Hacking got new DSTWO, have some questions

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these new batches of DSTwo and am having the same issues as @regnad and @sampson. Chopiness in some games, Save State Menu freezing in TempGBA and CATSFC. Tried various Micro SD cards from class 4 to 10. All branded original cards. Sandisk Ultra, Transcend, Samsung, Kingston. All work fine and glitch free running on R4i Gold (R4iDS) based cards running Wood.
Also, you have to use EOS v1.12 after you run that small patch (ds2_update_20150703), as the card's firmware now looks for 'system6.dat' and 'system7.dat', that's why you can't drop back to EOS v1.11. If you use 'system3.dat' from EOS v1.11 the card will black screen when trying to run 'DS_Game'. You also can't seem to be able to downgrade anymore after running 'ds2_update_20150703.nds', as the card won't pick up 'dstwoupdate.dat', 'dstwoupdateb.dat' or 'ds2update.dat'.
If you can and everything is running sweet, I'd recommend staying on fw v1.25 and EOS v1.11 for the time being.

sampson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess it's safe to say that some sort of fw update needs to be done by supercard or they're just bunk cartridges at this point

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well now, this sucks. I'd hate to have to use two separate cards, the DSTwo for emulation and my EZF Vi for DS games. But until the FW gets updated, that may be the case.

Any way to contact SC? The official forum doesn't get a lot of action.

Is this perhaps only a problem with the new batch?

Last edited by regnad,

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone back to using my spare R4i Gold (R4iDS) card in my XL as I've already wasted too many hours of my life messing with this card over the last week.
We need someone with an original DSTwo who's updated with 'ds2_update_20150703' and is running EOS v1.12 to confirm whether they have slowdown/glitching, and to test the 'save state' menu in the two main emulators (on a rom with no previous save states) to see if it locks up. Then we can ascertain whether or not it is new batch related.

Last edited by Gyron_Oldvic,

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've gone back to using my spare R4i Gold (R4iDS) card in my XL as I've already wasted too many hours of my life messing with this card over the last week.
We need someone with an original DSTwo who's updated with 'ds2_update_20150703' and is running EOS v1.12 to confirm whether they have slowdown/glitching, and to test the 'save state' menu in the two main emulators (on a rom with no previous save states) to see if it locks up. Then we can ascertain whether or not it is new batch related.

I noticed the slow SD card reading before applying the 20150703 update. And without this update the TempGBA and CATSFC save states didn't matter because the emulators ran so slow and choppy that they were completely unplayable. I assume that was what that update was meant to fix, since it says it's for those experiencing plugin slowdowns.

It also says on the update not to use it unless necessary. This suggests to me that not everyone is having these slowdown problems. So maybe this is just a problem the new batch has, that the patch only fixes running speed for those two emulators, and doesn't fix the related problems of overall SD card reading speed. And perhaps the update itself created the save state issue.

This is all conjecture, though, and we can't really know until someone with an older DSTwo running 1.12 can confirm.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the slow SD card reading before applying the 20150703 update. And without this update the TempGBA and CATSFC save states didn't matter because the emulators ran so slow and choppy that they were completely unplayable. I assume that was what that update was meant to fix, since it says it's for those experiencing plugin slowdowns.

It also says on the update not to use it unless necessary. This suggests to me that not everyone is having these slowdown problems. So maybe this is just a problem the new batch has, that the patch only fixes running speed for those two emulators, and doesn't fix the related problems of overall SD card reading speed. And perhaps the update itself created the save state issue.

This is all conjecture, though, and we can't really know until someone with an older DSTwo running 1.12 can confirm.

The Save State issue was present on EOS v1.12 before I ran the update. I made the mistake of not testing EOS v1.11 before updating though. Although, to be fair to myself I never thought I would have the need for EOS v1.11 when a new version was available. I only tried the Emu's on EOS v1.12 without the update and they were awful, provoking me to update.
That update is supposed to fix plugin issues relating to EOS v1.12. I'm now intrigued to know whether the save state lock-up is related to EOS v1.12 or purely to the new cards. I'd also like to know whether anyone with a new card is able to run EOS v1.11 before updating.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just tested Castlevania - Dawn of Sorrow (the intro movie is a good test actually).

Using a SanDisk Ultra (Class 10/UHS-1) freshly prepared with SD formatter.

DSTwo (New batch) - EOS v1.12 + ds2_update_20150703:

Intro Movie glitches from start to finish (constant audio glitching and slow video (very bad framerate). Basically, it's unwatchable.

Using the extact same Micro SD card with the Wood v1.64 kernel copied to it and inserted into an R4i RTS 3DS (R4iDS) card, the Intro Movie runs flawlessly from beginning to end. Not one glitch.

There's something amiss with either these new DSTwo cards or EOSv1.12 (or both). I've decided there's too much wrong with this card at the moment. Even TempGBA and CATSFC are not much use as the save state menu constantly locks-up. I'm shelving it until further notice.

MkidTrigun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Own a DSTWO from mid 2012 and using a Class 10/UHS-1 SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, just attempted to upgrade but think I messed up along the way somewhere. I overwrote the previous EOS with the new 1.12 and the ds2 update at the same time, but whenever I try to run the update it prompts me with "No need to update" screen and locks up.

Both TempGBA and CATSFC can save/load state to my heart's content after the EOS update, but holy hell does the opening to Dawn of Sorrow stutter like mad. It's akin to watching a Youtube video buffer as it's loading it in chunks.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Own a DSTWO from mid 2012 and using a Class 10/UHS-1 SanDisk Ultra 32GB card, just attempted to upgrade but think I messed up along the way somewhere. I overwrote the previous EOS with the new 1.12 and the ds2 update at the same time, but whenever I try to run the update it prompts me with "No need to update" screen and locks up.

Both TempGBA and CATSFC can save/load state to my heart's content after the EOS update, but holy hell does the opening to Dawn of Sorrow stutter like mad. It's akin to watching a Youtube video buffer as it's loading it in chunks.

Well, I am sorry for your troubles, but I'm encouraged that it's apparently not unique to the newest batch produced, but is instead a problem with 1.12. To me this means we may get a fix at some point. I wish there were some way to tell SC team.

Have a look at Black 2/White 2. There's ridiculous slowdown going in and out of buildings, or entering and leaving towns. The load time in FFTA2 is also really really frustrating.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Thanks for posting that. I'm beginning to wonder if the 'ds2_update_20150703' only runs on the new batch cards. @MkidTrigun, If you drop back to EOS v1.11, does the Dawn of Sorrow Intro movie work perfect?

MkidTrigun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I reinstalled the 1.25 update to the card then recopied the EOS from 12-24-2012, and now the opening movie plays smooth as butter. Other thing I noticed in having 1.12 installed was how long it took to get to the "Licensed by Konami" screen when compared to 1.11 (a good 3-4 seconds of a white screen vs it's nearly instant)

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I reinstalled the 1.25 update to the card then recopied the EOS from 12-24-2012, and now the opening movie plays smooth as butter. Other thing I noticed in having 1.12 installed was how long it took to get to the "Licensed by Konami" screen when compared to 1.11 (a good 3-4 seconds of a white screen vs it's nearly instant)

Thanks, I had a feeling it would work. I think 'EOS v1.12 + ds2_update_20150703' is for the new batch of cards, and Original DSTwo owners should continue to use EOS v1.11. I think that's what that 'Don't do anything unnecessary' message is about on their website. The issues stated in this thread all seem to be related to a combination of EOS v1.12 + ds2_update_20150703 + New batch DSTwo. Supercard will have to sort it at some point.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Yeah, there's that kind of slowdown on everything.

Is there some way for me to downgrade to 1.11? I don't need 3DS compatibility. I'm using a DSi XL.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, there's that kind of slowdown on everything.

Is there some way for me to downgrade to 1.11? I don't need 3DS compatibility. I'm using a DSi XL.

I don't think there is on a 'New Batch' Card. I tried every way conceivably possible the other night.

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think there is on a 'New Batch' Card. I tried every way conceivably possible the other night.

So it's basically a new patch from the SC Team or nothing, huh? That sucks.

I'd say anyone thinking of getting a DSTwo should hold off until we get an update.

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's basically a new patch from the SC Team or nothing, huh? That sucks.

There's nothing more we can do at the moment. We've pretty much established the issue is with the new cards, The responsibility lies with the Supercard team to fix this. I'm not sure if the team read their forums, but I can see more of these types of thread surfacing the more folk that buy a 'New Batch' DSTwo.

I'd say anyone thinking of getting a DSTwo should hold off until we get an update.

Agreed. The new cards are pretty much useless at this moment in time.

The two problems the Supercard team need to be made aware of regarding the new cards are:

1. Glitching in many games (possibly related to slow Micro SD card reading).
2. Save State Menu freezing in TempGBA and CATSFC (revival versions). I'm not sure whether this will concern them or not, as they're unofficial releases.

KarlslandOtaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
I have both a new batch dstwo and one from around 2010 or so.
Needless to say I have the same issues with the newer one that you guys are having.
But I have a quick question. Are the new batch ones supposed to come in a different cartridge casing than the old ones?
The newer one I have looks like a r4i type of case (with better quality though) without a screw connecting it together; whereas the older one I have is a black case with a screw like most of the ones I have seen. The other thing is the newer one has the plastic separated better near the pins (closer to a retail ds game).

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi,
I have both a new batch dstwo and one from around 2010 or so.
Needless to say I have the same issues with the newer one that you guys are having.
But I have a quick question. Are the new batch ones supposed to come in a different cartridge casing than the old ones?
The newer one I have looks like a r4i type of case (with better quality though) without a screw connecting it together; whereas the older one I have is a black case with a screw like most of the ones I have seen. The other thing is the newer one has the plastic separated better near the pins (closer to a retail ds game).

Well, since we're all having these problems hopefully SC Team will get on the ball and fix it.

I'm not sure what the old one looked like, but mine has no screw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill