Halo and Gears 5 unsupported on Steam Deck "due to anti-cheat"

Screenshot 2022-03-11 133259.jpg

Xbox Game Studios posted an update to their Steam page yesterday, detailing some of their games' Steam Deck compatibility. Interestingly, none of the mainline Halo games will be playable on the Steam Deck, as both The Master Chief Collection and Halo Infinite are unsupported. (Halo 5 isn't on Steam, and there are apparently no plans to bring it.) The only other two titles confirmed to be unsupported right now are Gears 5 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, and the only reason is listed is "due to anti-cheat."

Below you can see a list of other games mentioned in the update; any titles not listed here are presumably still untested.

Verified
  • Deathloop
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Hellbalde: Senua's Sacrifice
  • The Evil Within
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Prey
  • Battletoads
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Playable
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Fallout 4
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Quantum Break
  • State of Decay: YOSE
:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
To further clarify, MCC runs on Linux/Steam Deck, but you can't play matchmaking as you have to disable EAC to run it. I'd assume Gears 5 is the same if you can disable EAC. Infinite is unplayable indefinitely, until 343/MS decide to change that stance.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To further clarify, MCC runs on Linux/Steam Deck, but you can't play matchmaking as you have to disable EAC to run it. I'd assume Gears 5 is the same if you can disable EAC. Infinite is unplayable indefinitely, until 343/MS decide to change that stance.
As much as I'd like to blame Epic for this, EAC support for Linux/Proton is now available, it's only a matter of the developer putting in a bit of work to enable it. Respawn didn't waste much time getting Apex Legends working on Steam Deck, after all.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
As much as I'd like to blame Epic for this, EAC support for Linux/Proton is now available, it's only a matter of the developer putting in a bit of work to enable it. Respawn didn't waste much time getting Apex Legends working on Steam Deck, after all.
Exactly. The option is there, but devs like Bungie firmly believe that opening the doors to Linux will only allow for more rampant cheating. I don't know what 343/MS are doing, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Xzi

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The option is there, but devs like Bungie firmly believe that opening the doors to Linux will only allow for more rampant cheating.
even if linux users cheated, that's like 0.00001% of the userbase cheating, since linux's userbase is already small on top of the fact there's an even smaller percentage of linux users who will cheat. it's really not a big deal. also what cheating tools would you even use on linux
I dont care about cheaters, I WANT MY PORTABLE HALO :cry::angry:

Reactions: Acetonide and Kioku

TyMiles2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Infinite is only due to a specific DX12 feature set that VKD3D isn't able to translate yet (And it will with time). The anti-cheat is server based. This was already confirmed not long after the multiplayer launched, the article just says that because people like to assume things. Once VKD3D can translate it properly, then Infinite will work. You can actually make the game launch with some workaround steps, but either it'll crash quickly, or the menu will run at 1fps or lower, again, due to VKD3D unable to translate properly and software can't do it.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Infinite is only due to a specific DX12 feature set that VKD3D isn't able to translate yet (And it will with time). The anti-cheat is server based. This was already confirmed not long after the multiplayer launched, the article just says that because people like to assume things. Once VKD3D can translate it properly, then Infinite will work. You can actually make the game launch with some workaround steps, but either it'll crash quickly, or the menu will run at 1fps or lower, again, due to VKD3D unable to translate properly and software can't do it.
That doesn't mean that 343/MS will allow players to play on Linux. My point still stands.

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gears 5 actually works for local stuff, but you need a workaround to disable EAC. No idea why that's not a separate launch item like it is for Halo MCC. They're both garbage ports regardless, but Steam Deck's still a better choice than streaming if you're looking to play on the go.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Gears 5 actually works for local stuff, but you need a workaround to disable EAC. No idea why that's not a separate launch item like it is for Halo MCC. They're both garbage ports regardless, but Steam Deck's still a better choice than streaming if you're looking to play on the go.
How are they garbage? Aside from launch issues, currently they both run fine for me. Genuinely curious.

McPringles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How are they garbage? Aside from launch issues, currently they both run fine for me. Genuinely curious.
I mean, they usually run fine (although last I tried MCC, cutscenes still desynced the audio and video when running the screen above 60Hz), but they're not feature-complete. Gears 5 only supports splitscreen in certain modes, and Halo MCC - a collection of games that for a generation defined and were defined by their local multiplayer features - has zero splitscreen support at all. MCC's theater mode also doesn't allow for saving and exporting clips, and you have to use external recording tools to do so; this was also a missing feature in the Xbox One MCC, but at least the system's built-in DVR tool could be used as a workaround.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I mean, they usually run fine (although last I tried MCC, cutscenes still desynced the audio and video when running the screen above 60Hz), but they're not feature-complete. Gears 5 only supports splitscreen in certain modes, and Halo MCC - a collection of games that for a generation defined and were defined by their local multiplayer features - has zero splitscreen support at all. MCC's theater mode also doesn't allow for saving and exporting clips, and you have to use external recording tools to do so; this was also a missing feature in the Xbox One MCC, but at least the system's built-in DVR tool could be used as a workaround.
Ah. Lack of split-screen is a huge negative for me. Especially in Halo, which thrived on split-screen LAN parties. It'd have been great to have the option, especially with multi-monitor support. I played Black Ops 3 Zombies with my screen on one monitor, and a buddy played on my TV. I guess I never saw that as a net negative for the port itself, though. Like you said, MCC's theater has always been bad and lacking, but I get it. I forget to run OBS, or setup Shadowplay.

I also feel like 343 just gave up on campaign. Even on Xbox, playing online CO-OP is a terrible experience. Not really surprised to hear about audio desync.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo