Homebrew GBARunner2

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried a couple Pokemon rom hacks (namely, Glazed and Sweet 2th) but neither one loads. It just black-screens when I start it up and doesn't even put up the GBA logo thing. What do I do?
Edit: Mucked around with settings and they work now.

Last edited by Plasmaster09,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another update on dsp audio. I've almost completely implemented it. The results seem to be pretty good. I've attached a test build (dsi version, also works on 3ds but only uses 16MB). I'd like to know which games work well, and which games might still have problems.

Note: The screeching sound on the ingame menu is a known issue, I still need to implement pausing the sound.

Attachments

• GBARunner2.zip
    82.7 KB · Views: 200

nublet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is GBARunner2 available as an installable DSiWare? I'd like to install it on the DSi Home Menu (similar to how GameYob has a DSiWare binary).

I couldn't find out how to convert the existing GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds file into something that could be installed (can ndstool do it?)

Reactions: SummonerArthur

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is GBARunner2 available as an installable DSiWare? I'd like to install it on the DSi Home Menu (similar to how GameYob has a DSiWare binary).

I couldn't find out how to convert the existing GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds file into something that could be installed (can ndstool do it?)
It isn't available in any installable way, however I seem you can make .nds files just show up on the dsi menu using a tool. Lemme check to see if I can find it.

Edit: No, it's not possible. Even if you use tmfh it won't let you. My only advice is to boot straight into twilightmenu and run gbarunner2 from there.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Another update on dsp audio. I've almost completely implemented it. The results seem to be pretty good. I've attached a test build (dsi version, also works on 3ds but only uses 16MB). I'd like to know which games work well, and which games might still have problems.

Note: The screeching sound on the ingame menu is a known issue, I still need to implement pausing the sound.
It sounds amazing to me now! Sure I can tell that the overall quality is a bit lower than what it should be and some subtle tunes are cut a bit short, but aside from that Contra Advance for example has propper timing for the music, so now it's actually listenable. It's a huge leap from what it was before. Good job!

Also I noticed that the first "wall" with a soldier on top you come to after playing the first 1~ minute makes weird sounds when firing those bombs that hit the ground.

Btw I tried running Sonic Advance 1 + 2 on this release on dsi and they both halt seconds after booting with a couple of gray bars scrolling across the screen and halting. Music still plays fine so it doesn't freeze. What I did hear of music did sound better. It actually sounds like the real music is supposed to because of proper timing/sync. Sonic Advance 3 works fine though.
EDIT: Tested them on a DSi using latest release on github and the games run without this problem.

Other games I tested that ran with better sound were:
  • Advance Guardian Heroes - Music plays very well.
  • Bomberman Tournament - Music plays very well.
  • Dragon Quest Monster Caravan Heart (JAP) - Music played very well. It already did on previous release but now the battle, overworld and first tent musics are timed right, there's no crackling sound when entering a battle and the quality is better. Some slight crackling can be heard in the area where you meet up with the caravan. In addition I managed to test that the game saves correctly @Dodain47 . I tested both the japanese and the translated game and both work the same until the first tent on the world map and saving in the church there.
  • Final Fantasy I & II - Some slight problems with timing in the Gurgu Volcano music. I also noticed a slight stutter/hiccup at the loop point of this particular music. Pause screen music played and looped well. Maybe a bit "fuzzy". Used save that was posted by another user here... Gbarunner2 still crashes at the same point right after beating the Lich on DSi version.
  • Gunstar Super Heroes - Cleared first stage. Regular crackling sound during starting screens with publisher etc. and during intro movie. Rest of the sound played very well. The crackling is not there in the regular latest non DSP gbarunner2 on 3ds. The sound actually plays really well on the regular version, maybe better than the DSP because of the crackling in the dsp version.
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror - Sound plays very well. Some stuttering when loading new screen. Regular 3ds gbarunner2 does not have these stutters but occasional noise/screeching in going to hub world. Also regular version has random hitches or resets of the music.
  • Magical Quest 2 Mickey etc. Sound was very good. Played until second stage.
  • Magical Quest 3 Mickey etc. - Sound was very good. Played until the first stage. Fixes timing issues present in regular 3ds version.
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit - The menu sound after choosing something on the start screen had better timing and overall sounded better.
  • Metabots Metabee - Natsume game - Known to have issues with sound. Lots of sounds get dropped. The regular version actually plays these sounds, but it suffers from more desyncing of the various channels. I checked by listening to the music select in the title screen and I also started a new game to get an impression. Regular gbarunner2 might actually be a bit better for the sound here. Also the intro music during publisher screen is completely missing in dsp version whereas the regular gbarunner2 plays all of this pretty well.
  • Pokemon Ruby - Timing and channels play great. Some lack in clarity/quality and a bit "fuzzy".
  • Shining Soul - Channels seem to be synced right now. Checked out the first dungeon.
  • Sonic Advance 3 - Music has better timing now. Some channels are a bit off tune so the music does not sound too good. This is easily noticable in Sunset Hill where you can hear the iconic green hill zone tune. It originally sounds not too good, imo of course, so that might've been it.

Last edited by Zense,
D

Deleted User

I did some testing with my 3DS and TWl speed.
No-Intro roms.
Games that run fine

Alienators Evolution -
first level completed.
Batman Vengeance - first level completed.
Blackthorne - played the tutorial and first level. music is playing for the first time ever.
Blender Bros - first level completed.
Breath of Fire - fought a couple random encounter battle on the overworld map.
Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow - defeated the first boss.
Castlevania - Circle of the Moon - played until the first save spot.
Castlevania - Harmony of Dissonance - played until the first save spot.
Donkey Kong Country - first 4 level completed.
Donkey Kong Country 3 - first 4 level completed.
Doom 2 - first level completed. game runs fine with wram i-cache disabled.
F-Zero Climax - finished mute city in the bronze cup on novice difficulty.
F-Zero GP Legend - finished mute city in the bronze cup on novice difficulty.
Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones - prologue and first chapter completed.
Fire Emblem - Fuuin no Tsurugi - first chapter completed.
Goemon - New Age Shutsudou! - first level Edo Highway completed.
Gradius Advance - played the first stage.
Groove Adventure Rave 1 & 2 - fought a battle.
GT Championship - played a race in championship mode.
Guilty Gear X - Advance Edition - fought a battle in arcade mode.
Hikaru no Go 1 - played the tutorial.
Invader - first level completed.
Klonoa Empire of Dreams - 2 levels completed.
Klonoa 2 - Dream Champ Tournament - 2 levels completed.
Kurukuru Kururin - 5 training level completed.
Mega Man & Bass - first stage completed.
Mega Man Zero 4 - first stage completed.
Metroid Fusion - first boss defeated.
Metroid Zero Mission - Kraid defeated.
Pokemon Emerald - fought a couple random encounter battle on my way to the next town.
Pokemon Pinball - played both fields.
Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire - fought a couple random encounter battle on my way to the next town.
Sonic Advance 1 & 2 with patch made by Vague Rant - first level completed.
Sonic Advance 3 - first level completed.
Sonic Pinball Party - played a game in arcade mode.
Sonic the Hedgehog - Act 1&2 completed.
Steel Empire - first stage completed.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 upper - fought a match in single mode.
Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 1 - fought a couple random encounter battle at the first dungeon.
Super Mario Advance - Super Mario Bros 2 - first level completed.
Super Mario Advance 2 - Super Mario World - first castle completed.
Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi´s Island - first boss defeated.
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo - played a match in arcade mode.
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival - fought a match in arcade mode.
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past - rescued princess zelda from castle hyrule.
The Legend of Zelda - The Minish Cap - arrived at the minish village.
Wario Ware - completed the intro stage.

Games with (minor) issues:

Batman - Rise of Sin Tsu -
first level completed. some sounds are missing/minor noise during the titlescreen.
Breath of Fire 2 - fought a couple random encounter battle on the overworld map. minor fuzzy noise during your stay at the church.
Donkey Kong Country 2 - first 4 level completed. Minor fuzzy noise during gameplay.
Doom - game crashed during the first level. could be a dsi related issue.
F-Zero Maximum Velocity - finished Bianca City in the Pawn Series on Beginner difficulty. The guitar
sample sounds quiet compared to other sounds.
Final Fantasy 1 & 2 - Dawn of Souls - FF1: minor sound issues noticeable in the first town track. game crashes after the lich battle. this is a known issue.
FF2: Minor noise during the track that plays at the rebel hideout.
Final Fantasy 4 Advance - played the intro. game freezes after cecil passes through the devil´s road. this is a known issue.
Final Fantasy 5 Advance - minor noise during the intro. very rarely out of sync.
Final Fantasy 6 Advance - minor noise during the intro and the first boss battle. The snow intro
scene runs too fast. this is a known issue.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - fought the intro battle with montblanc. minor noise during the intro.
Final Fight One - played the first stage. minor sounds are missing.
Fire Emblem - prologue and first chapter completed. minor fuzzy noise
Godzilla Domination - fought a battle in story mode. minor fuzzy noise.
GT Advance - Championship Racing - played a race in championship mode. minor fuzzy noise in the course select menu.
GT Advance 2 - Rally Racing - played a race in world rally mode. minor fuzzy noise during the course select menu.
GT Advance 3 - Pro Concept Racing - played a race in championship mode. minor fuzzy noise in the course select menu.
GT Racers - played a race in championship mode. minor fuzzy noise during the titlescreen.
Hikaru no Go 2 - played the tutorial. minor fuzzy noise.
Invincible Iron Man - played the first level. many gfx glitches, minor fuzzy noise.
Iridion 3D - game won´t boot.
Iridion 2 - crashes soon after the first boss is defeated. this is a known issue. at least you can defeat the boss now.
Kururin Paradise - 5 training level completed. minor fuzzy noise, most notable during the victory fanfare.
Mega Man Zero 1-3 - first stage completed. minor fuzzy noise.
Pokemon Fire Red & Leaf Green - fought a couple random encounter battle. minor fuzzy noise, could be my imagination.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - walked around the dungeon. minor fuzzy noise during the intro.
Sonic Battle - fought a battle. minor fuzzy noise.
Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 2 - fought the intro battle. minor fuzzy noise, most notable during battle.
Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 3 - fought the intro battle. minor fuzzy noise, most notable during battle.
Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros 3 - first fortress completed. minor fuzzy noise during the overworld map.
Sword of Mana - no sound yet. game crashes during the intro. this is a known issue.
Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis - game crashes after the atlus logo. probably memory related.
Trickstar - played a race in league mode. minor noise, sounds are missing.
Wario Land 4 - fought the first boss battle. minor fuzzy noise. minor sounds are missing.

Last edited by ,

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

Where to put this to test it and should i delete other versions?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Where to put this to test it and should i delete other versions?
I assume you're running it with twilightmenu. Put it in _nds and if you're using a DSi replace the dsi version of gbarunner2 with this, renaming the new one with the old gbarunner2 dsi file's name. If you're on a system of the 3ds family do the same thing except with the 3ds gbarunner2.nds file under _nds. I don't remember the exact names of these gbarunner2 files, but you should be able to figure it out.

Lenks

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Yes! I'm testing now will edit this post with results. :)

Testing Device - DSi XL, Latest TWiLightMenu++, Latest HiyaCFW, 32GB Ultra Class 10 SDHC

• The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – works perfect, audio quality is decent and better than before, no delays anymore
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – works perfect, audio quality is decent and better than before, no delays anymore
  • Golden Sun – perfect, audio quality is decent, no delays
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge – perfect, music and everything is pretty sweet
  • Baldur’s Gate – no delays but audio is awful, probably the original audio is awful as well idk
  • Contra – unresponsive black screen (probably rom issues)
  • Metal Slug – everything is perfect, sound is decent, no delay
  • Lady Sia – perfect, audio quality is decent, no delay
  • Ninja Turtles 2 in 1 – first game works perfect, no delays in audio, second boot to black screens (probably rom issues)

Later I can test more roms, just tell me if someone wants something specific to test :)

Last edited by Lenks,

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes! I'm testing now will edit this post with results. :)

Testing Device - DSi XL, Latest TWiLightMenu++, Latest HiyaCFW, 32GB Ultra Class 10 SDHC

• The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap – works perfect, audio quality is decent and better than before, no delays anymore
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – works perfect, audio quality is decent and better than before, no delays anymore
  • Golden Sun – perfect, audio quality is decent, no delays
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge – perfect, music and everything is pretty sweet
  • Baldur’s Gate – no delays but audio is awful, probably the original audio is awful as well idk
  • Contra – unresponsive black screen (probably rom issues)
  • Metal Slug – everything is perfect, sound is decent, no delay
  • Lady Sia – perfect, audio quality is decent, no delay
  • Ninja Turtles 2 in 1 – first game works perfect, no delays in audio, second boot to black screens (probably rom issues)

Later I can test more roms, just tell me if someone wants something specific to test :)
Contra Advance: Alien Wars EX does actually run. Are you using no-intro or any clean rom?

Last edited by Zense,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ninja Turtles 2 in 1 – first game works perfect, no delays in audio, second boot to black screens (probably rom issues)
Not likely. It's due to the last half of the ROM containing the second game not being loaded into memory, and would only be loaded on 3DS, due to the extra memory.
If you want to try the 2nd game, please use the standalone ROM.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

RaymanTheHedgehog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I tried to play the entire Mega Man Zero series finded some things (tested on NDS Lite):

-Zero1 is playable start to end, however trends to slowdown heavy when there's to many enemies onscreen

-Zero2 exactly like the first one, but bosses graphics glitches to much

-Zero3 Only has slowdown

-Zero4 doesn't have problems as far's i know

Also, the restoration patches for Mega Man Zero are unplayable, it crashes with a heavy beep when a bloodsplatter is onscreen (maybe this also happens with the japanese rom?)

D

Deleted User

I tried to play the entire Mega Man Zero series finded some things (tested on NDS Lite):

-Zero1 is playable start to end, however trends to slowdown heavy when there's to many enemies onscreen

-Zero2 exactly like the first one, but bosses graphics glitches to much

-Zero3 Only has slowdown

-Zero4 doesn't have problems as far's i know

Also, the restoration patches for Mega Man Zero are unplayable, it crashes with a heavy beep when a bloodsplatter is onscreen (maybe this also happens with the japanese rom?)
The crash with the restoration patches applied could be a case of highcode.
Edit: I tested Mega Man Zero 1-4 with restoration patches applied with my 3DS. No crashes, the games are playable. So it is indeed highcode related.
Edit2: For some reason i´m getting a "Error SCFG Locked!" message when I start this build with my base DS console.
The latest master release works fine though.

Last edited by ,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The crash with the restoration patches applied could be a case of highcode.
Edit: I tested Mega Man Zero 1-4 with restoration patches applied with my 3DS. No crashes, the games are playable. So it is indeed highcode related.
Edit2: For some reason i´m getting a "Error SCFG Locked!" message when I start this build with my base DS console.
The latest master release works fine though.
If you mean the dsp one, that one only works on dsi and 3ds. There is no dsp in the ds.

raytan168

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
hi, if i would like to play pokemon emerald (clean rom) using the ndsl with twilight menu do i need to use the commit 371815e (2019/09/11) build instead the latest build bundled with twilight menu ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yucky times. :sad: