GBAChef: People that can't or won't eat popular foods, how do you work around it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbachef-png.3459

For whatever reason people might be unable, or unwilling, to eat certain things. Don't much care whether it is allergies, diet, morality, cost/geography, religion or similar for the purposes of this one. Also plays if you have friends and family that won't and you need to figure out a way to make something everybody wants.
Most times I find something being called nut, gluten, sugar, wheat*... free it is synonymous with taste free or just being on the label because it just so happens to be that by dint of the normal recipe but there are exceptions. That said I usually find what people that have to handle such things manage to do tastes pretty good and thus is worth asking.

*there are a few more ancient forms of wheat that you seem to be able to buy in even the tiny supermarket (doesn't have a clothes section it is that small) a small town near here has that some people doing some of the wheat exclusion diets might still be able to have, though be sure you read and know what you are doing here.

Myself.
Tomatoes.
I hate them and they hate me. If I eat something with tomato paste, powder or sauce (surprisingly common as they are a cheap flavour enhancer and bulking agent, also common for things to switch up and add some where normally they would not or be in other brands) it squirts out of me the other end at some pace. Eating a raw tomato would make me wretch, I could conceivably have some sauce and have done in the past (made some nice dishes even) but see previous results.
This means no contemporary pizza, no lasagne, no Branston pickle, and having to be ever observant for just about everything when out shopping.

My solution.
Jars of grilled peppers. Some consider them a southern European/Mediterranean food, certainly I found them in such shops when I was in the US. Drain them, slice them fine or blend them as necessary, and they make a serviceable red sauce for whatever needs it. I have some salt with ground up seaweed in it and it brings it up a notch, and whatever else you might do to make tomato based sauces work better will likely work here too (assuming it is not "add tomato paste"). Do note however if the recipe calls for water then do less of it as these peppers seem to contain a lot.

I also had banana ketchup the other week. Was lovely.

I don't do so well with peanuts. Cashews on the other hand, and cashew butter when peanut butter is called for, works pretty well for most things. That said it is rather expensive -- made a nice satay chicken the other week which was delicious but given a small jar of cashew butter is several times what a bog standard peanut offering is... worse is most of the combination nut butters use peanut as a bulking agent.

I ran out of eggs the other week and was making a cake. Fortunately the cupboard was stocked with all sorts of oddities here and one was an egg replacement you mix up with water. Resulting cake (one called hummingbird cake) was fine but as olive oil is the fat in that one I don't know what the wider effects are. Said olive oil based cake mix (I mostly do an apple one with apple butter or a banana one, got some pumpkin in to try at some point later) also means you dodge the butter or margarine of others but if you are after airy cake** then don't -- this is stodge cake at its finest.
**I am generally of the opinion that sponge cake is cake made for people that want to be naughty and have some cake but also punish themselves in the process.

I have tried coconut sugar in place of sugar. Maybe 70% and most of the people I know that don't do sugar will do maple syrup or fructose instead so that makes that one easier. Speaking of sugar is something calls for caster sugar then I usually go for brown or even dark brown instead.

I have yet to find a good milk replacement. Oat milk might be OK for cooking (even had some nice custard made with it) but no good for anything else.

Certainly never found a good cheese replacement, though do check what you have as it might just be cow dairy that bothers you. Tried several types and vaguely edible plastic is about as far as I get there.

Goat butter does OK when cooking things. I don't do butter normally though so eh. Not a fan of ghee really but some do well here.

I did hear the vegan magnums taste good. Don't know if I believe it myself -- vegans certainly don't taste good.

Everybody I know is a fan of garlic whether they realise it or not (my dad in particular having several stories of more elderly acquaintances saying "I don't like it", to which he had to giggle inside as "the last 50 dinners you had around here all had it, and you went back for seconds" which makes me think it is more badly cooked garlic that does people in). Still asafoetida is not without its charms here.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, you're a fellow tomato-hater? Yay! :hrth:
Yeah, I also can't stand tomatoes, due to the taste. When it comes to pizza, I ALWAYS get Barbecue sauce. Pasta? Carbonara. Salads? Fish the damn red things out.
This is why I'm extremely hesitant to order pizza at Italian places, and why I love Dominos and Crust so much - pizza customisability.

What else...oh yeah, capsicum (bell peppers, I believe the alternative name is). Looks like those plastic, inedible fruit things. Don't like the taste either. Olives are disgusting. I do eat meat, but not anything chewy - steak, for example; instead, I eat bacon, ham, mild salami, prosciutto, and schnitzel (veal or chicken). Lamb, steak, chicken legs, etc. no way - I also don't like choking hazards (who does?) so I don't like boned meat.

However, I DO like spinach (due to my maternal grandparents introducing my child self to Popeye), broccoli, mango, avocado, sliced carrot, mushroom, pineapple (pineapple on pizza is delicious - fight me), watermelon and green grapes.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I too hated raw tomatoes. I did not mind ketchup and pasta or sauce though, but raw tomatoes - ugh! Then, one time when I was hungry, I decided to just eat a raw tomato, and it was delicious. I couldn't comprehend why, possibly because I ate it alongside a cold chicken breast. Now, I love eating raw tomatoes (especially if you spice it up with a pinch of salt!), and tomato slices. I still hate tomato juice and I think people who enjoy it don't quite grasp the concept of "juice".

I also had banana ketchup the other week. Was lovely.
Excuse me, WHAT? :blink:

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
For me it's onions. I won't (knowingly) eat anything with it and if I feel the taste or the texture I can't continue eating anymore. I usually only eat out stuff that I'm 100% sure does not contain onions, and ask friend and family not to use them when it's possible, otherwise I just make my own food.
I also dislike beans which are really popular in my country. Anything with too much water/sauce is a no-no for me actually.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too hated raw tomatoes. I did not mind ketchup and pasta or sauce though, but raw tomatoes - ugh! Then, one time when I was hungry, I decided to just eat a raw tomato, and it was delicious. I couldn't comprehend why, possibly because I ate it alongside a cold chicken breast. Now, I love eating raw tomatoes (especially if you spice it up with a pinch of salt!), and tomato slices. I still hate tomato juice and I think people who enjoy it don't quite grasp the concept of "juice".

Excuse me, WHAT? :blink:
I was cutting some for someone a little while back and some juice sprayed into my mouth. Did not have a good time after that.

Also yeah on banana ketchup I was as shocked as you but in the spirit of giving things a try I did and it was lovely. Far nicer than mushroom ketchup. Was thick enough to probably be used as a substitute for tomato paste as well.

Wait, you're a fellow tomato-hater? Yay! :hrth:
Yeah, I also can't stand tomatoes, due to the taste. When it comes to pizza, I ALWAYS get Barbecue sauce. Pasta? Carbonara. Salads? Fish the damn red things out.
This is why I'm extremely hesitant to order pizza at Italian places, and why I love Dominos and Crust so much - pizza customisability.

What else...oh yeah, capsicum (bell peppers, I believe the alternative name is). Looks like those plastic, inedible fruit things. Don't like the taste either. Olives are disgusting. I do eat meat, but not anything chewy - steak, for example; instead, I eat bacon, ham, mild salami, prosciutto, and schnitzel (veal or chicken). Lamb, steak, chicken legs, etc. no way - I also don't like choking hazards (who does?) so I don't like boned meat.

However, I DO like spinach (due to my maternal grandparents introducing my child self to Popeye), broccoli, mango, avocado, sliced carrot, mushroom, pineapple (pineapple on pizza is delicious - fight me), watermelon and green grapes.

Relevant at this point

As far as salads then generally I would never order one (most chefs or food critic types would probably make that a suggestion) and thus I am making it myself and don't have to worry.
Forgot to say if you don't mind gassing everybody out then some places do a garlic sauce with their pizza.

Olives I could choke down but have never felt compelled to eat any on the table. Olive oil is pretty good for cooking with though (indeed I don't think I have a better choice that is not the fat of an animal, and that is situational as well).
As for bell peppers well see my substitute for tomatoes in the opening post, and in general I think they are great.

I suppose to finish I should lose all my internet points and note that I don't like bacon at all. Had various types done all manner of ways and just don't care for it at all, and will fish it out of anything it is in or avoid ordering it if it has some.

Edit.
Yippee I'm not the only one that thinks tomatoes are Evil. They taste disgusting have a horrible texture and always give me the shits. For yearsbI thought I was the only one :rofl2:
Speaking to various family members (curiously all the Scottish line/side of things but growing up all over the world with all sorts of different cuisines) they often hate the things as well. Some others don't though.

For me it's onions. I won't (knowingly) eat anything with it and if I feel the taste or the texture I can't continue eating anymore. I usually only eat out stuff that I'm 100% sure does not contain onions, and ask friend and family not to use them when it's possible, otherwise I just make my own food.
I also dislike beans which are really popular in my country. Anything with too much water/sauce is a no-no for me actually.
What do you think of spring onions? What about chives? Leeks? Celery?
https://www.verywellhealth.com/cooking-without-onions-or-garlic-1324033 has some other alternatives here that would also be on the list.

Personally I love onions but that is a different thread (I don't think we are ready for the preferred base for cooking).

Last edited by FAST6191,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1