Gp2x

drtofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about this since my friend told me about it. What do you think better than psp/ds? for those who dont know gp2x plays tons of emulators is open source, and the media play back is top notch. just google to find out info. Only problem is it lacks wifi and I dont know how you'd get mutiplayer things to work..

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GP2X Vs Psp

To summarise, I highly recommend you get a Psp that is downgradeable along with a copy of Lumines. I have a GP2X and very rarely use it but my Psp gets used every single day. I mostly play GBA (full speed), Snes TYL (near full speed), Playstation 1 (full speed), GBC (full speed) and ScummVM (full speed) along with commercial games. I do all of this under Custom Firmware M33. With a Psp you truly get the best of both worlds i.e excellent emulation and commercial games. Consider that the Psp has 3 Co-processors and is capable of 3D rendering. It has alot of processing power and untapped potential.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
on the PSP vs DS. PSP is the king of portable emulation since it can do everything the GP2X can and play commercial games, the DS sucks at it, it can barely play nes.

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would use my gp2x more, but I can't stand the joystick on it. It rarely reads input correctly, and really takes away from gaming. And in my opinion, it's pretty useless as a media player. I tried, but really don't like watching movies on such a small screen. The thing looks great on paper, and was cool for a day or two, but now it just collects dust. Anyone want to buy it?

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got the newest version of the Gp2X and I dunno...I really like the joypad...I just use it on planes really to watch movies...in that aspect it kicks PSP's ASS...no reconverting aspect rations...no bullshit, the same files I use on my big TV are the same that I use on my Gp2X....and I love playing the CPS2 emulator on the machine....I gave away my last PSP awhile ago and never miss it. I use my DS for gaming and my GP2X for DivX and emulation on the go

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point in the game, it'd seem that a PSP with custom firmware could run a shit ton more emulators that are widely supported. I mean, sure there are emulators for the GP2X, but think if you know anyone else that has one. Okay, how many people do you know that have a PSP... right. Get it? The more popular something is, the more support it will get generally for stuff like that. Had the DS' hardware been as high as the PSP's then I'm sure there would be the same sort of emulation for it as well (PS1, etc).

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No... The DS wouldn't be able to handle emulation and if it did, one not enogh buttons, 2 small as screen. And no joypad nub.

Hey flametard, how about you read my post? And learn how to spell? I said that the DS is way underpowered to emulate PS1 games... Control schemes don't even come into play at that point. And I guess you forget that the Playstation didn't originally come with analog control, either.

It looked like this:
psx04.jpg

Looks like I'm not the n00b after all...

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
I have DSL, PSP and GP2X - and the GP2X has certainly the better scene for homebrew and emulation than either the DS or the PSP.

MAME on the 2x wipes the floor with the PSP. Similarly for CPS2, NeoGeo, Megadrive. Full speed SNES on the 2x is there for all but a handful of games. Sinclair emulation is better on the DS. PSP is better for PS1 games, but the 2x now emulates a lot of PS1 games at a very playable speed. NES is just as good as anywhere else on the 2x. GBA on the 2x continues to improve, and a lot of games are at full speed now. Amiga/ST emulation on the 2x is awesome.

Add to that the fact that it plays DivX movies natively along with MP3 and OGG, and the PSP doesn't get a look in. Not played on the PSP for a very long time now, the 2x is powered up most days (when I'm not on the DS).

For anyone considering buying a 2x, I'd wait for a few months - the successor is about to be revealed, and is tipped to be a lot more powerful than the current incarnation.

But then - a handheld Amiga. How cool is that?

D.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
No... The DS wouldn't be able to handle emulation and if it did, one not enogh buttons, 2 small as screen. And no joypad nub.

Hey flametard, how about you read my post? And learn how to spell? I said that the DS is way underpowered to emulate PS1 games... Control schemes don't even come into play at that point. And I guess you forget that the Playstation didn't originally come with analog control, either.

It looked like this:
psx04.jpg

Looks like I'm not the n00b after all...

Dude, nub isn't newb, nub is the little wheel thing on the psp
sleep.gif
and so what? the newer ps1 games used the analog. And I didn't have one mispelled word in there besides enough which was a small fucking typo. You need to calm the fuck down.

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an old gp2x you can just buy the mk2 cap por less than 1€. If you don't like this cap you can mod it with a d-pad for about 50€ shipping included.

I have gp2x mk2 and dsl and I enjoy homebrew in both consoles. Ds gives me wifi and touch screen por things like dsliveweather, beup, dsorganize and for the rest i have the gp2x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw