Hacking Gateway???

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if there is a release, is it really worth the wait? During the delays we've seen; B9S release, B9S update, Luma3DS has added Rosalina, CFWs/payloads can be installed on the FIRM0/1, NTRBoot has been released, and two carts have been announced to come preinstalled with NTRBoot (one actually being released, while Gateway delays the other to death.)
During that time we've heard about 3 different announcements through the secondhand sources that Gateway was going to update. Each time they missed the deadline and you guys continued to wait.
How long are you people willing to put up with this kind of shit? This team isn't even brave enough to say something directly, they trickle it through emails and to secondhand sources. They weren't even ballsy enough to announce their second cart is being made by them nor even mention that it's been delayed. How much abuse are you people seriously going to go through before you stop supporting them?

This right here makes it completely pointless to own. For a lot cheaper you can actually buy a large microSD card and R4i Gold to accomplish the same results.
You're missing the point. You don't HAVE TO wait. I already have a GW. I already have the latest of EVERYTHING that I use (I build from git almost daily). Doesn't change the fact that I still keep an emunand for using GW, and I'm looking forward to the update. And while I wait, I can do everything anybody else can do, GW or not.

Reactions: Arck and mikefor20

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How are they suffering, its always stated its limited to 9.2 and as with any EMUNAND you run the risk of being banned..... recall the not so long ago emunand update for CFW users getting banned. Solved by free CFW devs and honestly not worth bring up anymore as there were no other options at that time.

Gateway still does what its supposed to do, it never promotes itself as a means to play roms and have full online access..... this is and always has been at the users discretion. Expect they did promise update, multiple times. That's not the real issue here, getting online isn't the issue. Gateway users can make some frankenfirmware to get online, but it's the fact that they have to make a frankenfirmware due to the lack of updates that is the issue here.

So they havent updated emunand for quite some time, but does that mean you cant play roms anymore.... NO. Expect for the ones that requires a newer NATIVE_FIRM

so tell me the real reason your bitching, because you demand to not only download roms, but you also demand online access too? You are acting like I am a Gateway user, to which I am not. I didn't invest money into a product that I knew I accomplish the same results with a free/open source project. My issue here has been explained countless times, but I can explain it again if you need. Gateway users are being treated like crap by a team that won't even update them on even the smallest amount of progress. They are bound by a closed-source product that basically hinders them when the team doesn't update. This has resulted in our forums always having to attempt to help these users, but struggling to do so because of their out of date setup. This issue is an easily fixable issue, but of course Gateway users want to continue to cling to whatever little functionality they can out of this cart, which only means they end up losing any help they could get. It's a cycle where they want help and we can't help them, because they won't let us help them. This has only caused Gateway users to lag behind while the rest of the community moves past them.
heres a solution for you, BUY your GAMES. I actually do buy my games, I hack my systems for a lot more than just piracy.

yes there are free CFWs out there, but they dont provide the features Gateway does, you have to feck about copying a CIA and then INSTALLING then removing the CIA file.

OR

drag/drop .3ds file and boot.

ok so you cant play online, but who cares your able to play games for free. This still a lot more than just playing games online. Although drag n' drop ROM support would be nice, it's not worth keeping such a problematic setup to use. Even if I had a gateway, I would have retired it after A9LH came out.
You're missing the point. You don't HAVE TO wait. I already have a GW. I already have the latest of EVERYTHING that I use (I build from git almost daily). Doesn't change the fact that I still keep an emunand for using GW, and I'm looking forward to the update. And while I wait, I can do everything anybody else can do, GW or not.
You don't have to wait, expect for waiting for official updates from the Gateway team. I understand that you can still do a lot involving cart, but more so working around it then with it. You have to workaround the limited updates, which either means keeping an outdated setup or using an obtuse method of booting into the cart. These kind of situations have become isolated cases that simply don't effect anyone other than Gateway users.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Gray_Jack

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't have a Vita so I don't know but is there an option for them to update fully while keeping their CFW? If not then that comparison is moot as Gateway can be tossed in favor of a fully updateable and unpatchable exploit. People that stay outdated on a 3DS don't have to, they choose to and then complain about being limited. That's the problem; everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.

No : you can not update a VITA to highest firmware and keeping CFW. Only 3.60 has CFW. Spoofing did work (don't know if still) for going online to psn but bans exists, you can not play games which need 3.61 or higher (which count for nearly all games published in 2017)... so some comparison with Gateway.... again I don't see Vita owners moan about that.

Gateway still plays latest 3ds roms although online is compromised. (with a lot of moaning of the users)

The older methods of 3ds hacking needed stupid down and upgrades and a lot of posts, questions and bricks in the 3ds forum
but I must admit that since the ntrboot installing CFW is a piece of cake and almost risc-free..... all good things come to those who wait :-)

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just an EXPLOIT. Not a CFW. You can't over generalize everything to make yourself right. The exploit is a means to run the hardware. Just a door. Not much else. The GW does the rest. It's 2 different worlds. Installing CFW's rely on exploits as well. But those exploits install the CFW not trigger the HW in the Game Slot. Just stop it. Mabe its your bad english
No, the exploit is GW Fastboot, MSET, or Spider. The GW Launcher is a CFW that the exploit runs. An exploit on it's own doesn't do anything. You have to give it something to execute. Just as Menuhax, A9LH, and B9S are exploits. They still have to run something else. They don't do anything on their own.

Reactions: Arck

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's just an EXPLOIT. Not a CFW. You can't over generalize everything to make yourself right. The exploit is a means to run the hardware. Just a door. Not much else. The GW does the rest. It's 2 different worlds. Installing CFW's rely on exploits as well. But those exploits install the CFW not trigger the HW in the Game Slot. Just stop it. Mabe its your bad english
And that's where you're wrong. In several points, actually:
  • "Running the hardware" simply isn't a thing. The GW card does almost nothing, and has no software written into it except for a small driver. It's the launcher.dat that has all the required patches, in the exact same way boot.firm does for Luma 3DS. The cart itself serves as little more than a Micro SD reader. The exploit is not a means to run the hardware. It's a means to run launcher.dat (GW) or boot.firm (Luma), which apply their (different) patches to the unmodified official firmware in the 3DS. Yes, that means other CFWs install nothing at all. Take Luma, for example, the one we both use. There's nothing permanently installed into the console, except for the B9S or A9LH exploits, which both of us also use for Gateway.
  • Insulting our English (assuming it's directed at me, @Arck, etc) is just hilarious. Apart from the fact that it doesn't magically mean you're right about the rest, I believe anyone here can see that my English is leagues above yours, despite the fact that your flag indicates that you're supposed to be a native speaker, while I'm not. And @Arck, whose flag is Japanese, actually speaks with proper grammar, despite some small mistakes, while your messages are riddled with spelling mistakes, improper use of apostrophes ('), and bad grammar. Oh, and flaming. I get it that you think you're right, but yelling at us won't convince us of that. I'm trying to explain, in simple terms, why Luma and Gateway's software (again, not the card) function in the same way. If you see a problem with my explanation, point it out without being rude, and I'll try to clarify. I'll concede you're right if you actually add new information which contradicts ours. Not because you yell the loudest.

Jay L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Gateway was a nice solution for a little while and even if there weren't cfw options the simplicity of a flashcard is appealing to a group of users that would never feel comfortable installing b9s or cfw.
After awhile using gateway took just as much work as installing b9s so it kinda defeats the purpose.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW is not a CFW. Your sig says bad English. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and blaming your poor comprehension on your own statement. You said out first. I guess it's an intelligence issue. My grammar is admittedly lazy. Like Americans i suppose. It's been over 20 years since i really cared. I'm on my phone anyway. Dismal display. Is that a period or a coma?? Idk. I don't care. Grammar is ever evolving anyway. Who the Fuck are you. Confusing the iissue. I read and comprehend. I've been modding a long time. Since the eighties. And i have a grasp on the language. You seem lacking in that arena. CFWs are not dependant on external hardware. Did the R4 run on cfw? No. WiiKey? Any flashcard ever? No. That's part of the definition. They are flash device and modchips. There is a word for it. Otherwis the meaning is blurred, neither term has meaning and communicaton breaks down. You don't seem to understand. I cut you slack because your own signature says bad english. I think the problem is cognitive.

Last edited by mikefor20,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GW is not a CFW. Your sig says bad English. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and blaming your poor comprehension on your own statement. You said out first. I guess it's an intelligence issue. My grammar is admittedly lazy. Like Americans i suppose. It's been over 20 years since i really cared. I'm on my phone anyway. Dismal display. Is that a period or a coma?? Idk. I don't care. Grammar is ever evolving anyway. Who the Fuck are you. Confusing the iissue. I read and comprehend. I've been modding a long time. Since the eighties. And i have a grasp on the language. You seem lacking in that arena. CFWs are not dependant on external hardware. Did the R4 run on cfw? No. WiiKey? Any flashcard ever? No. That's part of the definition. They are flash device and modchips. There is a word for it. Otherwis the meaning is blurred, neither term has meaning and communicaton breaks down. You don't seem to understand. I cut you slack because your own signature says bad english. I think the problem is cognitive.
Actually custom firmware just means firmware that has been modified. There's no limit on where it boots from. YOU'RE adding that requirement. Which BTW, all CFW on the 3DS boots from a sepreate file and doesn't touch the OFW. Just because you insult and talk down to other people doesn't mean you're correct.

EDIT: BTW, learn how to use the reply button so people know who you're talking to.

Last edited by Pickle_Rick,
Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My signature? I never even had one. You must be confusing me with another poster.
All right, we seem to be closing in on the issue here: Gateway doesn't run like other flashcards, like the R4 you suggested as an example. It doesn't have an internal kernel that you boot like you did on the R4 and similar cards. Regarding the hardware dependency - it's artificial. In fact, earlier versions of the Gateway launcher (I agree that it shouldn't be called CFW, but then neither should Luma), did not need the card at all to boot. Just to run the roms themselves. The launcher (just like Luma's boot.firm) isn't hardware-dependent at all. Current versions refuse to boot without it solely as a means of clone-checking (and bricking). And again, please refrain from insulting someone who is actually trying to have a sensible exchange with you.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

zebrone

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can still use your GW card. You just have to format an EmuNAND (if you don't already have one) and downgrade it to 11.2. Just use use the latest 3DNUS to grab 11.2 (make sure you type in "11.2.0-35E" for the EUR version -- I'm guessing that's the one you would need based on the flag below your avatar), and use SysUpdater to downgrade. Gateway itself runs just fine from B9S. You can try to set it up the hard way, or if you can find my InScripted AIO on a certain iso site (CFW Discussion section), just copy the included B9S configuration that matches your hardware over and Gateway will be on the "B" hotkey. Though you might want to wait for R6. I'm just finishing up typing the update info and then I'll be uploading it.

EDIT: There's also a list of titles you can update here to get online functionality working.
I've n3dsxl with fw 9.0.20E. I use gateway payload with luma. How can i update to fw 11.2E without loosing the use of GWpayload?
PS: I dont have any EMUNAND!!

Last edited by zebrone,

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My signature? I never even had one. You must be confusing me with another poster.
All right, we seem to be closing in on the issue here: Gateway doesn't run like other flashcards, like the R4 you suggested as an example. It doesn't have an internal kernel that you boot like you did on the R4 and similar cards. Regarding the hardware dependency - it's artificial. In fact, earlier versions of the Gateway launcher (I agree that it shouldn't be called CFW, but then neither should Luma), did not need the card at all to boot. Just to run the roms themselves. The launcher (just like Luma's boot.firm) isn't hardware-dependent at all. Current versions refuse to boot without it solely as a means of clone-checking (and bricking). And again, please refrain from insulting someone who is actually trying to have a sensible exchange with you.
I agree except the CFW part. All that's required to be called a custom firmware is to run a modified firmware. If it's done by patching the code on boot, booting from a different source that's modified, or installing directly to the NAND... It doesn't matter.

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to wait, expect for waiting for official updates from the Gateway team. I understand that you can still do a lot involving cart, but more so working around it then with it. You have to workaround the limited updates, which either means keeping an outdated setup or using an obtuse method of booting into the cart. These kind of situations have become isolated cases that simply don't effect anyone other than Gateway users.
It's video game console homebrew, not your identity. Not a thread goes by that mentions Gateway that you're not omnipresent in your devotion. There are certainly plenty of reasons that some folks would be just as well served solely using Luma. However, you've got to stop this obsession with crusading against those others who've demonstrated very clear use cases for running Gateway.

Reactions: nccom and mikefor20

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's video game console homebrew, not your identity. Not a thread goes by that mentions Gateway that you're not omnipresent in your devotion. There are certainly plenty of reasons that some folks would be just as well served solely using Luma. However, you've got to stop this obsession with crusading against those others who've demonstrated very clear use cases for running Gateway.
You really don’t have to stalk me as I attempt to move this community away from an out of date and problemic system. We are literally talking the most likely 50th thread since April asking about Gateway. I feel like the problem isn’t people trying to get others away from gateway, it’s those who are still clinging to a dead cart instead of moving on.

Reactions: Tomy Sakazaki

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really don’t have to stalk me as I attempt to move this community away from an out of date and problemic system. We are literally talking the most likely 50th thread since April asking about Gateway. I feel like the problem isn’t people trying to get others away from gateway, it’s those who are still clinging to a dead cart instead of moving on.
I'm not the one doing any "stalking" here, which carries some delicious irony considering the context of my original statement. NO ONE is under ANY obligation to "move on" if the tool of their choice meets their needs and they're aware of the limitations. I'm really boggled as to why you are constantly hung up on this fact. There's a reason I only reply to you when you start spazzing about Gateway in the face of realistic use cases, as opposed to other threads where you're offering generally good advice for those that may not fit such a use case. Again, this is software for a children's video game console, not your religion or your personal identity. Someone willingly accepts the risks, shrug, say "Cool, sounds good, good luck, happy gaming!" and move the fuck on.

Edit: Removed something that was a bit out of line, even for the rest of the snark in my post.

Last edited by mrjoshuaco,

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
No : you can not update a VITA to highest firmware and keeping CFW. Only 3.60 has CFW. Spoofing did work (don't know if still) for going online to psn but bans exists, you can not play games which need 3.61 or higher (which count for nearly all games published in 2017)... so some comparison with Gateway.... again I don't see Vita owners moan about that.

You know... there are differences between both on them...

TaiHenkaku are open-source, that means that if someone find a way to exploit the Vita on higher firmware version, it can be easily ported, DOES NOT REQUIRE additional hardware to work, it's free to use and modify. The only thing that is closed source is the Enso, but that's cause the vuln that it uses is still unpatched, the security of the vita is better than the 3DS and we, community, don't have to luxury to lose this one and easily find another one.

Gateway CFW on the other hand, are entirely closed-source, making very hard (to almost impossible without the source code) to port it to newer firmwares revisions, requires a VERY SPECIFIC hardware to actually work that doesn't worth the price that you pay for one, and, as a company, their support for it is a joke, taking a year to always be 10 feet behind to open-source programs made as a hobby for their developers.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not the one doing any "stalking" here, which carries some delicious irony considering the context of my original statement. NO ONE is under ANY obligation to "move on" if the tool of their choice meets their needs and they're aware of the limitations. I'm really boggled as to why you are constantly hung up on this fact. There's a reason I only reply to you when you start spazzing about Gateway in the face of realistic use cases, as opposed to other threads where you're offering generally good advice for those that may not fit such a use case. Again, this is software for a children's video game console, not your religion or your personal identity. Someone willingly accepts the risks, shrug, say "Cool, sounds good, good luck, happy gaming!" and move the fuck on.

Edit: Removed something that was a bit out of line, even for the rest of the snark in my post.
You know, I've actually been far nicer than I should be. Truth be told, you haven't helped the OP nor any other OP for that matter, in fact none of the "pro-Gateway" arguments have ever helped people in this situation.
You all like to argue, "Well it works for me," that's perfectly fine that it works for you. GM9 setup as my FIRM0 and Mizuki as my CFW works fine for me, but I won't suggest it over B9S+Luma3DS. But working fine for you doesn't help the OP nor the countless other threads like this. People are making these threads because something isn't working for them and thus they turned to us to fix that problem. The issue always being, the solution is stop using Gateway and saying that always ends up in the same arguments, but never actually helping the OP. To which we simply can't help them anymore, beyond either suggesting they make a frankenfirm or stop using the cart. Those are their only two solutions left at this point and makes far more sense to just using what is causing the problem for the OP. Just because it works for a few, doesn't help the people it's no longer working for. Offering a solution that does actually help is the only thing we can do, but that also means the most helpful thing isn't something they are going to like hearing.
Stating my dogmatic nature against Gateway doesn't make me wrong, if anything that's more an ad hominem. I am very much against this cart's continue support, but I also stay to the facts and pose questions to why people really keep supporting this team. They have made 4 promises and failed to meet all of them, they even failed to meet the ETA for their new cart. It boggles my mind that there are still groups of people who see this and continue to argue against me. This isn't about "knowing limitations," the team hasn't giving a solid update in over 8 months, while only communicating with us through 3rd parties. The most solid update we got from them, was that there was going to be an update on August 10th, 2017, which came and went without an update.
Now I could easily shrug this off and in fact I have actually shrug it off before. But this case, none of you have actually helped the OP. Me suggesting Gateway users move to something else has boiled down to the most helpful suggest a Gateway user can get at this point. Tell me, "It works fine for me," while ignoring the fact that it doesn't work fine for the OP, doesn't help them. That's something I can't simply shrug off.
The other arguments of, "It's just a kid's system" or simply telling me to leave aren't helpful either. In fact that's just dismissing the issue as whole, which is the worst way to handle an issue.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Gray_Jack

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually custom firmware just means firmware that has been modified. There's no limit on where it boots from. YOU'RE adding that requirement. Which BTW, all CFW on the 3DS boots from a sepreate file and doesn't touch the OFW. Just because you insult and talk down to other people doesn't mean you're correct.

EDIT: BTW, learn how to use the reply button so people know who you're talking to.

TickleDick, I added no requirement. Flashcarts are not a CFW. Neither are mod chips. CFW means custom firmware. Very good. It's a broad term. Coined long ago for a scene long passed away. In the current scene, the CFWs in question, as you already know, are the prior mentioned CFWs, Luma Rei etc etc, all require entry points, A9LH,B9S, Menuhax etc. etc. All these entry points and CFW are very different except for one thing, NONE OF THEM REQUIRE A FLASH CART! I'll stop talking down to people when don't bullshit me and try to tell people what to do. Who the hell are you to come at me all sideways? I agree GW is outdated but it has its place and unique features.. *snip*

Lillith, you may mean well but you need to preach somewhere else. We don't need a guardian. We don't need a shepherd. "as I attempt to move this community away from an out of date and problemic system" That says it in a nutshell. I have done this a long time too and I don't much care for the same newbie threads most of the time. But If you don't like these threads don't respond to them. *snip*

You know... there are differences between both on them..

TaiHenkaku are open-source, that means that if someone find a way to exploit the Vita on higher firmware version, it can be easily ported, DOES NOT REQUIRE additional hardware to work, it's free to use and modify. The only thing that is closed source is the Enso, but that's cause the vuln that it uses is still unpatched, the security of the vita is better than the 3DS and we, community, don't have to luxury to lose this one and easily find another one.

Gateway CFW on the other hand, are entirely closed-source, making very hard (to almost impossible without the source code) to port it to newer firmwares revisions, requires a VERY SPECIFIC hardware to actually work that doesn't worth the price that you pay for one, and, as a company, their support for it is a joke, taking a year to always be 10 feet behind to open-source programs made as a hobby for their developers.

So What? That's nice GW was a business. And FIRST to hack the system. So they protect their code. So what? It will stop someone from stealing their code. They don't have to contribute. They don't want to. Shitty, shady and crooked but once again, they are pirates. So are you. And so what if they pirate and sell some code some pirate wrote to circumvent a system put in place to make money? So what if they bricked people. I am not saying to buy one now. Like I said, look man, you knew they were snakes. So what if GW made some money? Boo Hoo. Jealous? As an only option GW is garbage. But is was awesome on 4.5 while the rest of you cried. I do urge all GW users to go B9S and use GW on the side but they are all big kids now and can make decisions on their own. Besides, trying to use that thing you bought a while back is a valid endeavor. Plus it's fun looking for cheats. We know the risks. We know and don't care. What we don't know is what's it to you? I'm not throwing out my VHS tapes either. *snip*
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You know, I've actually been far nicer than I should be. Truth be told, you haven't helped the OP nor any other OP for that matter, in fact none of the "pro-Gateway" arguments have ever helped people in this situation.
You all like to argue, "Well it works for me," that's perfectly fine that it works for you. GM9 setup as my FIRM0 and Mizuki as my CFW works fine for me, but I won't suggest it over B9S+Luma3DS. But working fine for you doesn't help the OP nor the countless other threads like this. People are making these threads because something isn't working for them and thus they turned to us to fix that problem. The issue always being, the solution is stop using Gateway and saying that always ends up in the same arguments, but never actually helping the OP. To which we simply can't help them anymore, beyond either suggesting they make a frankenfirm or stop using the cart. Those are their only two solutions left at this point and makes far more sense to just using what is causing the problem for the OP. Just because it works for a few, doesn't help the people it's no longer working for. Offering a solution that does actually help is the only thing we can do, but that also means the most helpful thing isn't something they are going to like hearing.
Stating my dogmatic nature against Gateway doesn't make me wrong, if anything that's more an ad hominem. I am very much against this cart's continue support, but I also stay to the facts and pose questions to why people really keep supporting this team. They have made 4 promises and failed to meet all of them, they even failed to meet the ETA for their new cart. It boggles my mind that there are still groups of people who see this and continue to argue against me. This isn't about "knowing limitations," the team hasn't giving a solid update in over 8 months, while only communicating with us through 3rd parties. The most solid update we got from them, was that there was going to be an update on August 10th, 2017, which came and went without an update.
Now I could easily shrug this off and in fact I have actually shrug it off before. But this case, none of you have actually helped the OP. Me suggesting Gateway users move to something else has boiled down to the most helpful suggest a Gateway user can get at this point. Tell me, "It works fine for me," while ignoring the fact that it doesn't work fine for the OP, doesn't help them. That's something I can't simply shrug off.
The other arguments of, "It's just a kid's system" or simply telling me to leave aren't helpful either. In fact that's just dismissing the issue as whole, which is the worst way to handle an issue.

Joan of the arcade, calm down. You are not in control of us. If you don't like it go to another thread. Please. We aren't arguing against you. You invited yourself to this party. And we just don't care. Sorry.

Last edited by MelodieOctavia, , Reason: Keep the insults and snark to a minimum, please.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny