Tutorial  Updated

How to use GW+Luma3DS+A9LH

Since I've seen so many threads about people having trouble using Gateway alongside A9LH, I thought that I'd finally pop my guide cherry to provide the information in a centralized location. This guide assumes that you've already followed Plailect's OTP guide up to at least Part 5, Section III.

Until Gateway comes out with their A9LH payload, there are pretty much two ways to boot into Gateway Mode while using Luma3DS+A9LH. They both involve the use of EmuNAND, so the choice really comes down to which would you like to be more convenient: booting into GW Mode (10.7 EmuNAND) or installing GBA/DSiWare (10.7 SysNAND). Make sure that "Use SysNAND FIRM as default" is turned off and "Autoboot SysNAND" is turned on in either setup for it to work properly.

1. If booting straight into GW Mode is of importance, then you will need a 9.2 SysNAND and a 10.7 EmuNAND. On the 9.2 SysNAND, set up MenuHax with Trigger 1 (no-buttons) and CtrBootManager to autoboot GW.3dsx.

The drawbacks to this setup are that you're still relying on MenuHax and GBA/DSiWare have to be double installed to work with EmuNAND. However, I find this build to be far more user-friendly for everyday use. Want to boot into GW Mode? Insert GW card and press the power button. Want to play GBA/DSiWare? Hold L while turning on the console.

2. If ease of installing GBA/DSiWare is more important, then you will need a 10.7 SysNAND and 9.2 EmuNAND. On the 9.2 EmuNAND you can either use MenuHax+CtrBootManager as above or the GW Launcher cia file. If using MenuHax+CtrBootManager, you should use Trigger 1 (L) for your MenuHax trigger and set the CtrBootManager recovery to any button other than L. Regardless of method chosen to launch GW.3dsx, you have to access the Gateway Menu by holding L at launch or not having the GW card inserted. Then, you have to hold B to bring up the Gateway SysNAND option and press X to confirm.

The tradeoff here is having to install GBA/DSiWare once in exchange for steps added to launching GW Mode each time you power on the system. With this setup, you'll have to hold L while booting to get into GW Mode. To boot into Luma3DS to play GBA/DSiWare, just turn on the 3DS.

Regardless of which method you choose, I recommend installing Quick Reboot to make switching between GW and Luma3DS easier. It saves you from having to turn the 3DS off and on whenever you're switching.

Last edited by zhdarkstar,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really stuck. I have 4.2 FW and 9.7 emunand, and there's so many steps.

Would be great if there was a non cart based exploit for HBL for 4.x ofw to get things rolling.

Normally I jump into cfw and things of that nature, but al9h looks like a huge amount of steps compared to GW.

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really stuck. I have 4.2 FW and 9.7 emunand, and there's so many steps.

Would be great if there was a non cart based exploit for HBL for 4.x ofw to get things rolling.

Normally I jump into cfw and things of that nature, but al9h looks like a huge amount of steps compared to GW.
Start with this before Step 1 of the OTP Guide. This will get you from 4.2 to 9.2 without the use of a cart exploit, as long as you have a browser. https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Just be forewarned that any games that use the 6.x save encryption key will need to have their saves decrypted before you update to 9.2 and then encrypted after the update. See this guide for more information about decrypting save files. http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-the-emunand-save-data-mega-guide-gbatemp-doesnt-deserve.378491/

Reactions: KiiWii

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any chance for some video proof as i have tried both the ways you have listed to no avail?
My phone's camera is shot, I'll shoot a video later, once my tablet is done charging.

Here are some questions that should help me get a better picture of what's going on:

Are you using a N3DS or O3DS?
If you've used a downgrader on the 9.2 NAND, have you ever run Downgrade Check on it?
Do you have all necessary files, including Launcher.dat?
Which set up are you trying to achieve?
Is your *hax installation working properly?
Is your 3DS having trouble loading any non-CFW homebrew?
If using a boot manager, is it properly configured?

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i only use updated sysNAND OvO with LumaCFW , so .. i guess my only option would be to wait for a GW A9LH payload yeah?
There's option 2 for those who have 10.7 SysNAND. You need to set up a 9.2 EmuNAND in order to load GW.3dsx. If you still have the unlinked 9.2 NAND backup from the A9LH installation process, you can easily use that as your EmuNAND. Just create an EmuNAND and then restore it.

The other way to create a 9.2 EmuNAND is to make a EmuNAND of your current SysNAND, then unlink and downgrade it.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
There's option 2 for those who have 10.7 SysNAND. You need to set up a 9.2 EmuNAND in order to load GW.3dsx. If you still have the unlinked 9.2 NAND backup from the A9LH installation process, you can easily use that as your EmuNAND. Just create an EmuNAND and then restore it.

The other way to create a 9.2 EmuNAND is to make a EmuNAND of your current SysNAND, then unlink and downgrade it.

hm, i think i dont need it.. as i use CIA only.
so my GW card is sleeping. (i only use my blue card at times to play ds games)

i'll just wait for a gw payload .

dragon_from_iso

Trophies
XP
Here are some questions that should help me get a better picture of what's going on:

Are you using a N3DS or O3DS? n3ds
If you've used a downgrader on the 9.2 NAND, have you ever run Downgrade Check on it? it came with 9.0
Do you have all necessary files, including Launcher.dat? yes have all files
Which set up are you trying to achieve?boot 10.7 emunand
Is your *hax installation working properly? yes
Is your 3DS having trouble loading any non-CFW homebrew? no
If using a boot manager, is it properly configured?[/QUOTE] yes

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you using a N3DS or O3DS? n3ds
If you've used a downgrader on the 9.2 NAND, have you ever run Downgrade Check on it? it came with 9.0
Do you have all necessary files, including Launcher.dat? yes have all files
Which set up are you trying to achieve?boot 10.7 emunand
Is your *hax installation working properly? yes
Is your 3DS having trouble loading any non-CFW homebrew? no
If using a boot manager, is it properly configured?
yes[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Got a few more areas to check for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Load up EmuNAND9, preferably the A9LH version. Near the bottom of the top screen, does it say "EmuNAND: GW EmuNAND"? If it says RedNAND, you have to convert your RedNAND to EmuNAND for this to work.

2. Run MenuHax Manager in EmuNAND and hold X while selecting Delete. This will remove any MenuHax ext-data from the EmuNAND without affecting SysNAND's MenuHax setup. This only works if your NANDs are unlinked.

3. Try the following settings in boot.cfg: timeout = 0 and autobootfix = 2.

Reactions: dragon_from_iso

dragon_from_iso

Trophies
XP

1. Load up EmuNAND9, preferably the A9LH version. Near the bottom of the top screen, does it say "EmuNAND: GW EmuNAND"? If it says RedNAND, you have to convert your RedNAND to EmuNAND for this to work.

2. Run MenuHax Manager in EmuNAND and hold X while selecting Delete. This will remove any MenuHax ext-data from the EmuNAND without affecting SysNAND's MenuHax setup. This only works if your NANDs are unlinked.

3. Try the following settings in boot.cfg: timeout = 0 and autobootfix = 2.[/QUOTE]

it says gw emunand and does it matter that im on 9.0 instead of 9.2?

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3. Try the following settings in boot.cfg: timeout = 0 and autobootfix = 2.

it says gw emunand and does it matter that im on 9.0 instead of 9.2?[/QUOTE]
It shouldn't matter. I'm on 9.0 as well, and I'm having no issues. Tablet is finally charged, so I'm going to shoot the video that proves that autobooting via this method does work.

Is there anyway to just use sysnand directly? Without having to use emunand?
If your SysNAND is 9.0-9.2, sure.

If you're using an Updated SysNAND, then not until Gateway releases their A9LH payload. Until then, GW.3dsx will only load with a 9.0-9.2 NATIVE_FIRM. Unfortunately, you cannot load a 10.x NAND with a 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM

Reactions: dragon_from_iso

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
If your SysNAND is 9.0-9.2, sure.

If you're using an Updated SysNAND, then not until Gateway releases their A9LH payload. Until then, GW.3dsx will only load with a 9.0-9.2 NATIVE_FIRM. Unfortunately, you cannot load a 10.x NAND with a 9.0 NATIVE_FIRM

So the best method would be to use 10.x emunand for both GW and Luma3ds?

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a9lh + gw loader(cia format)
around 7s + something shouldn't be long.
should still faster than menuhax:)

but it's not "auto" though

is the auto loading really important for gw users? menuhax sometimes froze at debug screen

Last edited by Sonansune,

zhdarkstar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the best method would be to use 10.x emunand for both GW and Luma3ds?
I think so, but others may say differently based on their personal needs. It's really all about the choice of autoboot vs GBA/DSiWare single installation. I barely use GBA/DSiWare anyway, so having autobooting GW mode is my priority.

a9lh + gw loader(cia format)
around 7s + something shouldn't be long.
should still faster than menuhax:)

but it's not "auto" though

is the auto loading really important for gw users? menuhax sometimes froze at debug screen
That's pretty much the Option 2 that I listed above. I prefer being able to push one button to get into GW mode, even if it takes a few seconds longer.

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
I think so, but others may say differently based on their personal needs. It's really all about the choice of autoboot vs GBA/DSiWare single installation. I barely use GBA/DSiWare anyway, so having autobooting GW mode is my priority.

So unless I have any use for GBA/DsiWare there's no benefit on using sysnand only?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...