GTA IV - Is there a way to utilize more CPU?

kilwa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very new to the world of PC gaming. I've heard this game is more CPU dependant than anything else. I've also heard how poorly optimized the game is.

Not using anything fancy.
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core 16CPUs 3.7GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super.
16GB RAM
DirectX 12

I'm assuming these specs are enough to run the game smoothly on high/very high settings, and it somewhat does. I get a constant 55-60fps with very minor slowdowns to 45fps or so, but I'd rather have it as smooth as possible, if possible.

Ran the benchmark tool and it shows its only utilizes around 9%-14% of the CPU. I'm honestly unsure if this is normal or not.

Is there a way to utilize more CPU in game? Will overclocking help in this situation? Or is it just that poorly optimized to the point where nothing will really help?

Any advice would be great!

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If memory serves, it's not that your computer isn't strong enough to handle the game at high settings, it's that it's a bad port like Saints Row 2. Not sure if different settings could offload the work or your other option is to check for mods or tweaks that may improve performance.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If memory serves, it's not that your computer isn't strong enough to handle the game at high settings, it's that it's a bad port like Saints Row 2. Not sure if different settings could offload the work or your other option is to check for mods or tweaks that may improve performance.
Saints Row 2 is in another league tbh.
I love SR2 more than any game of it's genre, but I hate the fact that it only barely works in similar or same specs as it's recommended ones. GTA IV is more foregiving, and there's some patch that break or improve performance on some systems.

But yeah, both games perform horrible on PC.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I hate to say it, but I recommend playing this game on Linux. It greatly benefits from being ran with Proton/Vulkan (a good deal of games do, actually). I get a constant 60 frames on high settings, where I got anywhere from 25 to 40 with medium to low settings on Windows. You can always dual boot for those games that aren't quite that compatible yet.

There's not much you can do to make this game more bearable because it's a slapped together port. Rockstar didn't properly retool with the desktop version of D3D, and instead just directly ported from the XDK, slapped GFWL on it, and called it a day. I assume this is why it runs so much better when the D3D calls are translated to Vulkan.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn +1