Grim Fandango Remastered Free on GOG.com

grim.jpg

To kick off the GOG.com Winter Sale, the critically acclaimed Grim Fandango Remastered is available for free. All you have to do is create an account, grab the game here, and think nothing more of it! Should you have an inkling for DRM-free games over the festive period, be sure to check out GOG's other offerings.

:arrow: Check out our review of the PS Vita version

Last edited by Cyan, , Reason: added proper link

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I was really disappointed with this 'remaster'. It was a rushed port rather than remaster.
What are you even talking about? There's nothing wrong with this and this is NOT a port, this is a remastered version of the 1998 game for Windows PC, thus the "remastered". It has less glitches, better graphics quality and overall works great with the new OSs (original often crashes or doesn't even run past Win 8). By saying that it's a "rushed port", you are probably thinking that this is a game that was made for consoles then ported to PC or something, which is not the case.

What is wrong with it?
Nothing's wrong besides it being far too fun a game and too addictive:P

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
What are you even talking about? There's nothing wrong with this and this is NOT a port, this is a remastered version of the 1998 game for Windows PC, thus the "remastered". It has less glitches, better graphics quality and overall works great with the new OSs (original often crashes or doesn't even run past Win 8). By saying that it's a "rushed port", you are probably thinking that this is a game that was made for consoles then ported to PC or something, which is not the case.

Nothing's wrong besides it being far too fun a game and too addictive:P

What don't you understand exactly? I thought I was pretty clear. It had a minimal amount of upgrade done to it and when applying that to HD monitors, it looked bland. It might be a great game, but it fell pretty much into the same realm as Indigo Prophecy.. i.e. a rushed port as in a port from the old spec to now include updated resolutions, but pretty much nothing else done to it. No dynamic lighting, no hd textures. Everything looked archaic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What is wrong with it?

I was hoping for a little refresh of the graphics, maybe some better rendered lighting / textures etc. But pretty much nothing was done. It even mentioned it in the various reviews of the time.

Last edited by GunzOfNavarone,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What don't you understand exactly? I thought I was pretty clear. It had a minimal amount of upgrade done to it and when applying that to HD monitors, it looked bland. It might be a great game, but it fell pretty much into the same realm as Indigo Prophecy.. i.e. a rushed port as in a port from the old spec to now include updated resolutions, but pretty much nothing else done to it. No dynamic lighting, no hd textures. Everything looked archaic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was hoping for a little refresh of the graphics, maybe some better rendered lighting / textures etc. But pretty much nothing was done. It even mentioned it in the various reviews of the time.
Go play the original and you will understand how badly you are nitpicking:P Changing the lighting would ruin the feel of the game. As for textures, they have been remade in HD (as in 1080p) and look great just like they did in the original! Accept the art style, relax and enjoy the game, that's all, don't get too picky, everyone else is enjoying the game just fine. Try going through the game and towards the middle point you will understand what I meant about the lighting btw.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Go play the original and you will understand how badly you are nitpicking:P Changing the lighting would ruin the feel of the game. As for textures, they have been remade in HD (as in 1080p) and look great just like they did in the original! Accept the art style, relax and enjoy the game, that's all, don't get too picky, everyone else is enjoying the game just fine. Try going through the game and towards the middle point you will understand what I meant about the lighting btw.

I'm interested to know, did you read any reviews of it at the time of it's release? They all mentioned the same points I have and I'm not just echoing them. I realise that a lot of the game features static backgrounds but little was done to update it. I doubt it would have taken much time to give these backgrounds a polish. It literally was just the same game warts and all released with support for higher resolutions so the question beckons, what was 'remastered' about it? I can't recall seeing a single HD texture.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm interested to know, did you read any reviews of it at the time of it's release? They all mentioned the same points I have and I'm not just echoing them. I realise that a lot of the game features static backgrounds but little was done to update it. I doubt it would have taken much time to give these backgrounds a polish. It literally was just the same game warts and all released with support for higher resolutions so the question beckons, what was 'remastered' about it? I can't recall seeing a single HD texture.
You don't seem to understand what "HD" means apparently. ALL textures in the game were remade for 1080p, thus the "remastered". It's remastered, NOT a remake.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't seem to understand what "HD" means apparently. ALL textures in the game were remade for 1080p, thus the "remastered". It's remastered, NOT a remake.

Maybe the correct term is 'Remastered 10%' or something along those lines. I mean watch the following video where they swap between the old version and the remastered and some of them are totally nondescript.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe the correct term is 'Remastered 10%' or something along those lines. I mean watch the following video where they swap between the old version and the remastered and some of them are totally nondescript.

Looks way more than fine to me, both in old version and new one, you are just being picky. If you don't like the game, don't play it, but everyone else enjoys it just fine and has fun!:P

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks way more than fine to me, both in old version and new one, you are just being picky. If you don't like the game, don't play it, but everyone else enjoys it just fine and has fun!:P

"If you don't like it, don't play it"... This is the same millennial style quote that you find littered on message boards all over the internet. "If you don't like it, simple, don't watch it". Learn to understand that media is subjective, people are more than free to pass their opinions. I could as easily say to you, if you don't like my statement, don't respond. But honestly, it's pretty pathetic.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
"If you don't like it, don't play it"... This is the same millennial style quote that you find littered on message boards all over the internet. "If you don't like it, simple, don't watch it". Learn to understand that media is subjective, people are more than free to pass their opinions. I could as easily say to you, if you don't like my statement, don't respond. But honestly, it's pretty pathetic.
You are literally complaining that the game isn't how you want it when what you want is NOT what the game is or should be! What's with the "millennial style"? Why are you so entitled that you want everything to be made just the way YOU want them to be? The world doesn't revolve around you, if at your age you still haven't learned that, then that's what is really pathetic.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
You are literally complaining that the game isn't how you want it when what you want is NOT what the game is or should be! What's with the "millennial style"? Why are you so entitled that you want everything to be made just the way YOU want them to be? The world doesn't revolve around you, if at your age you still haven't learned that, then that's what is really pathetic.

Wow. Do you feel better for having gotten that off of your chest? Calm down and accept that the world isn't one big think tank where we all think the same as yourself. I merely stated my opinion on it and that's unfaltered. But there really is no need for the big hissy fit you're throwing. Grow up dude.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wow. Do you feel better for having gotten that off of your chest? Calm down and accept that the world isn't one big think tank where we all think the same as yourself. I merely stated my opinion on it and that's unfaltered. But there really is no need for the big hissy fit you're throwing. Grow up dude.
LITERALLY 10 seconds of google search: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1012093232 Happy now that you got your shadows or too dumb to even know how to install a file? Get off that high horse of yours before you fall off your ass and hurt yourself

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
LITERALLY 10 seconds of google search: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1012093232 Happy now that you got your shadows or too dumb to even know how to install a file? Get off that high horse of yours before you fall off your ass and hurt yourself

So let me see if I get this right... I mention that little to no work was done to remaster it. You disagree, and you then link me to a fan-mod created by someone to do that work? Surely you see the irony in that? Anyway, I don't want to argue with you about it. I literally just came here to mention my dismay at it and to reiterate, not the game - the remaster. But to each their own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo