Hacking GW 2.0 White Stripes Crash

mmfsm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So its not like 1.2 where you just go into gateway mode, so we HAVE to make an emunand?
Because i was planning to not use that feature at all as ive seen a few people lose their original firmware and id rather not risk that.
you wont loose the ofw as long as you follow instuctions, its not really hard, just follow step by step and make sure you update trough system while on gw mode.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't insert the GW card or any game card (leave the slot empty) when booting to emunand. You'll never have grey stripes anymore.

Insert your game when emunand booted

not for me, im on 4.5.10E and maybe 60% of the time i get gray lines. Sometimes i get through with cartridge inserted sometimes with it out.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guys ... all the methods mentioned in this thread couldn't fix it for me so I tried another SD card (Sandisk) instead of my 2 lexar that came with my 2 3ds and It worked ... the issue for me was the freakin stock SD card :D

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you're replying to this thread, please mention your setup (just the launcher, emunand installed, emunand updated) and how you boot up (holding L or not), cartridge inserted or not.

For me, a lot of the problems seemed to have gone away after updating my emunand to 6.3 and booting up through the GW menu (by holding L).
Holding L long or short doesn't seem to make much difference for me though...

For example:
I turned it on last night, did the keep holding L thing: 3DS hung with white lines.
Turned it off and back on: removed game card and booted up holding L: hanging with white lines.
Turned it off and back on: game card was in, just held L til in the GW menu, then entered emunand: white lines for 3 seconds then emunand loaded (normal for me).

I normally always used the last way of booting up, and it hadn't frozen on me for at least the last 6 times or so that I turned it on.

mmfsm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you're replying to this thread, please mention your setup (just the launcher, emunand installed, emunand updated) and how you boot up (holding L or not), cartridge inserted or not.

For me, a lot of the problems seemed to have gone away after updating my emunand to 6.3 and booting up through the GW menu (by holding L).
Holding L long or short doesn't seem to make much difference for me though...

For example:
I turned it on last night, did the keep holding L thing: 3DS hung with white lines.
Turned it off and back on: removed game card and booted up holding L: hanging with white lines.
Turned it off and back on: game card was in, just held L til in the GW menu, then entered emunand: white lines for 3 seconds then emunand loaded (normal for me).

I normally always used the last way of booting up, and it hadn't frozen on me for at least the last 6 times or so that I turned it on.

same thing, it was a miracle that it booted before updating emunand, after that i think it has happened once? in over ten times. im also booting from gui

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
After investigating for a bit, I came to understand (and I may be wrong in this) that the crash is due to GW's own anti-clone measures.
The payload will try to detect the GW hardware, if the hardware is present, il will (for some reason that is, at this time unknown to me) start a routine that talks to the ASIC in order to perform some crypto (again, no idea why that is, but I assume it has something to do with getting rid of clones).
The problem is sometimes the payload cannot "talk" to the ASIC (read, the card isn't err... properly connected) and it eventually will crash.

The answer to the issue is simple, just start GW mode without the GW card inserted, that way it isn't detected and the ASIC crypto routine never gets called. (instead it calls some other routine that will probably wait until you insert the card to perform the crypto with the ASIC, though that part is just an assumption at this point)

Of course there are other reasons it may crash as well, (a bug in their code, the NAND on the SD card cannot be read properly or is corrupt...) I the one I described above is just one of the many reasons getting into the GW mode can fail.

Reactions: Cyan
D

Deleted User

mathieulh

People are saying they cannot get it to boot sometimes without red card inserted, and sometimes it does work without red card inserted. Currently it seems like hit and miss. But if you say it is the ASIC anticlone detection then having no red card inserted should always work ? (what else is different each boot?)

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
mathieulh

People are saying they cannot get it to boot sometimes without red card inserted, and sometimes it does work without red card inserted. Currently it seems like hit and miss. But if you say it is the ASIC anticlone detection then having no red card inserted should always work ? (what else is different each boot?)

I am only saying going to GW mode without the card on will increase your chances of it to work without crashing.
As I have stated this is just one of the many reasons things could go wrong, the payload being at a beta stage it wouldn't surprise me if bugs were to occur. It isn't like Nintendo planned for something such as EmuNAND to happen either, so some patches need to be performed which can lead to the whole thing being somewhat unstable depending on what gets patched. Also the eMMC on the 3DS is probably faster and more reliable than your SD card.

That's one of the reasons EmuNAND seems kinda slower than the real thing.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was having the gateway crash with white lines across both screens while trying to boot into gateway mode, I have found a way that works and had worked every time so far. When you boot from the DS profile into the gateway GUI (holding L as usual) keep your finger on the L bumper for about 5 seconds then let go, boot into gateway mode and you will not have any crashes. I have been booting gateway mode for the last two days this way and I have had zero crashes................sudeki300

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
i use stock toshiba 2GB, frequent crash. however when using stock samsung 2GB, no crash. i think it has something to do with SD card itself. hm. i might be wrong.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you are in 4.5.0-10x it works fine.
You only need emunand (updated past 4.1) because you are still on 4.1

You can update your RealNAND to 4.5 with a retail game, or with GW 1.0+ROM, and Zelda will work on RealNAND 4.5.0-10.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
if you are in 4.5.0-10x it works fine.
You only need emunand (updated past 4.1) because you are still on 4.1

You can update your RealNAND to 4.5 with a retail game, or with GW 1.0+ROM, and Zelda will work on RealNAND 4.5.0-10.
Is it safe to update using GW1.0+ROM? I believe Team Gateway warned against that. Devin also mentioned it in his review.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've just read today 2 users did it without problem.
I don't know why it's not advised, maybe they fear that the game is not written correctly to the microSD and has a corrupted update partition?

wintermute808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I too have experienced this issue and for what I can tell, there is a solution that works for most crashes. This may have already been said but here you go.
1. If you experience a hard reset, reinstall the launcher from the blue card. I dont know why I needed to, it may only be mental.
2. I have 100 percent GW mode successful launches if after I enter into the GUI menu, I wait ten long seconds, then launch gateway mode. I always enter the gui in this method and I always count to ten slowly. If I go quicker than that, I usually get a grey crash. I also dont hold the L button after it loads the menu. Let me know if this works for others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: America ya~