Guide: How to setup EmuNAND without a flashcard!

So, I was having serious issues finding a really, really good and detailed guide on how to hack and install EmuNAND on your 3DS without using an actual Gateway Card (they are out there, but I spent a day of trial and error figuring out a process that could be done in an hour or less), but after a good bit of research and understanding, I've finally managed to figure it out.

EmuNAND allows you to run the latest version of the 3DS firmware alongside an older version so that you can have hacking capabilities but also be able to access the eShop and play online.

This guide does not include and does not condone the use of pirated content. If you want to play pirated games, you can go elsewhere. Bear in mind if you choose to do so, you can be banned from Nintendo's servers.

I'm also pretty sure this voids your 3DS' warranty (but I'm also pretty sure your 3DS is more than a year old by now anyways).

Okay, what you'll need:
- The Gateway firmware
Download it here: http://scmods.com/gateway/GATEWAY ULTRA 3.1.1 PUBLIC BETA.zip

- rxTools
Download it here: http://www.rxtools.net/php/download.php?dl=rxTools v2.3

(Bear in mind you'll also either need WinRAR, 7-Zip, or some other extraction tool to open the RAR file if you don't already)

- slot0x25KeyX.bin
(You can find it on Google. I can't provide it here.)

- A 3DS with system version 9.2 or below

- An SD card that's at least 2gb in space (although I recommend more)

STEP ONE: Back up your SD card!

You're going to have to do this step later if you don't do it now, so I recommend doing it now. The next step is going to require around a gig of space left on your card. Back up all the files on your SD card to a folder on your desktop or wherever you'd like, and you can go ahead and delete the files off of the card.

STEP TWO: Make a NAND Backup!

Inside of the zip file you downloaded containing the Gateway Firmware, there should be a file called "launcher.dat" (without the quotes, obviously). This should be inside the "GW_Ultra_3.1.1(Public Beta)" folder. Copy this to the root of your SD card. None of the other files are needed.

Put the SD card into your 3DS. Boot up the 3DS and open the web browser. TURN OFF THE WIFI SWITCH. This isn't totally necessary, but it does help. Go into the browser settings (click on the wrench icon), and clear your history and cookies. Afterwards, close the browser, then reopen it. You're doing this so that you don't have to do this every time you open the browser (because when we run Gateway, the browser will crash). Now then, turn on the wifi switch and navigate to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ (you'll probably want to bookmark this later). After a few seconds, Gateway 3DS should be running on your 3DS. If it didn't work, ensure that you have the right system version (at or below 9.2) and then retry step 2. It's not foolproof.

Once you have Gateway running, you're going to want to go over to where it says "Backup System NAND," press A, and then press start. This will take between five and ten minutes, so give it time. Make sure your 3DS is plugged in!

Once the NAND backup is done, move on to step three.

STEP THREE: BACKUP YOUR FILES

The next step is going to format your SD card! If you have not done so, back up your files now!! THIS INCLUDES THE NAND.BIN FILE YOU JUST CREATED.

Your 3DS is not going to be wiped, by the way - only your SD card. You might have to redownload any eShop titles afterwards, but I'm not sure. You might also just be able to restore them by merging your old Nintendo 3DS folder with your new one that will be created.

I had to redownload mine, but then again I also downgraded my system (which, by the way, is totally unnecessary for this, and I'm not going to include it in this guide).

STEP FOUR: Install Emunand!

Now that all your files are backed up, launch Gateway again (http://go.gateway-3ds.com/), and go to the option that says "Format EmuNAND." Of course, press A, and then start to start the process. This will also take around ten minutes. Just be patient, and make sure your 3DS is plugged in! None of this should have any chance of bricking your 3DS, but when it comes to homebrew, it's still better to be cautious! There is no brick protection on the 3DS like there was on the Wii, so you don't want to screw anything up!

Once the process is done, restart your 3DS (you'll probably have to hold down the power button a little longer than usual. This is fine). Take the SD card out, and put it in your computer. Copy all of the files inside the "release" folder inside of the rxTools archive to the root of your SD card (at this point you may also copy over your old backup files too, but DO NOT erase or overwrite anything on the SD card). Also copy over the slot0x25KeyX.bin file (once again, I am not allowed to provide the link here, but it's extremely easy to find).

Now then, run the cdn_firm.exe file on your SD card. This downloads a pretty small file (around a megabyte in size) called firmware.bin to the root of your SD card (for some reason they aren't allowed to include it with rxTools either).

If you're using OS X or Linux, you can run the cdn_firm executable using a program called Wine. It's just a Windows emulator (not a virtual machine).

STEP FIVE: Boot and update EmuNAND!

The reason we're using rxTools instead of Gateway to run EmuNAND is simply because it works with the latest version of the 3DS' firmware (9.6). Anyway, once you have everything on your SD card, pop it back into your 3DS and turn on your 3DS. Now open the browser and go to http://launch.rxtools.net (you'll want to bookmark this too. You'll need it to boot into EmuNAND). Once rxTools has launched, Press A at "Launch rxMode." EmuNAND should load up. It might be a black screen for a few seconds, but don't worry about that. If it doesn't load up after around 20 seconds or so, though, go ahead and power off your 3DS and try again. If it still doesn't work, you might have to reinstall EmuNAND (granted, it should work).

Once you're booted into EmuNAND, open System Settings. On the top screen in the bottom right-hand corner, look at the text. It SHOULD say "RX-E [Whatever version + region]." IF IT DOES NOT, BUT INSTEAD SAYS VER. [Number], DO NOT PROCEED. YOU ARE NOT IN EMUNAND.

Once you are POSITIVE that you are booted into EmuNAND, go into Other Settings and perform a System Update. Once again, make sure you have your 3DS plugged in.

DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SD CARD! DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SD CARD! DO NOT REMOVE YOUR SD CARD!

DO. NOT. REMOVE. YOUR. SD. CARD.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

EMUNAND COULD CRASH.

STEP SIX: Reboot and Check EmuNAND.

Once the system update is done, the 3DS should reboot. If you're in SysNAND (you aren't prompted "EHRMAGERD LUK AT ALL DESE NEW FEACHURES GUISE"), go ahead and open the web browser and boot back into EmuNAND (http://launch.rxtools.net/ - seriously, bookmark it). EmuNAND should load up soon, and you should be prompted to agree with Nintendo's ToS. Once you agree (and are told about the two and a half "wonderful, amazing new features," check System Settings to make sure you're running the latest version of the 3DS firmware (as of 4/8/2015, it's 9.6.0-24U [the U is just for my region; yours might be different]). Once done, go ahead and exit System Settings. I recommend changing the theme/color of your EmuNAND home menu so that you'll always know when you're in it (mine's a snazzy black).

You're officially done and have EmuNAND installed! Congrats! I hope that this was useful!

NOTES ABOUT EMUNAND:
- Never remove your SD card while in EmuNAND, especially if you're in-game. It can crash, and it's super wonky.
- Using this method, I don't know how to (if you can) autoboot into EmuNAND. With this, you'll just have to visit the rxtools link the in the browser.
- EmuNAND still shares a lot of data with your SysNAND, but the version differences do make a difference, especially when trying to run some games.
- If you ever decide to restore your SysNAND from your NAND.bin backup (KEEP THAT BACKUP, PLEASE), it won't erase or overwrite EmuNAND, so don't worry c:
- DO NOT UPDATE YOUR SYSNAND. I really don't recommend it!
- Always make sure that rxTools is compatible with the latest version of the 3DS firmware before updating; otherwise you'll just get a black screen when trying to use EmuNAND.
- Have fun! If you have Animal Crossing: New Leaf, there's a set of tools for dumping and editing the RAM file. Google it!

Thanks!
~Jesse (jebug29)

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard stuff like cfw won't work on a downgraded 3ds and i am considering downgrading my o3ds to 9.2, but will this stuff work?

Also, I may need a whole tutorial on how to do stuff with emunand and such without any sort of flashcart.

Last edited by TimX24968B,

Mollycule

Add me on osu~
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True, but I now know what to do. Do you know how I can launch RXmode offline? I use 2.6 with 9.2.0-20E

There was a post on the rxtools thread here which if you use xampp or some other local apache server then you can simply type into the 3ds' browser your computer's local IP address and it will launch the php file stored in your htdocs folder.

That video covers what you'll need for now to set up a local server.

-------------------------

Does anyone know how to setup emunand on New 3DS XL. Currently running 9.2

Just the same AFAIK only you cannot update the emunand via nintendo or it will simply crash every time you launch

Last edited by Mollycule,

Procyon

TheRealProcyon
Trophies
Website
discord.me
XP
Country
Netherlands
There was a post on the rxtools thread here which if you use xampp or some other local apache server then you can simply type into the 3ds' browser your computer's local IP address and it will launch the php file stored in your htdocs folder.

That video covers what you'll need for now to set up a local server.

-------------------------

Just the same AFAIK only you cannot update the emunand via nintendo or it will simply crash every time you
launch

I already settled it up. I'm using the nightlies w/ ctrbootmanager from guides from here and there

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, i need some help. this was working perfectly a little bit ago, and i did not change anything, but then after attempting to boot it up again, it gives me an error. for some reason, I cannot make rxtools launch anymore. I even reinstalled and did the entire emunand process again, but rxtools will not launch. I think the last thing i did was accidently try to boot it with no sd in, would that screw it up?
EDIT: nevermind, it all seems to have worked out. after a while of seeming futile efforts, including formatting the drive, messing with the gateway launcher, etc, I finally managed to make it work, i have absolutely no idea what caused the problem and no idea what fixed it, and I honestly dont care...

Last edited by samcambolt270,

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
is this the best way to get emunand or is there a newer way now?
just asking before attempting

Please don't ask questions on tutorials. Besides that please don't reply to topics that no one replied to in the past two weeks.

To answer your question: yes there are better ways now. Check out the flashcard and custom firmware thread and Read everything. Everything! Then create a new topic there with any questions left. There is also a search function in this forum.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does it work if i have sysNand 11.2 w/ a9lh + luma?
You really don't need an emuNAND anymore. EmuNANDs were really only used as means of protecting your cfw/hacks. Nowadays with A9LH and FIRM0/1 protection, there's just no reason for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, MP3s were designed to be as small as possible, so that they can be shared on...