Homebrew Had anyone created a way to Local/Download Play region locked games via Homebrew?

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If not, then this is a waste of a thread. Well we could discussion about it.

The point is this. US and EUR 3ds systems will not connect via Local nor Download Play for some games. Since we've found a way to play any game region free via Homebrew, I wonder if someone would create an alternative Local/Download selection to bypass region locking.

Last edited by LuxerWap,

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can only do that with CFW because it allows region free .cias. Download Play works by sending over a download play .cia file, so it might work the same.

LuxerWap

The Green Husky with a Broken Tail
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can only do that with CFW because it allows region free .cias. Download Play works by sending over a download play .cia file, so it might work the same.
Hm. I didn't know a separate .CIA of Download Play existed. That might work, it think. Guess I'll try it out.

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. I didn't know a separate .CIA of Download Play existed. That might work, it think. Guess I'll try it out.

that's not what I meant

when you go to download play and select the game to connect to, the source 3ds sends over a .cia of the game to the target 3ds (where you selected the game for download play).

so if region patch is enabled on CFW, then the cia the source 3ds sends over will run and you can use the Download play for that game on another 3ds from another region.

Last edited by Aletron9000,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, there technically is no such thing as "region locked multiplayer"!

The "same" region-locked game released in different regions, is actually different titles each with its own titleid.
In the header or exheader, can't remember, each title specifies a "local gameplay ID" which specifies with which games it can connect: it usually matches the first release (so, usually Japan's) unique id...

...so, as far as the console knows, this isn't a matter of region lock: it's just avoiding a Pokemon player from disturbing your game of NSMB2, except that "Pokemon" is a foreign copy of NSMB2 and the developers didn't set its network ID to the same one of your region's!

(game names chosen at random, not actual example)

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, there technically is no such thing as "region locked multiplayer"!

The "same" region-locked game released in different regions, is actually different titles each with its own titleid.
In the header or exheader, can't remember, each title specifies a "local gameplay ID" which specifies with which games it can connect: it usually matches the first release (so, usually Japan's) unique id...

...so, as far as the console knows, this isn't a matter of region lock: it's just avoiding a Pokemon player from disturbing your game of NSMB2, except that "Pokemon" is a foreign copy of NSMB2 and the developers didn't set its network ID to the same one of your region's!

(game names chosen at random, not actual example)
Or, in some cases, there actually are region differences that impact netplay, but the developers were too lazy to fix. (Tri Force Heroes...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    some tasks like hacking wii mini consoles
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, You running Windows XP in 2024?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whore yourself out 12 times for $100 and go buy a pc
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i got xp but running it off usb only, no way ima keep that
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it gets hacked/corrupted if i just leave it online for an hour
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month...