Hacking Give me your best estimate, what CPU will be "good enough" for 7th gen/Wii U emulation?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
then you didn't future proof. you just bought a PC.
well its all relative, if i know i always play shitty games and i "future proof" my PC, i could buy mid/lower high end stuff and for me that might be good for 5 years, if i fill up 10GB on my PC, buying a 200GB HDD could be considered future proofing ....for myself, where as other people would burn through 200GB in a few weeks, granted the term future proofing is generally used to mean you went ahead and blew hundreds of dollars on a graphics card that will double up as a personal heater during the winter months, but it can be used in personal terms too

Reactions: EclipseSin

Twili

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many emulators could be very decent speeds as things stand, but few emulator authors can be bothered to write dynarecs these days. I think interpreters are great, but dynarecs should always be given first priority. Come at me.

Last edited by Twili,

jamieyello

Professional Dumbass
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many emulators could be very decent speeds as things stand, but few emulator authors can be bothered to write dynarecs these days. I think interpreters are great, but dynarecs should always be given first priority. Come at me.

I can't wait until Citra gets the speed boost it needs to make things playable. Oot looks perfect visually. Maybe when they start working on sound it'll give them a good reason to focus on speed.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Sorry to put it like this but you are absolutely wrong. First you develop something that works, then you try to find ways to optimize it, especially in an emulator where you have to understand all the aspects of the emulated system before even trying to aim for performance. Your statement that "few emulator authors can be bothered to write dynarecs these days" also seems to be wrong, as most of the big emulators have one (Dolphin, PCSX2) and all the new ones (Citra, CEMU) are not yet in a state where optimization can be done.

Last edited by Shuny,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 16 core Intel Xeon cpus should future proof your pc. for a little while. Might as well for for a Quad cpu motherboard and 512GB+ Ram

Twili

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to put it like this but you are absolutely wrong. First you develop something that works, then you try to find ways to optimize it, especially in an emulator where you have to understand all the aspects of the emulated system before even trying to aim for performance. Your statement that "few emulator authors can be bothered to write dynarecs these days" also seems to be wrong, as most of the big emulators have one (Dolphin, PCSX2) and all the new ones (Citra, CEMU) are not yet in a state where optimization can be done.
Reminder that UltraHLE had dynarec on day one. Why can't other emu devs optimize as they go, then? :creep:

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Reminder that UltraHLE had dynarec on day one. Why can't other emu devs optimize as they go, then? :creep:
UltraHLE did use an interpreter as a base to its development: http://www.emuunlim.com/UltraHLE/techinfo.htm

Initially the CPU was emulated in C like in most emulators to get things started, but that was way too slow.

And UltraHLE isn't exactly the best example you could find of a good emulator. Buggy as hell, never updated past its first release and have a pretty poor compatibility list despite being able to run a few N64 games full speed.

Trying to optimize a software before having it working is usually bad practice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, without the l