Hacking Gateway will fix any bricked 3DS for free, as long as you're not lying!

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spinner09 . Think this way .

Someone buys a Microsoft XBox360. Puts a sticker over the 'xbox' logo that says 'Freds console' . Then distribute Fred Console to Online Shopping Market selling it for a lower price nexto the original Microsoft Xbox . This is what happening with 'Clone flashcarts of Gateway' . They've stolen all hardware/software from Gateway and put in other .jpgs pictures with name as r4is and 3dslink .

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why fucking shouldn't they tell people how to unbrick their consoles? If their malicious code caused the bricks, then they at least let everyone know (legit and closer alike) how to unbrick it if, if some sort of method exists.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that clone users are some sort of criminals that don't deserve any help, which is complete BS. This has become a grave issue that the entire 3ds scene is talking about, and each day that Gateway does nothing to remedy it is lowering their reputation more and more.

And I still don't believe that the GW team will dig into their own cash just to replace consoles that they can't fix, that's why they made an update asking for NAND backups.

The clone users aren't criminals but they were all warned before buying them, by most users on this forum(when the clones were first announced) and by Gateway aswell, yet they risked it anyway. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with a brain knows that there's a chance that your console can be bricked using any piracy product, even more so when it's a cheap shoddily-made knockoff of one.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just evolution . or the opposite.

Look at Wii, PS3, XBox - the only thing required is a firmware version . Every App and Homebrew is for free .

For some unknown reasons DS and 3DS (handheld devices) requires special 'cards' for homebrew to work . I bet there is ways to get all homebrew files to an empty DS-card by file transfering the would only cost as much as the empty DS-card . But for economical reasons the Homebrew DS-scene sells their own DS-card to customers and really.. why complain? It works and its sorta cheap .

NOW WHY U THINK GATEWAY COST MORE THEN R4I or 3DS LINK ? Cause they do jackass.. they steal Gateway CARD(S), put on their logo and re-sell them. Forcing Gateway to change their prices.. Now... well, yeah.. that actually makes Gateway unable to have Monopoly - and sell their Cards as high they want, cause there is optional distributers of these flash cards .

Idk - we see what the future brings.

spinner09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The clone users aren't criminals but they were all warned before buying them, by most users on this forum(when the clones were first announced) and by Gateway aswell, yet they risked it anyway. As far as I'm concerned, anyone with a brain knows that there's a chance that your console can be bricked using any piracy product, even more so when it's a cheap shoddily-made knockoff of one.

Firstly, all flashcarts are "cheap shoddily-made" crap from China. I remember reading reports of Gateway cards with damaged pins, got stuck in the DS card slot, and other problems. Issues like this happen to all flashcarts.
Secondly, there were ZERO clone bricks until 2.02b. Until Gateway put their malicious code into the launcher, none of the clones had any issues. They were perfect 1 to 1 copies of gateway, with all it's features. This probably angered the GW team, who were hoping the clones would be less reliable (when they weren't).
Thirdly, you seem to be under the assumption that everyone who bought a clone knew it was a clone before buying it, which is absurd. A lot of innocent users out there who bought them from a store, got one used, we're given one as a gift, etc and may not know the history of the device. A lot of innocent users might have been struck down by this malicious code, why should they suffer? They don't deserve this.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, actually this is damaging the entire Homebrew community. Before this announcement of 'brick 3ds' homebrew in general was considered safe and an alternative way. The problem is the damage this does to Families . Think of this kid, who recently got a 3ds in christmas or birthday .. and after afew months thinking.. well my friend used flash cards maybe i should.. buying, installing and 5 days later. his 3ds is bricked, useless. This Console cost ALOT for a Teenager, he might miss out on wonderful moments now.. playing online with his friends.. experiencing new Nintendo games as Super Mario, Zelda, Roll Playing Games, ect .

I Softmodded my Wii cause I know that its easy and only errors made by users cause it to malfunction . I also bought Two (for me and sis) and If they would've bricked and I knew someone in the modding scene caused this intentionally, I be so angry at them .

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Look at Wii, PS3, XBox - the only thing required is a firmware version . Every App and Homebrew is for free .

For some unknown reasons DS and 3DS (handheld devices) requires special 'cards' for homebrew to work . I bet there is ways to get all homebrew files to an empty DS-card by file transfering the would only cost as much as the empty DS-card . But for economical reasons the Homebrew DS-scene sells their own DS-card to customers and really.. why complain? It works and its sorta cheap .

NOW WHY U THINK GATEWAY COST MORE THEN R4I or 3DS LINK ? Cause they do jackass.. they steal Gateway CARD(S), put on their logo and re-sell them. Forcing Gateway to change their prices.. Now... well, yeah.. that actually makes Gateway unable to have Monopoly - and sell their Cards as high they want, cause there is optional distributers of these flash cards .

think your getting yourself mixed up there, don't you mean why are 3ds link / R4I so cheap?.........................sudeki300

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think your getting yourself mixed up there, don't you mean why are 3ds link / R4I so cheap?.........................sudeki300
Really? God... go proof-read a book and not a comment mr Sudeki300

Edit: My point was that Im wondering how Prices would change if Gateway had monopoly as the Only 3DS flashcarts retailer

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their policy is actually pretty fair. Not better than any other policy when you buy a product online. Conducting a research cost time. Time = money in the business world.
If you think your mobile phone is broken because a factory fault. Than it will repaired for free if you sent it to your vendor and if it is not a factory fault, you have to pay for the investigation cost, which is around 50 to 100 dollar

Um no, not usually. Usually if they determine that the product is not covered under their warranty, they send it back to you unrepaired. They might request you cover $20-30 for the shipping but will usually waive the fee if you complain enough.

And if you are unsatisfied, you can sue that company in small claims court and allow an impartial judge to determine whether they acted legally and appropriately.

On the other hand, you can send your 3DS off to some anonymous hacker group in some third world country with no customer services support number and no legal recourse if they decide to hold your 3DS hostage in order to extort money out of you.

libraryaddict115

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, actually this is damaging the entire Homebrew community. Before this announcement of 'brick 3ds' homebrew in general was considered safe and an alternative way. The problem is the damage this does to Families . Think of this kid, who recently got a 3ds in christmas or birthday .. and after afew months thinking.. well my friend used flash cards maybe i should.. buying, installing and 5 days later. his 3ds is bricked, useless. This Console cost ALOT for a Teenager, he might miss out on wonderful moments now.. playing online with his friends.. experiencing new Nintendo games as Super Mario, Zelda, Roll Playing Games, ect .

I Softmodded my Wii cause I know that its easy and only errors made by users cause it to malfunction . I also bought Two (for me and sis) and If they would've bricked and I knew someone in the modding scene caused this intentionally, I be so angry at them .
If it cost a lot for the teenager, then he should not have purchased dodgy hardware from a hacker group in a attempt to steal games from Nintendo.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know many people who didn't even modded their wii due to the fact there was always a risk to brick the console.
So now the word is spreading that 3ds flashcards are bricking the console. If it's only gateway clones or gateway cards and clones with a region patched launcher.dat doesn't make much difference. People will stay away from those devices. I don't expect people with clone cards to purchase a gateway after what happened either.
A monopoly situation is never healthy as it means one company can decide what price to ask for something. If a second player arrives on the market, they either have to prove their product is worth it's higher price due to a better quality or they have to adjust their price to something more reasonable.
Assume the first car builder would have patented the fact a car has 4 wheels. Would that mean every other brand of cars needed less or more wheels to be unique? Would every car need a different kind of fuel as well? And obvious, the steering wheel would be patented as well.
What if someone patented the for next programming loop? Would we steal his work every time we used such a loop in our programs?
Did gateway find the exploit that is used to make the card run or are they also using (stealing for some) other peoples work?

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish people would stop stating their opinion as fact. Nobody knows jack sh*t but Gateway. neimod, yellow, normatt, clones. They don't know. All they can do is speculate. Sh*t happens. Gateway is trying to rectify the problem for legit users. Nothing is ever gauranteed.
They're not. They rectify (fix) the problem for people with Gateway cards. The others - who was actually target by this Launcher 'kill 'code' update . Has their consoles killed and then recieved a statement from Gateway with the message 'If you buy other cards, you console will die' . Sorta..

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish people would stop stating their opinion as fact. Nobody knows jack sh*t but Gateway. neimod, yellow, normatt, clones. They don't know. All they can do is speculate. Sh*t happens. Gateway is trying to rectify the problem for legit users. Nothing is ever gauranteed.

Are you claiming that nobody can run Gateway's code through a dissasembler and try to analyze what it is intended to do?

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it cost a lot for the teenager, then he should not have purchased dodgy hardware from a hacker group in a attempt to steal games from Nintendo.
I know many people who didn't even modded their wii due to the fact there was always a risk to brick the console.
So now the word is spreading that 3ds flashcards are bricking the console. If it's only gateway clones or gateway cards and clones with a region patched launcher.dat doesn't make much difference. People will stay away from those devices. I don't expect people with clone cards to purchase a gateway after what happened either.
A monopoly situation is never healthy as it means one company can decide what price to ask for something. If a second player arrives on the market, they either have to prove their product is worth it's higher price due to a better quality or they have to adjust their price to something more reasonable.
Assume the first car builder would have patented the fact a car has 4 wheels. Would that mean every other brand of cars needed less or more wheels to be unique? Would every car need a different kind of fuel as well? And obvious, the steering wheel would be patented as well.
What if someone patented the for next programming loop? Would we steal his work every time we used such a loop in our programs?
Did gateway find the exploit that is used to make the card run or are they also using (stealing for some) other peoples work?
I guess you're right. The damage is done. Hope the rumours doesn't spread to other homebrew consoles.

Edit: That the big issue. Its Inventors\devs in a shaddy business where noone owns anything. In other then handheld consoles homebrew doesn't cost a thing. It's free. .. i could probably analyse a Wii USB Loader as USB Loader GX and insert my own pictures, and publish it as my own to the world. But the world wouldn't care.. But in handheld , its money money money.. So steal , then sell cheap .. seems to be the market slogan for r4i and 3ds link. But not anymore. Now the Big Daddy puts his feet down, and pulls back her little daughter. And anyone who touches her without permission gets knocked ... *hard*

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really? God... go proof-read a book and not a comment mr Sudeki300

fine, only trying to help out. Gateway did have a monopoly on the 3ds flashcard market before clones came out. thats why the price was set at what it was as there was no alternative, if they got the monopoly back the price would not change because that is how they started.............................sudeki300

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, it would be pretty hard to hack the DS without some sort of Cart device or hard mod since you don't have anything like an SD card or usable internal storage. Its kinda the same with the 3DS in the fact that its really easy to hack if you have a DS mode Flashcart (to install payload for MSET), but what is wrong is that you don't need a 3DS mode flashcart to hack your 3DS and people are just buying flashcarts since its something they know/ first thing around to make hacking your 3DS easy (even though all it really did was pirate games when it came out, no emunand, etc)/ no one is going to wait when they can get something now (or at least most people on this forum).

You can hack your 3DS without a DS mode flashcart, you just need a way to edit and input saves on a legit game Cart (like Smealum). This would work fr DS too, but editing saves yet again requires some sort of hardware interface unlike the wii.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why fucking shouldn't they tell people how to unbrick their consoles? If their malicious code caused the bricks, then they at least let everyone know (legit and cloner alike) how to unbrick it if, if some sort of method exists.

You seem to be operating on the assumption that clone users are some sort of criminals that don't deserve any help, which is complete BS. This has become a grave issue that the entire 3ds scene is talking about, and each day that Gateway does nothing to remedy it is lowering their reputation more and more.

And I still don't believe that the GW team will dig into their own cash just to replace consoles that they can't fix, that's why they made an update asking for NAND backups.

Actually, I think 99% of all the 3DS flashcart users are probably criminals. I am sure some people do use these cards for region unlocking or playing legit backups, but without any homebrew available on the Gateway, I think pretty close to 100% of their business is from piracy.

Given that fact, if they were operating out of the United States or some other country with a civilized court system, they would have had their assets seized by Nintendo.

Now, does that excuse what Gateway has done? No. But let us not pretend that the overwhelming majority of all these flashcart users are not pirates.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, it would be pretty hard to hack the DS without some sort of Cart device or hard mod since you don't have anything like an SD card or usable internal storage. Its kinda the same with the 3DS in the fact that its really easy to hack if you have a DS mode Flashcart (to install payload for MSET), but what is wrong is that you don't need a 3DS mode flashcart to hack your 3DS and people are just buying flashcarts since its something they know/ first thing around to make hacking your 3DS easy (even though all it really did was pirate games when it came out, no emunand, etc)/ no one is going to wait when they can get something now (or at least most people on this forum).

You can hack your 3DS without a DS mode flashcart, you just need a way to edit and input saves on a legit game Cart (like Smealum). This would work fr DS too, but editing saves yet again requires some sort of hardware interface unlike the wii.
Not even that. Using the DS MSET exploit it's perfectly feasible to achieve everything Gateway does, will do and might do without any hardware involvement whatsoever (except for the initial development of the hack, of course). But piracy companies can't really profit off a CFW that will just get pirated (heh).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU