Hardware Good time to buy a PC?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much to everyone so far. :) I've done some weighing up and shopped around a bit for best prices and think I'm close. Just a few queries:

-How much better performance would I get from haswell 4670 + 2400 RAM?
-Really confused as to which mobo to get, there's so many. :blink:
-Do I need an additional HSF instead of the stock one, even though I don't plan on overclocking?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.93)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£68.19) -I think the DS3H has better audio than the D3H, and is cheaper.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.85)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£74.99) -Not sure what type of NAND this uses, but will it last for OS / few games / applications?
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£44.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£208.70)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.18)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£37.18) -I asumme this will suffice.
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (£15.00)
Total: £733.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 18:50 BST+0100)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't stress about NAND type. It'll last long enough. You are encouraged to get a third-party HSF, since they are much quiet than stock one.

4670 + 2400 RAM will yield about 10% of performance advantage. Without the fast RAM, around 5%.

Onboard audio pretty much sound the same (with exception of "actual good" onboard implementation, such as Creative found in G1 Sniper or SupremeFX found in ASUS). If sound quality is what you are concerned about go external, such as USB DAC (assuming of course you have excellent audio setup).

PSU is enough.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
-As I said, Haswell + 2400Mhz RAM is 7-15% boost. What I didn't say is that it's a boost in multi-tasking and gaming specifically.
-Budget range motherboards don't have "better audio". They have "working audio". As in it works. Higher end motherboards isolate and shield their audio chips to give a better quality, but can't quite match the quality of a discreet sound card (Asus Xonar DX and Creative Sound Blaster Z are the best value ones to get at £60-70).
-A HSF runs cooler and quieter than the stock fan. Cooler means it will last longer. Quieter means you will hate your computer less. A HSF is the single most common upgrade I perform on other people's computers (they complain about the noise, I point out exactly what's causing it, they love me for it afterwards).

A Samsung SSD will definitely last you. I have one myself (the 256GB version).
Whilst 430W will suffice, I personally recommend 500W minimum. The 500W Corsair Builder is just £11 more, but will give you much more room for upgrades in future (e.g. extra drives, or a newer graphics card).
For the Optical drive, I would personally get an external drive (like this Samsung one). Costs slightly more (£22) but it'll probably be the last DVD drive you ever buy. Then again, since this is entirely optional (most never use one after installing Windows), it doesn't really matter either way.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay thanks. :) I think I'll stick to the current CPU and RAM, it's about another £70 otherwise I think, not worth it for that small boost. Instead I'll go for the 3570k giving me the option to overclock if needs be (and IB oc's better than haswell from what I've read). Having the HSF also fits with this decision.

Is this motherboard ok then? It seems rather cheap...

Thanks Originality, to be honest I don't really need a DVD drive (win 7 on a USB), I'll just buy an external drive when I need one. :)

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks. :) I think I'll stick to the current CPU and RAM, it's about another £70 otherwise I think, not worth it for that small boost. Instead I'll go for the 3570k giving me the option to overclock if needs be (and IB oc's better than haswell from what I've read). Having the HSF also fits with this decision.

Is this motherboard ok then? It seems rather cheap...

Thanks Originality, to be honest I don't really need a DVD drive (win 7 on a USB), I'll just buy an external drive when I need one. :)
If overclocking is an option don't get that motherboard. Get Z77-D3H minimum or Z77X-D3H.

DS3H has all of its VRM exposed. Never overclock on VRM exposed motherboard.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're even entertaining the idea of overclocking, you don't want a budget board. Period.
In your case, I'd strongly recommend an Asus Maximus V Gene (or Gigabyte Z77X-UD4H). Costs more, but much better overclocking support (and higher quality components that'll last longer in general, which is what you're paying for).
EDIT: And not that it makes much difference, but the Maximus has a good SupremeFX audio chip built in. Well shielded, with good controls if you know how to use them. Perfecting the acoustics of my room was interesting (with a good set of speakers).

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm ok, in which case I'd be paying an extra £78 in order to overclock. :/ I've no experience in overclocking CPUs but I don't think that's really worth it.

If I scrap the overclocking and the 'k' processor, will that motherboard (£68) be alright?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm ok, in which case I'd be paying an extra £78 in order to overclock. :/ I've no experience in overclocking CPUs but I don't think that's really worth it.

If I scrap the overclocking and the 'k' processor, will that motherboard (£68) be alright?
That motherboard is perfectly fine for stock speed. With the exception of AM3+ platform, it is perfectly fine to run stock speed on VRM exposed/budget motherboard.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I think I've got everything sorted. Also Aria have reduced the i5-3570 by ~£25 meaning it's even cheaper if I buy it all today (2 left in stock :/ ). Does this all look good?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£135.60 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For £24.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (Purchased For £68.19)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For £57.85)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£73.18 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £44.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (Purchased For £208.70)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £63.18)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £726.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-01 13:16 BST+0100)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
1) There is very rarely a right time to buy a computer. Hint hint.
2) If virtual surround is what you're looking for, the internet is raging over Razer's new free software.
3) For gaming on a (relatively) high budget, I would recommend going for a recent i5 (Core i5 4670K), a boot SSD (64GB will do in a pinch, but 128GB is strongly recommended), and a swanky graphics card. That would probably be either an AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition or an NVidia Geforce GTX 770.

EDIT: That RAM seems way too expensive. Good RAM doesn't require heat spreaders, which only get in the way of the CPU cooler. Also, pretty much any 1600MHz RAM will have the same performance on an Intel system, and even going as high as 2400MHz will get you less than a 10% gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: