Hacking Getting DStwo to work on 3DS

jakeyjake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I knew that when I was going to be buying a 3ds, that I'd have to update my DStwo to work on it, and if I didn't do it properly, I would brick it. I, however, forgot that before I traded in my DSlite I needed to update on it. derp a derpa.

Anyways, last night I searched gba temp far and wide, and I found a solution here http://gbatemp.net/t...eginners-guide/

Good news for those of you who accidentally updated to v2.0.0-2 or higher before updating your DSTwo, it is now possible to update from your 3DS, however this method is risky, and not recommended if you can use the normal method in the above spoiler.

In order for this method to work, your 3DS must already recognize the DSTwo and show this icon (if it doesn't show up you're gonna have to use the normal upgrade method in the above spoiler).
092059gjm3mk4uhj9pu9i3%5B1%5D.gif

1. Download firmware 1.13.

2. Extract "dstwoupdate.dat" to the root of your microsd card and rename it to "dstwoupdateb.dat".

3. Put your microsd card into your DSTwo and insert it into your v2.0.0-2 or higher 3DS.

4. Turn on the 3DS and launch the DSTwo, you will see this screen.
092106qryree7rueqefv23%5B1%5D.gif

Stay on this screen, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING, and just wait and wait for 3 minutes, IF YOU TOUCH ANYTHING YOU MAY BRICK YOUR DSTWO.

5. After the 3 minutes is up, turn off the 3DS, then put the microsd card back into your computer and delete "dstwoupdateb.dat".

6. You can now put your microsd card back into your DSTwo, and back into your 3DS, and now your DSTwo should be on firmware 1.13, and it should work normally on your 3ds v2.0.0-2 or higher.

However, unfortunately, I didn't notice that I had to have that specific icon. I had gotten my DStwo to work on the 3ds with the fish tycoon icon. I did all these steps, waiting a good 15 minutes just to be sure. When I did the update, I formatted my sd card with the panasonic sd formatter set to erase (the only setting I changed). I have a 16 gb sandisk class 4 micro sd card. I have the Zelda 25th anniversary 3ds, and I don't think I updated it when I got it, but it's at ver 2.1.0-4u

I feel like such a noob, because I am. I had no issues updating my DS on my lite, but darn this 3ds being so appealing. lol. Whenever I try to load my dstwo on my cart now, it shows up as fish tycoon, and I get that error that you're supposed to wait through, even though I deleted that dat file.

Can anyone help me?

jakeyjake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your DSTwo's base firmware is at a low version, not high enough to run the update itself.

You'll need to apply the update from a DS/Lite or DSi on older firmware.

Thanks! I can borrow a friend's DSi, but it's most likely up to date firmware wise. I'll try on that and see what happens.

jakeyjake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your DSTwo's base firmware is at a low version, not high enough to run the update itself.

You'll need to apply the update from a DS/Lite or DSi on older firmware.

Unfortunately, I couldn't update. I am using my friend's DSi. What update(s?) do I need to do in order for my DStwo to work? You said that my base firmware is at a low version. Which version do I need to update to in order for this to work? The DSi is set to 1.4.3U

jakeyjake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who was paying any attention to this thread, I figured it out. I had to update the stuff in the _dstwo folder BEFORE I could use the update on the firmware that you put in the root of the card. That was if you had the old picture. I still had fish tycoon until after the dstwoupdate.dat update

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just replacing the files in the _dstwo folder is how the DStwo updates for the DSi, this was one of the touted features when the DStwo launched. However, with the 3DS an actual firmware update is required.

So that's why you had to update your EOS first, so that it would work on your friend's DSi, then you could upgrade the firmware.

Reactions: 1 person

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so that second method/part won't work on the 3DS?
Yes it will, that's still flashing the firmware, but the feature was introduced in a version of the firmware far after release. So if the person has a firmware prior to the required one, it won't work (the icon is an indicator that they have the required firmware).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4