Apple payin' you to suck their dick like that? :rolleyes: Quite possibly the cringiest thing I'll read all day, thanks.
They're just paying me in constant security updates for my aging hardware. I'm living the dream.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Their hubris to remove the headphone jack is based on the company's values and their vital role in shaping computing over the past several decades.
You realize several Android companies did it first, right?

They can do whatever the hell they want with their product. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I like the headphone jack because I regularly use various devices including those without bluetooth and the headphone jack 'just works' for me.

Ive tried bluetooth in the past but I never found it as good, had to p***around with it, the headphines werent as nice, they cost more, having yet another thing to charge, etc.

I also find Apple use of the word "courage" to be taking the p*** when they dint have the courage to use an open standard like usb-c.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: Hayleia

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the people in this thread are just plain jerks.
Can we all just simmer down a little bit? I've had countless discussions about this subject, and what it boils down to is usually this.

iPhone and Apple Device users use them because they like them.
They would usually rather not bother with the kind of customization and tweaking you can do on other platforms, like Android or Windows because they think what they have is already good enough, and they understand it for the most part.

The reason they are so popular is because, at the end of the day, life isn't just about personal computing, and apple gets this (usually). They don't revolutionize anything. They just make a good product that happens to get the job done in a way that isn't so complex that the average person can't understand it. And that's just fine.

There's also something to be said for the security of a closed platform, etc.

Android and Windows/PC users use them because it suits their needs, and in areas where it doesn't, can often be tweaked to suit their needs better- and they often don't mind putting some effort in if it means getting more output from that effort in the long run. There's a lot more you can do to suit your preferences, needs, and desires if you put the time and effort on. To me, that makes it more human an experience, which is why I prefer it myself. (personally)

Man, I could not possibly love my iPhone 6S any more than I already do. It isn't constantly losing apps to OS fragmentation, I'm not getting mysterious ads in my notification bar from shitty apps, I know my data is secure, and I don't have to worry about exploding batteries. Frankly, I don't understand why such granular customization is of so much value to people.

Apple gets hate because it's the most popular, most successful capitalist enterprise on the face of the earth- and in a true Utopia, not every kind of person can be invited.

Some utopia, people being forced out of the "perfect society" over something as trivial as a mobile device preference.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Several companies made smartphones with downloadable apps before Apple, but it's largely irrelevant until you set the pace with a product for the masses.
Apple might have been the first mainstream smartphone to reach the mass market, but they've been outdone by MANY companies since. Namely Samsung, LG, and HTC. All 3 of them offer better phones than Apple, and even offer mid-range and low-range options. Apple only gives you expensive, or slightly less expensive models.

My only gripe with Samsung is that they went from USB 3.0 on the S5, and then back-petaled to USB 2.0 again for the S6 and S7... Which is just fucking DUMB. They should have just went USB-C and been done with it. USB 2.0 is painfully slow to transfer stuff to and from the phone.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP

They're just paying me in constant security updates for my aging hardware. I'm living the dream.
Vital role in shaping computers? That's true since they made Disk Drive obsolete, Made the iPhone, And now possibly changing 3.5MM jack, but I think there are many things shaped by other companies too, Apple really isn't the only thing that should exist in computing actually, if it weren't for Microsoft (I have a grudging hate against the company personally especially Windows) I think very few minority would've owned a PC, they made a cheap buggy OS but it was useable by everyone not only rich people (especially poor countries).

Google also shaped smartphones a lot! Arguably they introduced the app store to smartphones first, then android was the operating system which truly did brought the capability of a smartphone for it to be as functional as a PC, truly I use my windows devices only once a week ever since I bought my Android phone, when I switched to iPhone I just couldn't do most of that stuff, I indeed AL9Haxed my 3ds using only android.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Apple doesn't have any 'company values' outside of the single focus they have developed an almost cult-like religion around :

Selling an overpriced product and having the consumer often thank them for the 'experience'

It's incredible.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm sure you have different and countless reasons to hate Apple. I'm not particularly fond of the company myself. But there's something I just can't understand: no audio jack = tragedy

The audio jack was made decades ago and it's now obsolete. It was just taking up space. I mean, we are talking about a device that felt necessary to switch from a micro sim to a nano sim to gain those free 1-2 millimeters of more space.
Bluetooth cans are now good enough to be on par with midrange wired headphones for a decent price. I had 60 bucks pioneer headphones that worked just fine. You could say that you don't have to spend so much for a pair of headphones to get decent audio quality, sure, but why are you getting a phone that costs several times more then?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
I, and probably many others that actually use and like good headphones, have a range of very high quality, very expensive headphones that of course work on the 3.5mm analog jack.
It is a standard that works, gives out great quality, and the existence of this standard made it possible to make a couple thousands Euros investments in this collection of headphones.
The whim of a greedy company to make obsolete a jack that is not just in order to sell new adapters and additional products is something I could live without.
This whim makes "obsolete" or a PITA to use an investment on headphones, whose quality is far superior than any proprietary bullshit apple could come up with as a replacement.

PS: The headphone jack is only obsolete because they want to milk out the users forcing the to buy new different products. It is forced obsolecence, like apple trying to force its dick into your ass.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: DrkBeam and Hayleia

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I, and probably many others that actually use and like good headphones, have a range of very high quality, very expensive headphones that of course work on the 3.5mm analog jack.
It is a standard that works, gives out great quality, and the existence of this standard made it possible to make a couple thousands Euros investments in this collection of headphones.
The whim of a greedy company to make obsolete a jack that is not just in order to sell new adapters and additional products is something I could live without.
This whim makes "obsolete" or a PITA to use an investment on headphones, whose quality is far superior than any proprietary bullshit apple could come up with as a replacement.

PS: The headphone jack is only obsolete because they want to milk out the users forcing the to buy new different products. It is forced obsolecence, like apple trying to force its dick into your ass.
I have a pair of good headphones too, but they also have a Bluetooth option, which I've been using on my phone all the time. It's just incredibly convenient to not have a cable bugging you when you have your phone in your pocket or even when you are walking in a room and want to leave your phone charging. I could listen to music just fine with a $60 pair of bluetooth headphones, they weren't extremely good but they were on par with wired headphones of half the price. I can understand why Apple would get rid of something that someone who just dropped $700 on a phone should not be using.

They also made true bluetooth earphones that don't have any wire and thank God for that.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a pair of good headphones too, but they also have a Bluetooth option, which I've been using on my phone all the time. It's just incredibly convenient to not have a cable bugging you when you have your phone in your pocket or even when you are walking in a room and want to leave your phone charging. I could listen to music just fine with a $60 pair of bluetooth headphones, they weren't extremely good but they were on par with wired headphones of half the price. I can understand why Apple would get rid of something that someone who just dropped $700 on a phone should not be using.

They also made true bluetooth earphones that don't have any wire and thank God for that.

I like my headphone somewhat more on the securely attached side. The bluetooth ones from Apple are not my thing.
Regarding Bluetooth headphones, yes they are very convenient, never have the same quality level but they are really comfortable to use.
I have been using the Marshall series (MID and MONITOR), and they are quite cheap and good, great value IMHO.
That said, I prefer to be able to use Bluetooth when I feel like it, and cable when I go for quality.
Why the hell taking the option away? It is nonsense, specially when the Samsung phones are thinner than Apple's and they include the damn jack.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Wait, how is it obsolete? And frankly, I don't particularly want a thin, fragile device. First of all, it makes it more prone to falling from my hands. Removing something I use to make a device thinner is something that really puts me off. That, and I dislike iOS.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I don't really hate Apple, I just hate their decision in removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. The decision to remove the headphone jack and instead use Lightning Headphones and/or a dongle would make the Lightning port wear down faster. Because the iPhone 7 had only a Lightning port and because the Lightning port is now also used for audio, its lifespan has been cut short. The Lightning port's lifespan wouldn't really be a problem had the iPhone 7 had the headphone jack.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Bluetooth headphones are cool and all.. But when I'm home wanting to listen to music? Why waste the battery. Not to mention, Apple has this awkward thing with single Jacks on their devices. One size fits all, so to speak. Dunno. It's annoying.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Poor people are mad that they can't afford the epitome of engineering and software development, so they sit there on their NSA infected Androids and Windows PCs slinging mud.

iPhones have backdoors for the CIA to just simply hack into it, and you have no control over it.
They also cost more than Android phones and have shit software ( from my perspective ).

Also, Windows and Mac aren't the only options, ya dummie.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not like the idea of Apple removing the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. Mostly because I did not want to carry a external adapter plus run down the lightning port. For wireless earbuds, is about $40 - $60 and a simple wired skull candy costed me $16. Yet, I have a iPhone 6s+ gathering dust because I couldn't stand iOS even though I had a iPhone 5 before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Tube? :shy::blush::evil:
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Games are getting huge nowdays, like 125gb a game (4k games anyways). I feel sorry for players that only have a 512gb hd. (Series S)
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's fine just stream the game! Lol
    +1
    I wonder if that was the point of game streaming
    But it's a dead end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, people who cant download it can still play the game
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should...