Graphics Race Damages the Industry

Robika

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am a very philosophic person and I have been thinking a lot about how we are getting less and less new IPs and new games. There is a huge amount of remasters and Remakes and rereleases con all platforms.

I think I have grasped the problem causing this. The problem is the same as in the movie industry. The cost of creating a new product is high and the risk is huge. Meanwhile back in the 16 and 32 bit era game had simpler graphics and needed less staff to develop. Just look at Naughty Dog, Crash is great game period, The Last of Us is also a great game, but in the time Last of Us 2 was made Naughty Dog developed 3 crash games and more during the 90s.

Triving for realism and better graphics is damaging creativity and fun. How many awesome looking games suck? A lot, Anthem, Cyber Punk..etc. Now lets see indies, Stardew Valley, Sold 10 million copies and it has a huge community and following, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Hades etc.

All these are great games, but there is huge gap in between indies and AAA titles, a gap that I think should not be wasted on just remakes and remasters. Experimental game from big companies should come back, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Final Fantasy Tactics, Hogs of War, Micro Maniacs, Parasite Eve, Conkers Bad Fur Day.

I might be rambling, but I feel need a fresh breath of air.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Meh... I prefer indies anyway. Aside of the mentioned runaway hits, there's plenty of original ideas to go round. Not always great, but at least they know better than chase the fad that is realistic graphics.

Oh, you're certainly right. People criticize Rockstar for just pouring gta V everywhere, but if they toned down graphics for gta 6,those very people would complain.

Can't comment much on the experimental side games larger studios turn out ;I don't follow those. You 're probably right, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/9seCZUSS8zE?si=xMNkLYWrWl6kDH44