Hacking GW multirom demo

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So Gateway say no deliberate bricking code.

Ok, burden is on the foot of the anti-Gateway conspiracy theorists to prove otherwise now - isn't it?

And psuedo code suggesting that 1/16 of clone card users will be bricked won't do.
Also your proof must explain why some Gateway card users also have reported bricks (especially after all the crap suggestions based on corrupt sd cards etc)
Actual proof is highly unlikely to happen from both sides. You have the choice to either trust the shady business making money off piracy (which is pretty much illegal) or trust the hackers, who have a pretty good reputation overall (and at least some of them are against piracy).

I'd trust the hackers myself.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have no financial relationship with clone cards ?
There sure alot of allegations here and elsewhere.
Why would people gain from accusing you specifically ?
It seems hard to believe anything these days.

/confused
Do you actually know what he did in the past before even believing that he worked for the clones? Most GBAtempers know, which is why we do not believe what GW say about him.

Actual proof is highly unlikely to happen from both sides. You have the choice to either trust the shady business making money off piracy (which is pretty much illegal) or trust the hackers, who have a pretty good reputation overall (and at least some of them are against piracy).

I second this, as well

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
they send this email to Devin

Code:
I replied to you already. You did not receive my email? I will paste it below.
It could be because you had a dev unit, and a particular one since we had to
resend it, because the first parcel, someone took the red card inside. That's
the only thing we can think of. You D/Lded the firmware from our site link
right? And yes, don't worry, we will fix your unit. send bill for shipping back
and a paypal address, we will refund return cost. It is good because although it
is most likely due to the dev unit, we will analyze everything to see what
happen, and make a report, as you would be the first real bricking of Gateway,
since all others we saw right away it was clone or normatt modified launcher.
And in fact, depending on what we find, the fact the dev unit provoked it might
help us understand what is happening even more. But we will know all that after
a full scan and study of the console and what's in it.

-------
You would be unlucky, but of course we will fix it. We had like 15 consoles
returned so far, mostly Brazilian and other developing countries where almost
only clones sell. And as expected, every single one was due to another launcher
file. This is why we made it clear in our RMA email (see below) because we don't
want again their problem to cause us wasted time on RMA for nothing, but we know
some people will take their chance. We cant show them how we know, because it
would help those cloners who are wasting our time, but if they knew, they
wouldn't bother as it is pretty obvious when you know and have pretty simple
hardware...

We normally collect them from reseller, but as you received it direct from us, i
ask a forwarder to collect it for us. Write on the box with your 'from' address
'FOR GW team', so they know it is for us, and we will collect it.
Simply return the console, including SD card, gateway card and if possible your
NAND back up to:
You don't think I'd put the address do you?

I am bit curious why they wanted gateway card from him and also sd card inclued on package? Maybe this is why they wanna check what launchers he was tested etc - by using some data recovery software? - maybe t is as they said "reading 3ds as a book".

But I am also confused about if they made dump of eshop data with passwords or credit card data etc - this is china so is is risky and I recomend change passwords, but credit card number and confirming code isn't changeable...

But good thing for users - we could refer to devin's case as to get refund for shipment...

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
You have no financial relationship with clone cards ?
There sure alot of allegations here and elsewhere.
Why would people gain from accusing you specifically ?
It seems hard to believe anything these days.

/confused

People probably assume I am because of my work on AKAIO. I have not and never will work with another flashcart company.

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Where did they say there is no brick code? They never denied it.

Ok, burden is on the foot of the anti-Gateway conspiracy theorists to prove otherwise now - isn't it?

And psuedo code suggesting that 1/16 of clone card users will be bricked won't do.
Also your proof must explain why some Gateway card users also have reported bricks (especially after all the crap suggestions based on corrupt sd cards etc)

You would not understand it like the most of the users here (low level ASM stuff) so you are bound again to what the users say, which understand it. So it's useless.

Are you kidding me? I gave everyone the info and saved some users a lot of money and stress. You can see the fact on the forum. But i know already, what will happen. You try to proof shit like with the ARM9, where you have no proof yourself.

Reactions: Nightwish

wiewcw

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Normmatt they only wanted to give someone to blame... I don't trust them! Why they not give info for "legit" users about not use modded loaders when they released beta? it is normal for devs to give info about risk....

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Pong posted this on the brick thread, it was found on GW's launcher and could be the actual bricker code:
Code:
0x10410,0x10) MMC_SET_BLOCKLEN

0x50c1b,0) //PROGRAM_CSD

0x50c2a,0x0) setpass

0x10410,0x200) MMC_SET_BLOCKLEN

Reactions: cearp and profi200

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

I must add - again - even if coders like Normmatt publishes the source code of 2.0b2, unencripted, de-compiled, comment the code, highlighting the important sectors that are related to bricking routines, most people, even some programmers, won't actually understand what's happening there. Also there are the GW Defense Force people that are going to ask more and more until their 3DS running the 2.0b2 gets a brick.
And there's always the case of chinese mafia asking this to get the code and make their own clone of gateway :O

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Where did they say there is no brick code? They never denied it.

You would not understand it like the most of the users here (low level ASM stuff) so you are bound again to what the users say, which understand it. So it's useless.

Are you kidding me? I gave everyone the info and saved some users a lot of money and stress. You can see the fact on the forum. But i know already, what will happen. You try to proof shit like with the ARM9, where you have no proof yourself.
Ah, this time I didn't even notice it. They managed to carefully avoid commenting on the existence of the bricking code yet again.

Reactions: profi200

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my reply:

Thanks for your answer,
I do appreciate it and I really think the multirom video you posted is amazing.
However, the problem is actually not the people that had bricked consoles
but the fact that there is bricking code in you Launcher. Even if you say it's 100% safe for GW users,
There will always be doubts in customers mind and there's no way to prove to them that the code is 100% safe.
There's got to be another way to protect your precious work! With everything you've accomplished so far, I'm sure you can come up with something!

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
People probably assume I am because of my work on AKAIO. I have not and never will work with another flashcart company.

Are you seriously replying to shill claims? You don't need to prove your integrity to anyone. Your actions and your past contributions already did. In this case your claims were proven later by other sources.
So please don't waste your time.
The witch-hunting will continue anyways.
It's either Chinese pirate mafioso propaganda nazis, or a conspiracy by anti-piracy homebrew devs, or from the mail above "the 3DS must have lost its virginity because it's from said country, and it's certain they're all using pirate clones or are pirate mafia Chinese Brazilian nazis
Oh please. A renowed homebrew dev should be above this bullshit.
They'll get their asses handed to them eventually with a software solution anyways, and they're only accelerating their demise here.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just be patient. When the low level eMMC communication tools will work, we will be able to see if the eMMC was indeed passkey protected as that status is reflected in one of it's registers.
The coincidence of such happening due to a bug is nearly non existent.
Besides that, the fact that gateway knows how to unbrick, even without nand backup proves that they know exactly what happened.
In case of an accidental bug, they wouldn't be so convinced they could fix the issue as they wouldn't know themself what causes the brick.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So Normmatt, do you believe that the original 2.0b2 launcher can cause brick?
You have more knowledge than most of us here so I'd like to have your thoughts on the situation (all false accusations aside)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also brb