The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Errr no.

They're the only one with a product so they can set whatever price people are willing to pay. Only when people stop paying the higher price, or a competitor comes to the market, so they need to lower the price.

But there are also people who don't want to pay or just can't afford to buy the card for $120 whether there's a high demand or not.

D

Deleted User

If this card is not proven to be fake (like many others before) and is supposedly a 1:1 flashcard, here's what you lose in features compared to Gateway:
- no region free
- no eshop roms support
- no rom hacking (rom modifications)
- no fancy menu to select your roms (imagine the wait time when you need to press the hardware button 20 times for the 20th game)
- no homebrew support (ssspwn will be patched on 10.x or higher)
- no savegame editing (what GW claim will be in the next FW)
- no realtime cheats (in theory possible with GW but not with 1:1 flashcard)

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There's still a possibility of custom code running with this. Perhaps nothing that could really touch the system or the SD card, but something that runs in the environment the game was running in. We already have folks re-encrypting hacked roms using the same encryption keys, so in theory if used on this new cart, they would still boot because they have valid encryption. Now this would likely still need a 4.5 console to decrypt/re-encrypt the rom, but I don't see why something like this can't be done.

Game carts aren't encrypted using per-console encryption keys like perhaps the digital titles downloaded from eShop. So someone could make a modified rom that re-encrypted and it will boot with this device on 9.x firmware.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There's still a possibility of custom code running with this. Perhaps nothing that could really touch the system or the SD card, but something that runs in the environment the game was running in. We already have folks re-encrypting hacked roms using the same encryption keys, so in theory if used on this new cart, they would still boot because they have valid encryption. Now this would likely still need a 4.5 console to decrypt/re-encrypt the rom, but I don't see why something like this can't be done.
Pretty sure something about the encryption breaks if you do that. The only reason those games still run is because Gateway removes all the checks.

D

Deleted User

That won't work because if you change even one byte the signatures won't match anymore and an unmodified 3ds will reject it.

Pox

Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely not the latter.
Also the console is JP region.
I was thinking like Vitnamese make those crazy cheap steroids for muscle growth, they could pull this off :yaysp: .

Well, brace yourselves, we ll have a crazy winter on emulation scene

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

Game carts aren't encrypted using per-console encryption keys like perhaps the digital titles downloaded from eShop. So someone could make a modified rom that re-encrypted and it will boot with this device on 9.x firmware.

because that would require kernel patches....this would be a 1:1 deal only

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah if that's the case it still won't work. But Gateway/other flashcart makers likely already have the 7.x keys and a means of properly re-encrypting modified roms. They could modify games to use as a platform for searching for exploits. ;)

because that would require kernel patches....this would be a 1:1 deal only

I did say the rom would have been re-encrypted on a 4.5 console which obviously uses a kernel exploit to to do it. I didn't say people would be able to do any kind of encryption/decryption stuff on a 9.x console currently.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Flashcarts were expensive always except for slot 1 DS carts.. it's always annoying someone complaining about that. N64 copier cost more than the system i think. Cmon it's not a loophole either, it will work on latest. It's not an exploit. It's what Crown3DS was supposed to be with the physical game switch button. 1:1 piracy.

Gateway card was priced around 80 dollar, but you can get it for around 50-60 dollar in china.
Gateway had no competitor at the start. Until the competitor should up. But the price did not went down.
Mainly because those competitor flashcart/service were inferior. Else the price of Gateway has already plummed.

And I think the current hyped cart will probably be patched soon when nintendo found the problem. It will stay on version 9.0.0-20 till the version that doesnt allow it to be exploited.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah if that's the case it still won't work. But Gateway/other flashcart makers likely already have the 7.x keys and a means of properly re-encrypting modified roms. They could modify games to use as a platform for searching for exploits. ;)

I did say the rom would have been re-encrypted on a 4.5 console which obviously uses a kernel exploit to to do it. I didn't say people would be able to do any kind of encryption/decryption stuff on a 9.x console currently.

its the signature thats the problem, not the encryption

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

There's a thing called "digital signature" which prevents that. Unless you go to the Nintendo HQ and steal their private keys.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How can you say that with all the great shit coming out in November alone?
Screenshot - 251014 - 16:23:58.png

Other than Konchuu Monster: Super Battle, which is still October, I am not really seeing it. Mind you the Persona franchise does not do a lot for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY