Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ronhero used the server update method, not the 10.3J downgrade method, so since this title was already installed on his 8.1J, it was probably skipped by the official updater (my conjecture).

i followed the tutorial for server update method, and there were still specific instructions to delete 000400102002CA00, so i just deleted it anyway just to be safe. i believe the SOAP that was bundled with the server was from yifan, so do you mean even if i do have that title in, it wouldn't brick? if not, was there any modification in ron's SOAP entries?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i followed the tutorial for server update method, and there were still specific instructions to delete 000400102002CA00, so i just deleted it anyway just to be safe. i believe the SOAP that was bundled with the server was from yifan, so do you mean even if i do have that title in, it wouldn't brick? if not, was there any modification in ron's SOAP entries?
I can't say for sure man, I didn't use the server method at all. I went from 8.1J to 10.3J and downgraded to fake 9.1J from there.
I think the toturial you followed (obviously not the first post from this tread, no mention of 000400102002CA00 there) took into account that this title was troublesome and since it wasn't changed from 8.1J, might as well not bother with it.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i used this one: http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-upgrading-8-1-0-0j-to-9-2-0-20j.384960/page-31#post-5876022

pretty awesome and straightforward. it's almost impossible to mess up. so from 10.3 back to 9.2, i'm guessing 000400102002CA00 was not changed at all as it didn't affect the downgrading at all? if that hasn't changed since 8.1, would that mean we can take 000400102002CA00 from 10.3 and shove it with the 9.2 update and make it update without a hitch?

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Just FYI to anyone trying this as a precaution make sure to have access to your battery. My server flaked out the other night and I noticed the log wasn't writing after I updated for a few seconds. Pulled the battery and reset the server solved it but it was a close call

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PROTIP: If you're paranoid, set up the Tubehax DNS servers. Also, when you start the process you can check the Apache server logs for accesses from your network. I don't recall the exact menu it's under, but I checked it repeatedly to be sure the IP of my n3DS was downloading files from it rather than the internet.

Also - I ended up running it in Win7 compatibility mode with the firewall disabled temporarily.

I would've preferred to run this all natively under linux, but if the method works, use it! :yaynds:

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before giving up I thought I'd ask. Is it all possible to host a 10.3 and update to that instead of 10.5 from recovery mode? Softbricked during downgrade :( i'd assume not since the first post indicates modifications need to be made on the 3ds side via NTR. Thanks.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before giving up I thought I'd ask. Is it all possible to host a 10.3 and update to that instead of 10.5 from recovery mode? Softbricked during downgrade :( i'd assume not since the first post indicates modifications need to be made on the 3ds side via NTR. Thanks.

definitely not. if this was possible, nobody would have been stressing here.

cultopi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, if you can find the offsets (Netupdate and ecommerce soaps) for whatever firmware you are on. And you need NTR to patch those in debugger mode.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought I'd share..... with a list of a few others, AXIWRAM has indeed been dumped perfectly by me and the testing of others!! Meaning YES SOON mset for cfw on 8.1 will be a thing! I have to find time to complete the rest. but Right now I have bigger and a better project that needs me. Sorry, but there's your update. Enjoy.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's great news @laramie, but i think everyone on 8.1.0-0J already updated or already own a gateway.

absolutely no reason not to use gateway on n3DS

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, but this is just more for more cfw compad. i had no intentions of releasing this as a "fix" it can be used as a fix by all means but it's mainly for documentation. 3dbrew and most devs don't know to much about the 8.1 n3ds and once i get mine back, there will be a lot more I can release for info on it. ;)

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i used to love MSET until homemenuhax autoboot came along. MSET has more success loading CFW, but homemenuhax autoboot is better for me as I am lazy.

i do hope you're meaning to port homemenuhax to 8.1, as 8.1.0J already launched with themes.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Can we setup a home DNS server and just DNS redirect to our SOAP response instead of changing the NIM? (there is some https trickery there, right?)

Let me rephrase it. Can this be used without NTR?

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol