GBA ROM decompiler files

MilkyWasTaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!. I new to decompile games but Story short, I want to decompiler donkey kong country 3 For GameBoy Advance for some audios and also decals can this be possible to extract or isn't?

Thank you!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was stuck in the previous forum incarnation but when the sections got merged it did not make the cut.

Anyway decompiler in the sense you probably mean it (like ndstool or the various CD/DVD based games but for the GBA) does not exist for commercial GBA games (homebrew might use the http://pineight.com/gba/#gbfs system or a similar one). GBA game data is mushed into one big blob.
For audio then most games (though not as many as the DS and its audio format) will use the sappy format. This has a few tools that can fish it out from the ROM.

Several people have looked at Donkey Kong games on the GBA, usually with an eye to making them closer to the SNES originals (as well as palettes there is also some trouble with reduced resolution things). You might find something more in those discussions, romhacking.net forums having several.

Reactions: MilkyWasTaken

MilkyWasTaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was stuck in the previous forum incarnation but when the sections got merged it did not make the cut.

Anyway decompiler in the sense you probably mean it (like ndstool or the various CD/DVD based games but for the GBA) does not exist for commercial GBA games (homebrew might use the system or a similar one). GBA game data is mushed into one big blob.
For audio then most games (though not as many as the DS and its audio format) will use the sappy format. This has a few tools that can fish it out from the ROM.

Several people have looked at Donkey Kong games on the GBA, usually with an eye to making them closer to the SNES originals (as well as palettes there is also some trouble with reduced resolution things). You might find something more in those discussions, romhacking.net forums having several.
Can this be done using a Rom and extract data game files on it? and how can this be done?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can this be done using a Rom and extract data game files on it? and how can this be done?
No that was what I trying to say in the post above.

The GBA was the last of the mainstream systems to bundle everything into one big file and have the game's own code handle it all. Later systems, almost anything on a floppy disc, almost anything on an optical disc will have a file system, anything that uses a cartridge that is the GBA or older will however be said big file.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Amiga says hi.

I mean, it says *weird disk drive grinding noises*, but the sentiment is there.
The Amiga had a wonderful voice synthesiser.

Though I will say as well as introducing me to trainers and intros then a few years later wanting to rip the discs but Windows says do you want to format this disc, and then wanting to peer into ADF files that were as annoying to get as any other 16 bit era ROM on dial up... it played no small role in setting me down this path.

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, then whats qbits?