Geohot Has Hacked The Playstation 3

teusjuh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long
smile.gif

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...

Source information: http://geohotps3.blogspot.com (blog from Geohot)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some work about a week back on this, good to know it came to something.

Awaits flood of questions from those who just do not understand.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Sorry to be a skeptic, but i'll believe it when it becomes publicly accessible. I got my hopes up for that mod chip that looked totally legit too, but then the website turned into a link farm once the "release date" hit.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of doing this I am still waiting for you to release the next Jailbreak for the iPod Touch 3G. I can't turn my iPod Touch off and I really want a untethered jailbreak. So instead of doing stuff for the ps3 please finish what you where doing for the iTouch.

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
jakob95 said:
Instead of doing this I am still waiting for you to release the next Jailbreak for the iPod Touch 3G. I can't turn my iPod Touch off and I really want a untethered jailbreak. So instead of doing stuff for the ps3 please finish what you where doing for the iTouch.

Nah I'm glad he's working on hacking the PS3. The possibilities could be amazing.

As for Iphone/Ipod, they suck.

"In my honest opinion".

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
First it was the Wii, then it was the 360, now its the PS3. Looks like the seventh gen is done.
Well, it's hardly "done" yet. MS waged a pretty good war against modders and the PS3 has barely begun. It took a good while after the Wii was hacked for anything to come of it.

But still, it's pretty cool that Geohot managed to pull it off. I have him to thank for my jailbroken iPod Touch on 3.1.2 and hope to have unsigned stuff running on my PS3 when the time comes.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Rock Raiyu said:
First it was the Wii, then it was the 360, now its the PS3. Looks like the seventh gen is done.
Well, it's hardly "done" yet. MS waged a pretty good war against modders and the PS3 has barely begun. It took a good while after the Wii was hacked for anything to come of it.

But still, it's pretty cool that Geohot managed to pull it off. I have him to thank for my jailbroken iPod Touch on 3.1.2 and hope to have unsigned stuff running on my PS3 when the time comes.
Well, I meant exploit wise. I'm not talking about homebrew or hack wise lol.

It always starts with one exploit which then expands into homebrew and hacks which then turn into many more exploits. That's just how the scene works in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: damn @SylverReZ , when the last time you seen and felt grass?