Hacking Hacking the WiiU: A Simple Progress Guide

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway you can dump the vWii NAND so I can obtain the IOS' on my own is there any applications I can get them so I can start playing off my vWii?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
your straight answer: It's not possible to do what you are asking!

Nintendo made the WiiU asks to format EVERY TIME you connect a HDD not formated in WiiU format.
There's nothing to do against it.

If you don't want to see the message, disconnect your HDD every time you quit vWii mode.
Or use a WiiU incompatible HDD for vWii.

Nintendo didn't mak an option to "stop showing the message to please users with an USB loader in vWii" ... oh wait, it's not official to have a HDD connected in vWii, of course they didn't thought of not displaying message for these users.

And about a guide, If there's no guide, please read stickied thread, and damysteryman vWii cIOS thread. All the tools and knowledge are in there. you only need to read and understand what to do to prevent a brick.

Theophilus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which means...?

If it's involved with USB loading, great. Speaking of which, what about hard drives on the Wii U? What about the whole format HDD prompt message that pops up, why hasn't anyone answered that? I'm going to keep asking until I get a straight answer.
The OP still says a vwii-compatible d2x hasn't been released yet, which is no longer true. All the tools are out now to be able to have loaders work. I was just trying to prompt an update to the progress guide.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D2X vWii was released but its not perfect, so far, only base58 loads games. base 56 and 57 exit to the System Menu.

So for now, Installing d2x vWii base58 in Slot249 makes games run without manually setting the IOS used.

If i were OP, I would update post with "Partial" status and say that USB loading works but base58 needs to be in slot249 and the USB loaders used need to updated for them to work.
So far, WiiFlow works fine but i have heard mixed stories about USB Loader GX.

Theophilus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D2X vWii was released but its not perfect, so far, only base58 loads games. base 56 and 57 exit to the System Menu.

So for now, Installing d2x vWii base58 in Slot249 makes games run without manually setting the IOS used.

If i were OP, I would update post with "Partial" status and say that USB loading works but base58 needs to be in slot249 and the USB loaders used need to updated for them to work.
So far, WiiFlow works fine but i have heard mixed stories about USB Loader GX.

I used the Slot 250 version of the GX all-in-one installer, and so far all two of the games I've tested (Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime Trilogy) have worked, and features like downloading covers over wifi also work, whereas wiiflow hangs trying to establish a connection. In any case, the d2x install process was anything but simple, especially for a noob like me, but at least it's better than what's described in the post.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the Slot 250 version of the GX all-in-one installer, and so far all two of the games I've tested (Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime Trilogy) have worked, and features like downloading covers over wifi also work, whereas wiiflow hangs trying to establish a connection. In any case, the d2x install process was anything but simple, especially for a noob like me, but at least it's better than what's described in the post.

WiiFlow does not hang for me, and i even used the USB Lan adapter with my harddrive plugged in, but i used D2X vWii-ALT, which has hotplug and supports 2 USB devices at a time.

Also, could you provide a link to the GX all-in-one you used, I have not heard of any other installers being updated for vWii Support other then the Fix94 mod one and 2.2 (via IOS236).

Theophilus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiFlow does not hang for me, and i even used the USB Lan adapter with my harddrive plugged in, but i used D2X vWii-ALT, which has hotplug and supports 2 USB devices at a time.

Also, could you provide a link to the GX all-in-one you used, I have not heard of any other installers being updated for vWii Support other then the Fix94 mod one and 2.2 (via IOS236).
I used d2x beta53 from here: http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/downloads/list, with cios installer 2.2 and the fruit of fstoolbox + showmiinand.
The GX I'm using is from May 2012, "USBLoader_GX_V3_0_AllinOnePackage_IOS250.zip" here: http://code.google.com/p/usbloader-gui/downloads/list
And the wiiflow I'm using is 4.0.5 from here: http://code.google.com/p/wiiflow/downloads/list

They both load games, it's just the cover download that breaks wiiflow (come to think of it now, this also broke when I tried it on my old Wii), and none of the forwarders work for me (somebody pointed out to me they probably all need to be updated). I haven't tried dumping a disc, since I already have all my games backed up.

pcmantinker

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.gamerfootprint.com
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm this works on my Wii U's Wii Mode. I dumped my wads using Bluedump 0.3 alpha and used the cios installer 2.2 and chose IOS 236 for installation. I am using Wiiflow 4.0.5 and have been able to download cover art. You have to download the covers manually for each game as you load them. It doesn't seem to download them when you click download all.

EDIT:
It appears as though dumping discs works. I just dumped Wii Sports to do a quick test. No issues in backing up or playing.

Reactions: Theophilus

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The OP still says a vwii-compatible d2x hasn't been released yet, which is no longer true. All the tools are out now to be able to have loaders work. I was just trying to prompt an update to the progress guide.

And i'll be updating the thread when a proper tutorial arrives. Driverdis, can you get in touch with me to help write down a preliminary tutorial regarding setting things up?

Reactions: Theophilus

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There has got to be a way to prevent HDD format prompts, besides unplugging/plugging it in every time.
Nope. Part of the Firmware.
Perhaps when UMode is hacked, but until then, you'll just have to either plug it in after booting to vWii, or just hit cancel every time the prompt appears.

And honestly, is a single cancellable prompt on boot/plugin really that annoying?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Part of the Firmware.
Perhaps when UMode is hacked, but until then, you'll just have to either plug it in after booting to vWii, or just hit cancel every time the prompt appears.

And honestly, is a single cancellable prompt on boot/plugin really that annoying?

No, the pop up itself isn't annoying, the potentiality of inadvertently pressing "yes" is, as is exacerbated wear and tear by hot-plugging the HDD while it's on. Knowing my luck, I'd probably do it. I'll at least install the HBC, at least that can't be deleted by accident.

muskieratboi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No, the pop up itself isn't annoying, the potentiality of inadvertently pressing "yes" is, as is exacerbated wear and tear by hot-plugging the HDD while it's on. Knowing my luck, I'd probably do it. I'll at least install the HBC, at least that can't be deleted by accident.

You could buy a really big SD card, maybe? :P

Porro88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Installed d2x with d2x installer mod for ios58, using the last version of usb loader GX, ios249 (with cIos56 installed) and works like a charm, i didn't even changed from ios249 to ios251... Btw I tried Zelda SS, donkey kong country return, disney universe, just dance 3, kirby adventure wii and xenoblade and everyone works like a charm

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, base 56 is working too?
I guess users who tested and reported that only IOS58 as working was due to their HDD. (some HDD and Wii don't like cIOS and prefer IOS58 ehci)

Porro88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm using the same HDD i used with USB loader since it first cane out...and i forgot to say that it's formatted in wbfs...maybe the hdd I'm using and its filesystem are cIos56 compatible...I'll investigate further

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo