Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
food_Art_14_thumb.jpg

I'll be sitting over here enjoying another one and a half years of not trading you and your superior performance for your younger sisters with their pretty dresses.

XP, I love you.

Also, for those who don't know, today is her 10th birthday. What a great 10 years this has been.

pspunabletohack

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
AlanJohn said:
pspunabletohack said:
I still use Windows XP i updated to Windows 7 but ... i downgraded back to Windows XP it's more powerfull !!!!
wat

Anyways HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!
I still run it on my laptop because it can't run 7.
I Mean my computer is also old yeah specs:
Ati Radeon x300SE 128mb
2gb ram (ddr2)

so i mean XP does run better on it than 7

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Bye XP, I won't miss you with your lackluster security (malware, exploits, blah blah).

(I do miss 98 and DOS, though
frown.gif
)
Luckily, she's actually here to stay until April 2014.

And "Malware, exploits, blah blah" is and has been the deal for every Windows version. How you can miss 98 and DOS while hating on XP for it's lack of the security features of NT6 is quite hard to understand, there's not even a comparison between how much security was increased from NT5 (2000, XP) to NT6 (Vista, 7) and the huge security increase in the switch from DOS-based 9x to NT.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mazor said:
raulpica said:
Bye XP, I won't miss you with your lackluster security (malware, exploits, blah blah).

frown.gif
)

And "Malware, exploits, blah blah" is and has been the deal for every Windows version. How you can miss 98 and DOS while hating on XP for it's lack of the security features of NT6 is quite hard to understand, there's not even a comparison between how much security was increased from NT5 (2000, XP) to NT6 (Vista, 7) and the huge security increase in the switch from DOS-based 9x to NT.

He's saying he misses 98 and DOS, probably because he liked DOS. That comment had nothing to do with security. 7 is better at this point for a few reasons over XP. Most XP lovers that can actually run 7 well on their machine just stare at XP through nostalgia glasses. Yes, it was a nice operating system. No, I don't think 7 is a downgrade because people are picky bastards about how it looks. I think more program and game compatibility is a pretty big plus for myself, among other things.

With that, I say, happy birthday to Windows XP. You served your purpose and you served it well for the time that I had you.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I just left it exactly a week ago for Seven. It feels weird.

You won't be replaced, XP, I'll remember you each time I double click something.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My netbook is running XP. I can run 7 on it, but it just wasn't worth the extra processor power.

Also, that is the coolest sushi cake ever.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XP is fantastic. I'm still using it too. My old xp pc is 10 years old now...gathering dust..

My current PC runs XP too. Its just that awesome.

And I won't get a virus or anything since I'm not an idiot.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
someonewhodied said:
That's uneducated thinking. You don't have to "be stupid", simply being on the internet at all can land you infections.

What's that? You only browse safe sites so you're good? Think again.
What's that, you don't use IE and don't click on everything so you're safe? Think again.

This is not 2001, you can't just walk around and assume that infections only arise from stupid actions.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nathan Drake said:
Mazor said:
raulpica said:

frown.gif
)

He's saying he misses 98 and DOS, probably because he liked DOS. That comment had nothing to do with security. 7 is better at this point for a few reasons over XP.
Exactly that. Thanks for pointing it out
tongue.gif

I do say that of XP because I work as a PC technician, and I can assure you that the sheer number of infected XP PCs over the Vista/7 ones is astoundishing. As Rydian points out, nowadays you can get crap in your PC even by just surfing. And XP is a magnet for stuff like that, since it's an aging architecture.

Back in the DOS-based 9x days the virus/hijack risk was negligible, since people weren't connected 24/7. And other than that, I miss DOS. DOS was awesome.

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
someonewhodied said:
That's uneducated thinking. You don't have to "be stupid", simply being on the internet at all can land you infections.

What's that? You only browse safe sites so you're good? Think again.
What's that, you don't use IE and don't click on everything so you're safe? Think again.

This is not 2001, you can't just walk around and assume that infections only arise from stupid actions.

There are simple ways to prevent getting infected.
1. Get an antivirus that is constantly updated (Protecting you from MOST older threats)
2. Not visit suspicious sites.
3. Not download suspicious content.
4. Not give my teamviewer info to anyone.

It doesn't mean I CAN"T get a virus. It just greatly reduces the chance, almost to zero.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Personally I can't stand using XP anymore, mainly due to the menu reorganization and the lack of a dynamic start bar. I'm so used to being able to tap the windows key and access \\server\share or type a few letters of a program or control panel applet name... and then there's the broad-overview network/sharing center, the fact that Windows Update is actually semi-competent at getting drivers now, tons of improvements.

someonewhodied said:
There are simple ways to prevent getting infected.
Yes, those are all valid methods, but that's not what you posted.
tongue.gif
I don't want people to read posts like your earlier one and think they can pull it off with only the info they read in that post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    eBay sells Xbox 360s for £30.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I wonder if there's an hdmi adapter for the old model
    cos that jtag works pretty damn good
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, ik its a scam, thats why i mentioned it
    +1
    even though it is a system prone to rrod which it doesn't have
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I would not recommend 360 phat models anymore, slims are better, and RGH3 possible, phats only rgh1 or jtag
    +1
    ya but phat has ps2 chip in it :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This is a great buying guide that I recommend.
    my rgh systems glitch pretty damn fast
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Except Winchester, which even to this day, is not moddable.
    +1
    now I'm trying to figure out PS4 modding.
    +1
    looks easy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, It definitely did take a while for the PS4 to be fully hacked, much like the PS Vita.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sony has announced that they will be using a non-x86 processor for their next-gen console.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Amazon fire sticks switching to a custom linuxOs instead of Android, sucks for 3rd party apks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, is the red ring of death still common in phat xbox 360s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, And Linux, regardless of its distro, is still easy to install 3rd-party modifications.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yes, phats are just a good heater for the winter months
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yes, its only relatively common on early models.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, then the chance of potentially me wanting to have a phat xbox 360 is -1%
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If you have one, then chances are is that it needs a reballing of the chips.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If you can Get a slim, even if few dollars more, do it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    @BigOnYa im atm fine with my ps3
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Falcon RGH models are fine, but a slim model is slightly more money apparently.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Falcon RGH models are fine, but a slim model is slightly more money apparently.