Hacking Question Got a 3.0.0 Switch I've been sitting on for over half a year, and seeking to jailbreak it.

Dark Pulse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been hanging on to keeping my Switch to Firmware 3.0.0 since last summer, and now with me having gotten some new games for Christmas and a bunch I'd really like to play (Mario Odyssey comes to mind, and of course, Smash), along with a period coming up in a few weeks where I could really use having it on me for the better part of a week, I figured it'd be a good time to get some knowledge and information, and buy whatever I needed to buy. (I casually keep up on the scene, but it's moved very fast in the last few months.)

I got the Switch about a month after it came out (April or so, I believe), so I know it's jailbreakable. I've kept it on 3.0.0 due to smhax from when that was the holy grail, which from what I've read, may or may not be worth it anymore. I've also read about a coldboot being theoretically possible on any firmware 3.0.1 or under, and if so, I'd definitely want to keep that possibility being, well, possible.

I don't play online (I think that paying to play online is pretty damn ridiculous and just a way for them to milk a little more money out of the user) - the only "online" I ever did was to share some custom levels in Disgaea 5, something that IIRC is actually exempt from Nintendo's online stuff since it's literally just that, so I'm not too worried about that, but I WOULD like to keep the option open. Hence, I was thinking that the ideal setup would be a 3.0.0 SysNAND, and an updated EmuNAND.

Only one problem - as far as I know, the only way to get an EmuNAND right now is via SX. And I know SX tends to make some people around here hiss and boo. But to the best of my knowledge, Atmosphere doesn't have EmuNAND yet (I know it will eventually, but it's not there yet), and ReiNX apparently doesn't do it period, so I'm kind of at a loss.

The alternative would be presumably to back the hell up out of that NAND, then use ChoiDujour to update the Firmware without burning any fuses. This worries me though, especially since from what I hear there's an update to the card reader in 4.x that would mean it'd never work on a lower firmware once you update it. This is a problem if I want to go back down to 3.x for a Coldboot in the future. (Of course, if an updated EmuNAND screws the SysNAND card reader on lower firmwares, that also nixes that...)

I would like to dump my games and install them on my system/SD card. I think right now I got a 64 GB one, and eventually can get a 128 if it really comes down to it. And of course, I'd like to enjoy some homebrew stuff as well (Switch would make for a great portable Retroarch machine, of course).

So then, citizens of GBATemp, what would you recommend? Should I get SX Pro like I'd been figuring on? Should I just get a jig? Should I do something else entirely?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you desperately need coldboot, you can open up your switch and install that chip.
trinket m0

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty much in the same boat as you, except my Switch is on 1.0.0, and I have not attempted to hack it yet (I am waiting for Atmosphere to have support for emulated NAND before I look into that). From what I understand, the update to the "cartridge reader" is on firmware 4.0.0 and higher, so I would assume that Super Mario Odyssey would be safe to play (don't quote me on this, though), since I don't believe that there is a cartridge version higher than 3.0.2. According to this site, there are two revisions of Super Mario Odyssey, with one revision having 3.0.1, and the other having 3.0.2. Therefore, it might be safe to play this game on an "EmuNAND" solution, or by using a method to update without burning any fuses. Again, don't quote me on that, and make sure to check the revision number on your Super Mario Odyssey cartridge before you insert it into your Switch, since it's possible that a newer revision could be released, which contains 4.0.0 or higher. This thread has information on what to look for on the cartridge.

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is a different story, though, since the cartridge version contains 5.1.0. Therefore, it definitely has the update to the card reader. From what I understand, most custom firmwares at this point are set to block that update from occurring. However, if it is blocked, I don't think that you can run any cartridge based games, even ones on a lower firmware, during that time. I'm not sure if Team Xecuter's "EmuNAND" offers a solution to this problem or not (I refuse to support that company, so I don't really know any information about their "products" and/or "software").

I would definitely start with backing up your NAND, once you do decide to start using hacks (if you haven't already). You might be able to dump the games onto an SD card, and run them off of there, which could (I'm not sure on this either) avoid the problem with the card reader. I'm not at all familiar with how to do that, however. Of course, if you do decide to update the system firmware to play any games that require 3.0.1 or higher, I would definitely recommend using a method to update without burning any fuses, or an EmuNAND solution.

Last edited by g4jek8j54,

Dark Pulse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you desperately need coldboot, you can open up your switch and install that chip.
trinket m0
Not quite that badly, plus I'm not exactly handy with a soldering iron.

I'll have a USB-C phone on me (A OnePlus 5T) that could generally be used for RCM needs if the Switch somehow powered off though, along with a C-to-C cable since I also carry around a huge 26400 mAh battery bank that does the sort of rapid charging the Switch needs. So I'll be good on that front.

Coldboot is really just more of a minor convenience as opposed to something that'd have me fearing if my Switch's juice got low.

From what I understand, the update to the "cartridge reader" is on firmware 4.0.0 and higher, so I would assume that Super Mario Odyssey would be safe to play (don't quote me on this, though), since I don't believe that there is a cartridge version higher than 3.0.2. According to this site, there are two revisions of Super Mario Odyssey, with one revision having 3.0.1, and the other having 3.0.2. Therefore, it might be safe to play this game on an "EmuNAND" solution, or by using a method to update without burning any fuses. Again, don't quote me on that, and make sure to check the revision number on your Super Mario Odyssey cartridge before you insert it into your Switch, since it's possible that a newer revision could be released, which contains 4.0.0 or higher. This thread has information on what to look for on the cartridge.
Odyssey was preordered, so I'd be very surprised if I got the later edition. It's been sitting around since, of course, since I can't play it on 3.0.0.

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate is a different story, though, since the cartridge version contains 5.1.0. Therefore, it definitely has the update to the card reader. From what I understand, most custom firmwares at this point are set to block that update from occurring. However, if it is blocked, I don't think that you can run any cartridge based games, even ones on a lower firmware, during that time. I'm not sure if Team Xecuter's "EmuNAND" offers a solution to this problem or not (I refuse to support that company, so I don't really know any information about their "products" and/or "software").
That's definitely one of the big questions I have that I'm hoping someone can answer. If EmuNAND can't support this (even SX's), then it's basically a choice between waiting for a non-modchip coldboot solution to appear on 3.X, or updating it anyway and just accepting that I won't be able to have a coldboot until a post-card reader update coldboot solution is found.

I would definitely start with backing up your NAND, once you do decide to start using hacks (if you haven't already). You might be able to dump the games onto an SD card, and run them off of there, which could (I'm not sure on this either) avoid the problem with the card reader. I'm not at all familiar with how to do that, however. Of course, if you do decide to update the system firmware to play any games that require 3.0.1 or higher, I would definitely recommend using a method to update without burning any fuses.
Nothing is jailbroken yet, so while I don't have the NAND dumped, I'm no stranger to this stuff - my N3DS went from Home Menu EmuNAND, to A9LH, to Boot9Strap (on day one, as that shiny little bade in my sig shows), so I'm quite aware of backing up the NAND before I do *ANYTHING.*

As for the dumping/reading problem, yeah, hoping I get an answer on that. I know to use ChoiDujor to "update without updates," but I really only want to move past 3.0.0 for Sys if I absolutely have to.

Last edited by Dark Pulse,
D

Deleted User

My 3.0.0 Fat32 is my go to Retroarch and homebrew console, while my 6.1.0 EXFat is for backups and everything else.

I really, really didn;t want to upgrade my 3.0.0 and so buying a secondary unit (in my case 4th switch haha) was the best decision for me and I'm so happy I went that route.

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the same boat. I havebeen a second Switch on 3.0 and I honestlyto don't see the point of staying on a lower FW since you can hack all Switch FW versions.

Dark Pulse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in the same boat. I havebeen a second Switch on 3.0 and I honestlyto don't see the point of staying on a lower FW since you can hack all Switch FW versions.
Well, for awhile, it was the magic homebrew firmware (...still is?), and coldboot is only theoretically possible on stuff below 4.X, or so I've heard.

Buying another Switch really isn't an option due to some stuff that went down for me in the last half of 2018 and put me into some really bad debt.

Hugopugo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why are people so concerned about keeping fw low? I mean i know people are expecting a coldboot but how mamy times do you guys power off your switch? I rarely power down my switch (only to take sd card out, which is rare too since fttp or usb transfer work fine for most) and a dongle is just as fast as maybe a coldboot... dont know what the hassle is all about, i keep updating my switch since i got it i just dont see any convincing argument to keep a low fw.

however... just purchase sxox, you already spent 300 bucks on a switch whats another 20? Plus playing xci off a hd is a winner for me ;) fuck all the haters... its 20 bucks...

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id recomend updating and using 6.2 sx os emunand partitioned on the sd card, thats what i use, got my switch on 5.1 ofw and comfortably playing games on 6.2 cfw

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely one of the big questions I have that I'm hoping someone can answer. If EmuNAND can't support this (even SX's), then it's basically a choice between waiting for a non-modchip coldboot solution to appear on 3.X, or updating it anyway and just accepting that I won't be able to have a coldboot until a post-card reader update coldboot solution is found..

Yeah, I also do not wish to update the card reader if I don't have to. I'm hoping that SciresM and everyone else that is working on Atmosphere have an idea on how to solve the issue with the card reader, if that is even possible (I have heard no information on this, just to be clear). I also have Super Mario Odyssey, but haven't attempted to run it on my Switch yet (I don't want to do something wrong, and mess up my 1.0.0 Switch). Like I said, I think that it should be safe to run, but I don't want to take any chances at this point. Even if Odyssey is safe, this doesn't help with Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, which I would also like to get at some point.

Why are people so concerned about keeping fw low? I mean i know people are expecting a coldboot but how mamy times do you guys power off your switch? I rarely power down my switch (only to take sd card out, which is rare too since fttp or usb transfer work fine for most) and a dongle is just as fast as maybe a coldboot... dont know what the hassle is all about, i keep updating my switch since i got it i just dont see any convincing argument to keep a low fw.

Personally, I always power off my Switch whenever I am done using it, and never leave it in sleep mode. While I know that the RCM exploit cannot be patched if it is already present on your Switch, and appears to be very easy to execute, I prefer software exploits. I believe that 1.0.0 Switches can access RCM mode without a "jig," so I do see that as a benefit, since I don't completely like the idea of "shorting pins." I also generally don't like to install things similar to "AutoRCM" on any hacked systems, either. Plus I'm a bit weird, and like that I can "officially" access the "Flog" emulator, since this Switch has never been connected to the internet. :P

Just use ChoiDujourNX :P. Emunand will also update the card reader

Yeah, that's what I thought, and I'm assuming that this also applies to SX OS, correct? Also, are you aware of any ways to avoid or "maneuver" around the problem with the card reader update, for people who would like to keep the card reader on the lowest possible firmware?

Last edited by g4jek8j54,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So even EmuNAND updates the card reader... that's unfortunate, but well, it's either that or play only about a third of my total Switch library.
Yup
Yeah, that's what I thought, and I'm assuming that this also applies to Team Xecuter's "EmuNAND," and SX OS, correct? Also, are you aware of any ways to avoid or "maneuver" around the problem with the card reader update, for people who would like to keep the card reader on the lowest possible firmware?
Yea. As of right now the only way to keep the lower card reader firmware while being on fw 4.0+ is by using nogc, main downside of that is that you can't use physical games because the card reader is completely disabled when nogc is enabled

Reactions: g4jek8j54

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol