Google Starts Censoring BitTorrent, RapidShare and More

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I type in the whole word "torrent", then it will still give me instant and auto-complete results, it only censors it if you haven't typed the whole word yet.

Anyway, if they start filtering actual results, then I'm switching to a different search engine.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Holy shit, man...

How dare a private company barely censor a free service to the public! Bastards! The fiends!

What will we ever do without our auto-complete to finish our illegal downloading phrases! Type out the whole clause!? NEVER! Let's all bitch about it in a forum instead!

Google is a huge advocate of OSS (just thought I'd throw that out there) and torrents, they are just trying to stop their service from hurting other developers via piracy. Do you think that this is just a whim? Someone at Google just said, "Hey! You know what would be cool?" No! This has assumedly been discussed at length, and has been done for the good of the developer world.

Also, what are you all so butthurt about? Do you all actually use Google to search for torrents? Any legal torrents you need are readily available on the main page of the project. I'm sure you all know about the sites where you can search for more illicit torrents as well.

Fucking hell...

Tell me, in any of Google's history, what makes you believe that they will begin to actually censor things that they don't like for private reasons, such as political beliefs (previously mentioned in this thread)? What exactly makes you think that an extremely minor censoring that (if it were stronger) would potentially support developers and therein stimulate the world economy will lead to Google becoming the resurrection of Nazi Germany?

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Snailface said:
Hmmm, it's not censoring me. I tested several WaReZ oriented searches and Google autocompleted them all. Maybe Google reads my mind and knows my intent isn't malicious?
What are you talking about? Google have been happily data-mining you for years now, they are merely allowing you to goto said sites so they have more to block...

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another World said:
i stopped browsing the web with java-script 10+ years ago. i had no idea google did auto complete.

-another world
You're not missing out on anything, half the time it's more of a nuisance when you accidentally typo also I have found it feels it knows what it thinks you're searching for, even when you type in something completely different, so you need to then click on the "or did you want to search for _____" with the text of exactly what you were searching for in the first place.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well google is the only search engine I will use, I don't like the feel of yahoo or bing or any of the others, really. There's too much I like about Google to give up on it, especially for something as small and unimportant as this (heck, right now I'm using Google Chrome).

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...people actually use that instant search crap on Google? I've had it turned off since day 1. It's really annoying.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Google China V2....this will definetely be the END of google >=3 lolz....in anycase nobody is censoring me. if the one search engine doesn't work i just go over to the other

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not in the google sheeppl herd, I'm surprised I even took the time to read the OP ( I must be bored today ). I never use that search engine. I don't conform to society and their " just google it" I have my own free mind and use whatever search engine I want to use, not whats in the cool, in the now. Just like when your parents said "if everyone says to jump off a cliff, would you?"

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
aiRWaLKRe said:
I'm not in the google sheeppl herd, I'm surprised I even took the time to read the OP ( I must be bored today ). I never use that search engine. I don't conform to society and their " just google it" I have my own free mind and use whatever search engine I want to use, not whats in the cool, in the now. Just like when your parents said "if everyone says to jump off a cliff, would you?"

I'm pretty sure everyone (or almost) uses Google because it has a huge database and it works like it should.

OT: Oh dear, I'll have to type out torrent.
Has anyone tested if the "Did you mean" censors these things as well?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
antwill said:
Another World said:
i stopped browsing the web with java-script 10+ years ago. i had no idea google did auto complete.

-another world
You're not missing out on anything, half the time it's more of a nuisance when you accidentally typo also I have found it feels it knows what it thinks you're searching for, even when you type in something completely different, so you need to then click on the "or did you want to search for _____" with the text of exactly what you were searching for in the first place.
black_people_stole_my_car.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1