mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
you misinterpreted his post.

please be careful when writing, to not misinform people. the 3ds doesn't get bricked if the md5 is simply wrong. an user tried to manually corrupt it many times and rebooted the console 30 times (he said), and no brick.
there are more security checks than just the md5 one.
you misinterpreted his post.

please be careful when writing, to not misinform people. the 3ds doesn't get bricked if the md5 is simply wrong. an user tried to manually corrupt it many times and rebooted the console 30 times (he said), and no brick.
there are more security checks than just the md5 one.

Actually, the sanitysanity involves a SHA256 and a RSA signature, that's both before the ARM9 payload execution (happens in the ROP chain) so that seems pretty "safe" to me, although somehow it seems despite all this, few "legit" users did brick. As I have once said in the past, neither the msec exploit, nor the rsa_verify request exploit are 100% stable, so who knows what could happen ? Leaving a brick code, no matter what the circumstances are is never a good idea. GW devs need to remove it, even if just to reassure their userbase. There are plenty if smarter and just as effective ways to protect their IP. (As in Intellectual Property)

Reactions: Rob Blou

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, the sanitysanity involves a SHA256 and a RSA signature, that's both before the ARM9 payload execution (happens in the ROP chain) so that seems pretty "safe" to me, although somehow it seems despite all this, few "legit" users did brick. As I have once said in the past, neither the msec exploit, nor the rsa_verify request exploit are 100% stable, so who knows what could happen ? Leaving a brick code, no matter what the circumstances are is never a good idea. GW devs need to remove it, even if just to reassure their userbase. There are plenty if smarter and just as effective ways to protect their IP. (As in Intellectual Property)
Hmm... How to protect it then (just for sake of curiosity)
I've heard that GW wouldn't be capable of destroying the clone carts because of the FPGA (or something) on them isn't reprogrammable...

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm... How to protect it then (just for sake of curiosity)
I've heard that GW wouldn't be capable of destroying the clone carts because of the FPGA (or something) on them isn't reprogrammable...
Make it hard as heck to clone by either requiring an update of one of the updatable components that are not updatable in the clones? Add more checks all over the place that make it crash? Especially the former would be a good idea (although they'd just release new cards probably)

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure that's been debunked. The cards are much too similar for this to be the case.
Hmm... I see... I just wanna know tbh if they coukd freeze the carts instead so that ot forces clone teams to make their fw instead...
I also wanna know if it's possible to remove the brick code...

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Y
Make it hard as heck to clone by either requiring an update of one of the updatable components that are not updatable in the clones? Add more checks all over the place that make it crash? Especially the former would be a good idea (although they'd just release new cards probably)
Both, I think, are very good ideas.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I see... I just wanna know tbh if they coukd freeze the carts instead so that ot forces clone teams to make their fw instead...

It might be possible, but I think they might wait until the 2.0 final release for that, since it will apparently contain code for this anyway (For use by legitimate users).

I also wanna know if it's possible to remove the brick code...

It would be difficult, since the code is compiled, and there are more than a few different triggers of the bricking code (Apparently). More than possible, however.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...So far. ;)

You take Gateway's actions so seriously, maybe this could be your signature ?
gateway.huntereb.jpg

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i would say its probable that smealum will add region free for original carts....i don't see any reason for him not too, it doesn't help piracy and he seems all for removing the current restrictions on the 3ds without enabling piracy

Reactions: Huntereb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!