HaxxStation: DS Download Station exploit

13 years.

The original DS was released in 2004, and to this day, no hax for Download Play had been made.

Until now.

Gericom found an exploit in DS Download Station, allowing us to run any homebrew we'd like over DS download play.

Source code for dspatch: https://github.com/Gericom/dspatch

Enjoy!

Credits:
Exploit: shutterbug2000, Gericom, and Apache Thunder
Graphics: Jaames, Robz8

And if you want to load unsupported flashcarts on a DSi:

Yes.
Here's Apache Thunder's flashcard launchers edited for HaxxStation. @shutterbug2000 should put this in the first post.
https://www.odrive.com/s/23b9f39c-ae15-4c1b-8ff7-64344fa6f2d2-5939fc7f

Attachments

• dspatch.zip
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,278
  • dspatchv1.1.zip
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,720
Last edited by shutterbug2000,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I still want to. Even if it isn't easy. Can you show me how?
Follow this thread and do as krabscode says until you find the file named "ds_demo_client.srl". Use the haxxstation rom instead of the other DS DL Station roms. Let me know when you find it, then I'll give you the rest of the instructions.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, not even tinke can help. Hmm....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yep, atm you can't change the icon

Frick.

Though, someone is working on a version of DSPatch-gui that supports custom icons.

ItzTacos

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I need help with the Exploit, i tried to boot the HaxxStation from TwilightMenu and my other console was able to see the software after downloading the HaxxStation from download play. The problem is that my other console freezes when the download of the software that i injected start

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I need help with the Exploit, i tried to boot the HaxxStation from TwilightMenu and my other console was able to see the software after downloading the HaxxStation from download play. The problem is that my other console freezes when the download of the software that i injected start
The rom it's downloading is too big. The size limit is 4 MB, but 2 MB or below is recommended.

It's because the rom is being downloaded to the DS's RAM, which is 4 MB. (Yea yea on the DSi and forward theres more RAM but for compatibility reasons I guess, Nintendo capped the RAM in DS Mode to 4 MB... even on the new 3DS...

HALT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a 4 year old thread but how in the world I'm I suppose to use this? I get I need a flash cart and 2 ds systems but like... there's no download link the the compiled project.

Dentus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a 4 year old thread but how in the world I'm I suppose to use this? I get I need a flash cart and 2 ds systems but like... there's no download link the the compiled project.

I couldn't find the GitHub page I downloaded the gui-tool. But I found a very recent version here: Releases · RetroHeim-Soft/dspatch-gui · GitHub and an older version here: Release 1.0 - The Grand Debut! · bennyman123abc/dspatch-gui · GitHub. My browser reported these files may be dangerous. That's most likely a false positive, but just so you know.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't find the GitHub page I downloaded the gui-tool. But I found a very recent version here: Releases · RetroHeim-Soft/dspatch-gui · GitHub and an older version here: Release 1.0 - The Grand Debut! · bennyman123abc/dspatch-gui · GitHub. My browser reported these files may be dangerous. That's most likely a false positive, but just so you know.
Chrome on my PC didn't mark either of them as dangerous, so it's definitely a false positive. Are you sure your browser it up to date?

RetroHeim

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! I made a couple of changes to the dspatch-gui that bennyman123abc made a while back from gericom's cli, it is mostly just customization. I can see that gbatemp has linked it. Feel free to give me any other customizability suggestions, though I think I might abandon it soon.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I made a couple of changes to the dspatch-gui that bennyman123abc made a while back from gericom's cli, it is mostly just customization. I can see that gbatemp has linked it. Feel free to give me any other customizability suggestions, though I think I might abandon it soon.
I forgot to mention this in the flipped path boxes issue on github, (Thanks for fixing that, btw!) i think it would be cool if we could change the internal icon, (as in the title icon that appears in the Download Play menu) and change the control type for each title in the HaxxStation rom, (so that they're not all just labeled as touch control) and change the order in which the titles are displayed on the client systems when picking a title to download.

RetroHeim

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I forgot to mention this in the flipped path boxes issue on github, (Thanks for fixing that, btw!) i think it would be cool if we could change the internal icon, (as in the title icon that appears in the Download Play menu) and change the control type for each title in the HaxxStation rom, (so that they're not all just labeled as touch control) and change the order in which the titles are displayed on the client systems when picking a title to download.

Sounds interesting!
I might need to redo a bit of the original code to make it possible, but I'll work on those for the next update.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Sounds interesting!
I might need to redo a bit of the original code to make it possible, but I'll work on those for the next update.
Also, I think it'd be cool if we could add the special DS keyboard characters (Y'know, like the ABXY buttons, and those little boxy emoticons?) into the username that shows up in the download play menu.

RetroHeim

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, I think it'd be cool if we could add the special DS keyboard characters (Y'know, like the ABXY buttons, and those little boxy emoticons?) into the username that shows up in the download play menu.
Sorry about the late reply, I am not sure how I'd do this, currently I am working on making it so that you can change the icon for every single rom, including the ones inside and outside. As I am only doing this out of interest, I will be taking my time, I've only just become not busy enough to work on this again.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the late reply, I am not sure how I'd do this, currently I am working on making it so that you can change the icon for every single rom, including the ones inside and outside. As I am only doing this out of interest, I will be taking my time, I've only just become not busy enough to work on this again.
Ah. As for changing the icons for the roms inside, I just change the icons before packing them in. As for the icon that shows in the Download Play menu, I actually don't know how to change that exactly.

RetroHeim

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah. As for changing the icons for the roms inside, I just change the icons before packing them in. As for the icon that shows in the Download Play menu, I actually don't know how to change that exactly.
Currently you can only change it via changing line 19 to 71 (haxxStationIconImage and haxxStationIconPltt (the icon and the palette respectively)) on DownloadStationPatcher.cs inside the master branch, at this time, so not very user friendly, but still doable, you also have to change all the data into Hexadecimals before doing so, and then compile the whole program, and every single station will have that same image. The way I am currently working on it would allow me to just change any icon anyways, so I'll just give the user the ability to do everything in-app.

I am not sure how I'd make a icon creator built in, so it won't be for now, you'll have to use a different tool and upload it via either bmp or palette and icon.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Currently you can only change it via changing line 19 to 71 (haxxStationIconImage and haxxStationIconPltt (the icon and the palette respectively)) on DownloadStationPatcher.cs inside the master branch, at this time, so not very user friendly, but still doable, you also have to change all the data into Hexadecimals before doing so, and then compile the whole program, and every single station will have that same image. The way I am currently working on it would allow me to just change any icon anyways, so I'll just give the user the ability to do everything in-app.

I am not sure how I'd make a icon creator built in, so it won't be for now, you'll have to use a different tool and upload it via either bmp or palette and icon.
Yeah, I think it's best if you just make it a "rip and edit the icon yourself" type thing.
(e.g. can export current icon, and can import new ones)

Reactions: RetroHeim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.