OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[h2]GBAtemp book game club #87[/h2]

Maestro! Jump in Music (NDS)

Apologies for the lack of an issue last week, hopefully the GBAtemp recommends suggestion of Cannon Fodder (there is a top notch DS homebrew remake) sorted you in the meantime.
Maestro! Jump in Music then, a joint effort between Pastagames and Neko Entertainment (several Bratz games, Crazy Frog Racer) and published by BigBen Interactive..... yeah this is another of our "shovelware that really is not" titles.
We might have been a bit hard on Neko Entertainment there as they did also make the interesting Super Army War for the GBA, the Cocoto series and Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity, alongside that a few of their other licensed games which have some interesting ideas. Still we hold this game is head and shoulders above the others in their catalogue.
Here is where we try to describe the gameplay and here is probably where we will come up short, it is nominally a platformer but actions are controlled by various touchscreen actions in time with the backing track which makes this more of a rhythm game (though rhythm and platform games have long gone hand in hand). Speaking of the backing tracks many of them are classical or otherwise orchestral but there are some great little curveballs from pop, ska and other genres of music in there. We also have to note it is multi10 with Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish being represented which is above and beyond what many other, far bigger, game developers do. The game has since gone on to see an IOS port and something on DSiware as well.

Trailer​

[prebreak]Rest of the article[/prebreak]
gt5697.png

Were we wrong in calling "shovelware that really is not" earlier or did the developers showcase something interesting? If you liked this then we also suggest you check out the DS homebrew game everlasting love, it previously featured in the GBAtemp recommends homebrew series when we looked at some of the earlier DS homebrew.
There are quite a few other rhythm titles for the DS if you go looking so feel free to share your chosen ones in the thread below.

We are working on getting a new searching mechanism working with the new forum software now our tag system has been changed. In the meantime all the editions are in this section and hopefully a search for GBAGOTW should get you the other entries in the series. gbagotw.

The GBAtemp book game club/GBAtemp game of the week feature is one of several we have so as to have more than news on our portal.
"GBAtemp recommends!" is something of a sister project but we have slightly different goals and methods of setting about things. Where recommends is about the topic creator doing a full review and history of the title GBAtemp book game club is more about allowing for the "user driven review/discussion of a selected title" to happen. As part of that we try to avoid reviewing a title beyond a cursory once over and some background. We also like to note we are frequently about exploring interesting ideas, something the consoles we tend to look at have no shortage of, and have no desire to add to the pile of "top ? games"/"hidden gems" features for a given system.
We have no set consoles to pick from but it is only rarely that we will step outside the GBA, the DS and the Wii and if we do then chances are it will be able to be emulated on the DS, we will try to inform you if a game has a port or franchise entry on another system though. From those though we consider commercial games, homebrew, ROM hacks and things like leaked betas.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I really liked this game, the first round where you basically play one third of a song ( sort of like a preview ) is easy going and fun, but once you unlock the " normal " difficulty or whatever it's called, and you get so excited to unlock more of your favorite tunes ( I really loved the one from the Good Bad and Ugly western movie ) it becomes so outrageously difficult to play that I was almost afraid I was gonna brake my DSiXL touch screen if I played it any harder....
And I'm a pretty good GH/RB player, I play mostly on hard and some songs on expert without any problems.....

So , my main complaint about this game was the unbalanced difficulty which starts OK but then gets really frustrating too soon, just when you start to have fun !
Such a shame really, I wish they had tuned this up a little bit better.

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah this is another of out shovelware that really is not titles.
This is just one of the many incomprehensible sentences in the text.

Who wrote this? Certainly couldn't have been the well-versed FAST6191, could it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gah.... somehow the "tap it out in notepad" version ended up on the main post.

That should have read "yeah this is another of our "shovelware that really is not" titles."- though I tend not to have many themes to this feature I do like to occasionally showcase titles that look like shovelware titles (and this one had all the hallmarks of such a title- the developer deals almost exclusively in it and the publisher is not much better) but are actually games worth knowing about.

I did also mean to mention the go through easy mode first nature of things here, usually I try to have a save prepped for those purposes but there was none on filetrip and mine got lost in a shuffle a while back.

This might actually be a fairly interesting game to hack as well though the abundance of 3d might trouble things here.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They use Edvard Grieg's In The Hall Of The Mountain King in everything don't they.
Sonic the Hedgehog, The Who, electro, techno, dubstep, hardcore, Captain Jack, even NDS games.
But I guess that's what happens to catchy tunes.

transgenic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The intention is good, but it is not pleasant to play. The accompaniments sound of actions distract me, and are not in harmony with the song.
At least has a good difficulty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*