Hacking Has anyone proven that Sky3DS is an exact replica cart?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yea ok lemme solder up a ram dump setup first.

They never said that.

Ok, it's been a long while, not those exact words I'll admit. But the general feeling from various posts/chatter at the time, was it's not going to be done & gateway was done. I'm not searching through them all, but example

https://gbatemp.net/threads/are-gat...-in-terms-of-rom-support.362807/#post-4931734

"Is this the end? Probably not, but it will stop pirating every game build with the new SDK for a long time."

Was no where near a long time, unless a couple of months of no new games is a long time.

But if you want something of them saying something that is 100% not true. How about being against piracy, while neimod dumps games for legacy?

Yep, you should really trust without question, those who sit on the moral high horse, looking down on the flashcard scene, while dumping games for a scene group.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Damn people start using some thinking hats instead of spurring up more speculation...

Interesting end to a post that's otherwise in itself made up entirely of speculation...

It can be blocked in the future, and I can probably see why Nintendo is hesitating. To make sure they don't render there users 3ds useless. They have to plan this out and make sure that whatever loopholes they find they patch it but at the same time not effect there users.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the devs who are supposed to be able to block this thing with "one line of code" hate the Sky3ds team and want them all to die in a fire anyway, so it all just looks like huffing and puffing to make oneself look important. I just want to see this elusive unicorn of code that Nintendo is inexplicably unaware of.

I'm not saying it can't be blocked, but for as adamant as everyone is that is so absurdly easy to block, and as mush vitriolic hatred as there is toward the Sky3ds people you'd think they would want to back up their claim a little more than they have.

I've never seen a mod/hack scene so filled with bullshit as the 3ds. I trust nothing without proof. A devs word doesn't mean shit to me.

If it doesn't matter why is everyone so up in arms about the next update destroying Sky and reducing them all to a weeping monument to the faults of man? It matters because everyone wants to be the guy that knows more than the next guy, but nobody wants to back it up.

I've found that firmware 9.4.0 gives out free handjobs and birthday cakes even if it isn't your birthday. Its true because I said so and I'm a 1337 D3V.

I feel like I should be a on a Bigfoot forum for all the provable information there is here.

If the devs aren't working for Nintendo than there's your answer on why it hasn't been blocked. Thats Nintendo's job to do the hunting. If you want them to block it so badly than, shit, ship them a card, pay for there time to do research on the card.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Takes one line of code to patch Sky3DS, while Nintendo didn't patched it within 3 major updates.

you can detect and block any 3ds card retail or flash. the problem with sky3ds is if Nintendo simply blocks its identifier with this magic one line of code it will likely block retail copies of games in the process. Nintendo has always been quick to react to piracy related products, its clear sky3ds isn't a one line fix.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
Don't think Nintendo's engineers are stupid.

DS linkers replicate real game cartridge info.
Nintendo blocked them, without blocking real games.
They detected save chipset and some more infos to block them...

Sky3DS does not rely in "game names" or so I think.
Or they are really stupid :P

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Don't think Nintendo's engineers are stupid.

DS linkers replicate real game cartridge info.
Nintendo blocked them, without blocking real games.
They detected save chipset and some more infos to block them...

Sky3DS does not rely in "game names" or so I think.
Or they are really stupid :P

Only the 4.5 update does that save detection thing. The others just update the whitelist.

Fotonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But what makes SKY3DS more detectable than GW?
For sure there is a method to detect the card, would it be checking the loading speeds of the emulated ROM, cheching some unique IDS and any other tip Nintendo engineers surely already know.
At the same time with GW we have a "dirty" system, since you install the patch to load the emunand, in the same manner loading speeds and ROM IDs may be detected on GW case.

In both cases, the only thing to do is to avoid updating the 3DS to the newest firmware without being sure that it doesn't patch anything to prevent backups to be played.
So I don't understand this war between GW and 3DS fanboys, really, why are you so determined to estabilish that one is better than the other? Buy what you want and be happy with that! :)

To return in topic, many said it's a pain having to use the dedicated program to load 3DS roms on the SKY3DS SD card but I think it's a trick to speed up game loading time and thus reducing the risk to be detected as a fake card with a lower reading speed that a genuine one.
Indeed if games are written on the SD card using a filesystem (FAT32, NRFS, EXT2-3-4,...) the emulation system (in this case the SKY3DS but this applies on every other system...) must 'read' the filesystem before getting data and this process for sure slows down the reading speed. Probably data on SD card is written by the dedicated program in a raw fashion way, making the readings from the SKY3DS CPU a lot more faster since the data is written linearly and sequentially.

At this point I have a question, is it confirmed that 3DSKY copies the game image in it's internal memory instead of accessing it's data from the SD card at play time? This would imply a big flash memory availability on the SKY3DS IC that would host the entire game data on it... :/

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ijBQqUF.jpg
WOOT WOOT!!! nintendo patch the pirate card... WOOT WOOT

Exeplosion

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's been said that some discussion of sky3DS on the #3dsdev IRC has ultimately led to the decision that the flashcard can be blocked by Nintendo.

Its not a decision... it's what can be shown to block. Until they do it, no, they cannot as of right now. :glare:

Food

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree about Nintendo not bothering about Sky3DS.
They sued french physical stores about R4, and won.

They tried to block DS linker from beginning 'til 6.x firm. and then after fought about Gateway and Ninjhax.
Ninjhax even doesn't launch ROM but they "bother" to block it.

And not Sky3DS ?

That's strange enough.

And GW is blocked from 5.x firmware.
4.5 users are less and less as time goes on.
Finding a good used (or new) 4.x 3DS is difficult and expensive.

Finding a PAL N3DS with Sky3DS ok on it is easy.
They will lost more money with pirated New 3DS/linker than 4.x 3DS / linker.

Of course, 9.x support for GW might be a threat for Nintendo, but... it is a vaporware for now.

Nintendo is fighting more hardly against warez than Sony/MS...
not really dude my local frys has tons of them ... sw12 sealed 3ds's i picked one up a few days ago when they were on sale for 179.99$

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Talk to smealum. Personally I don't care what you think. You're blindly defending something that you don't understand. I'd rather take a devs word over anything you or that mess of a team has to say.

I'm not defending anything. All I'm saying is that there is no conclusive proof in any direction.

Everyone says it is one simple line of code to block sky3ds/clones, but when questioned about it everyone backs into a corner and says "oh well its not that easy because they might break other stuff." Well then it isn't just one simple line of code then.

If there is no proof I'm not going to blindly believe anything. You, sir, are the one putting all of your faith into something that hasn't been proven at all.

Reactions: abaddon41_80

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And yet no update to block it since the day the card was released.

Which means nothing as of yet. Wait until the next big update to say anything, really. I highly doubt it will go unblocked...

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was as easy as some sources have led people to believe, Nintendo would have done it by now. I am not saying it isn't going to be blocked in the future. It very well may be blocked with the next update. I do not know how the Sky3DS is tricking the system and, as far as I can tell, no one has given as definitive answer. I am with nosmokingbandit on this one. Until it is actually blocked, I am not going to bash it for being easily blockable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill