[HARDWARE MOD] Increase the earphone output volume of your 3DS (some models so far).

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by KipMudz, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, graphite is an awesome conductor, the only reason why it's not used extensively is because it's brittle, really. I remember companies making flex cables out of thin pieces of plastic with graphite "leads" sandwiched between them, specifically for laser applications, but I think they've moved away from that due to failure rates of such ribbons. You can still see carbon leads here and there - there's some inside the Dualshock 4, actually, and they're a pain in the ass. You could make whole circuit boards with the stuff if it wasn't so easy to wipe off. :lol:

2. GuitarJav

GuitarJav Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2010
    Ecuador
    Hola, I made a pseudo diagram, to show the measurements I was getting in the DSi xl, only the components and also with the impedance of the headphone:
    *I was testing the resistance of all the componentes near the area of the jack , and the continuity of right and left channel too, only this two components near to that area mark continuity.
    [​IMG]
    for me looks like this two pair could be ,but I have my doubts to see that it doesnt give me the same resistance that op.

The conductive pen looks like an incredible idea to try, tomorrow I will go where my friend, which I tell you before,he will help me checking the board, if all looks fine ,make those blessed bridges in the resistors.Then everything will be happiness.
    thanks for all your time guys, I really apreciate all your answers.

Last edited by GuitarJav, May 8, 2017
  3. GuitarJav

GuitarJav Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2010
    Ecuador
    OK guys I did it; To the end were the resistors I was talking about (the ones that mark 98.7 - 102.7 ,the small ones), I'm very happy with the result, now it's heard quite loudly, that I even have to lower it a level so as not to hurt me. The small resistors was removed. I really like the sound characteristics of the DSi XL, That is why I wanted to complete the mod. Thank you for AALLL the help lend you guys, Now I can rest in peace.

In the video the first 15 seconds its an approximation of how it sounds factory.
    After that I turn up the volume to the maximum.

Last edited by GuitarJav, May 8, 2017
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Sweet! Job well done. I wasn't sure about those components, I'm used to SMT resistors being normally black, but to be fair, all SMT components look the same to me. You can't tell them apart without a good magnifying glass or a handheld microscope. I guess we have another machine mapped then - great! Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any markings at all on those things?

EDIT: Oh, you mean smaller in size? The 100-odd ohm ones? Yeah, that'd make sense, actually.

5. GuitarJav

GuitarJav Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2010
    Ecuador
    I remove the ones that mark me 98.7(right side) - 102.7(left side) ,the small ones.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Yeah, I figured it out after another look at the photo, I just wanted to be sure. :P

7. Nazosan

Nazosan GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2009
    United States
    My suspicion is the gray ones are capacitors for filtering. It looks like the results probably came out more or less just as they should and I'm glad it worked out. I sort of wish my headphones were sensitive enough to require turning down from the max like you say though. I still have to use an amp for any serious listening even with my more sensitive ones. At least it's more than good enough for all but stuff like music games though. On that note, the 3DS turns out to actually have a really good audio quality, but do NOT use the built in audio player software. I don't know what it does -- probably the filters it passes the sound through before the output to be able to do the effects (even if all are disabled) -- but the end result is awful. For a long time I thought the 3DS had a horrible sound system until Etrian Odyssey came out and proved how false this really was.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Capacitors would make sense given the extremely low measured resistance. I have no idea what they're doing on an audio output, but hey.