GBAtemp's Gaming Fight Club #3: Metroid vs Castlevania

smackdown.jpeg

Shout Out to @Flame for this weeks fight!

Hello everyone and welcome back to a new GBAtemp Series by yours truly, the GBATEMP FIGHT CLUB!
Here's how Fight Club throws down tempers and temptresses. I'm going to take either 2 franchises, 2 characters, 2 specific games, or 2 of SOMETHING gaming related, and I'm going to pit them against each other for your enjoyment. But how do we declare a victor you may ask? That's where you come in!

The way this will work is I will give a brief synopsis of the two rivaling entities, and leave it up to all of you to vote and debate which one is the better being, and why that is. A combination of the poll votes, and the arguments made in this thread, will determine the victor! I will take poll votes into account for the most part, but the supporting arguments will also heavily decide who the victor will truly be.

This will be an attempted weekly act every Monday, where a victor will be chosen and a new round will begin, so you will have one week to argue and determine who or what the better of the two is. So without further ado, let's get to our competitors this week:

METROID VS CASTLEVANIA
latest
We have a term in the gaming world for exploratory sidescrolling adventure/platforming titles. We call them, Metroidvania's, rightfully and wonderfully established by our two competitors this week.

270240.jpg

We can thank Metroid and the Later Super Metroid, for establishing the standard of the Metroidvania concepts. Metroid was a revolutionary adventure title that broke linear elements and created one of the most amazing scifi universes in Nintendo's arsenal.

custom_castlevania_logo_by_lostplumber_tman1593-d5167ef.png

But our competitor also created the other half of this concept. Specifically Castlevania: Symphony of The Night, establishing and using a large open world to explore, the need to acquire key items to enter certain areas, and the ability to improve the player-character.

These franchises are so similar in gameplay, but so wonderfully different in story. Both are titans that created the standard of Metroidvania's, but only ONE can be the victor!

If you have a suggestion for what the next fight should be, leave a post on my profile page!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
castlevania.. end of thread.

NEXT!

both great game series, and games which in its era did something which other platformers didn't do which is add a RPG element with a great story. other platformers was about getting to the end of the level. these games is about the experience which a good game should be about.

but castlevania just has that dark edge which i like, when you are playing makes you feel like your in the deep of it.

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: Deleted User

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Where's the D) None of the Above answer? ;O;

For me, neither of these series were really interesting. I don't know why, I just can't ever finish any games in either of the series, they always bore me to death. I love the "lore" of Metroid, but the games just kill it for me (though I still haven't tried the Prime games).

I think I beat one Castlevania game, on the GBA, but it took me ages to do it whenever I was bored or had a long car ride and pogymanz got too dumb.

They both just seem too focused on mindless exploration and backtracking than real progression (which is such a dumb reason, for me in particular, to hate on since :tom: Souls series) and instead of being fun it just feels tedious. I suppose it's just because I tried playing both series long after they made their entry into the gaming world and spawned the numerous Metroidvania games that I also hated.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oddly, I never played any of the Castlevanias, but I've beaten all of the old platformer Metroids (even the tedious gb one), so it gets my vote. Besides, Samus is more attractive than Simon. That and I always go with sci-fi over fantasy/horror.

Last edited by Foxchild,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just can't ever finish any games in either of the series, they always bore me to death.

I seldom feel the need to finish the story but I can get mine from playing them to around the mid point or 2/3 or the story mark and then messing around.

Anyway... I actually missed out on most of the earlier Castlevanias and most of my memories from when they were "current" are for the GBA and DS ones, possibly also Lords of Shadow and I guess somehow the N64 ones.
Metroid. Prime 1 was probably the first one I really sat down and played, still have not played the later ones other than a spell with other m to have a giggle. The GBA games were not bad though.

With the above I have no great memories from playing such games in my formative years (nobody, including myself, really ever had them on the 8 or 16 bit consoles) and that means for those I mostly went in and played them after the fact. The aged better than most but at least in the case of Castlevania I keep wanting GBA/DS style systems rather than almost straight action game/ninja gaiden clone.

To that end I am indifferent and would not bat an eyelid from anything beyond a business/IP holder perspective if they went away tomorrow -- someone got the bright idea to mix elements of that game with roguelike elements and give me things like rogue legacy which do most of what I would want those games. I would not say either has outstayed its welcome or floundered all that much in recent times (though I can see people disliking lords of shadow and other m and looking instead to the handheld offerings... oh yeah prime hunters) but at the same time I am not looking to them to create new things or scratch an itch.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you look at the Metroid series as a whole, it is clearly the victor. Not just because of the heights of this franchise, but how the immersive experience developed over the years. The mindblowing transition from 2D to 3D isn't even the main point I'm trying to address. It's the sheer exploration and signature atmosphere that Metroid is known for is what truly makes this great. The fantastic storytelling combined with the ability to wander around wherever you please to discover hidden paths, the satisfying pickup of items or new areas you discover that wasn't accessible previously (backtracking), and the musical score makes this series larger than it already is.

Very few adventure games give you the chills like Metroid does. There are countless moments in each game that forever lay in the hearts of gamers to this day. Metroid Prime and Super Metroid have reached beyond critical acclaim and rightly so. The Metroid series is such a captivating experience for any gamer, young and old, and is simply a must-play for even anyone remotely interested in the world of gaming.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Oh, Castlevania all the way! I don't find the Metroid games particularly bad, per-se, but most bored me within the first few hours of gameplay. Compare this to one of my absolute favorite franchises, responsible for some personally intense and wondrous gaming moments, and there's just no contest.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played either franchise extensively, and when I did play them for a bit, it was through emulation. As far as finishing them, I only did so on Metroid 1 and Super Castlevania 4. So going off that alone, I loved Super Castlevania 4 more, therefore Castlevania gets my vote.

Reactions: Aidan25

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Easily Castlevania. Way too fun. I love all of them and have spent hundreds of hours in those games.
Metroid was okay. I don't think i've ever beat one except Prime.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Metroid has better 3d and is more relied on skills and precision, and modern castle vania has some unbalanced stat you can only even by spending time levelling. But I do like where ritual of the night is going, and I hope we still get a real prime/ fusion sequel with less linear gameplay. I do not favour the new castlevania. Satan was no more than a boss in the classic, but becomes the strongest thing in Lords of shadows, and neither do I favour federation force.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1