Hacking Gateway v2.0 Part 2: NAND Emulation

m2300

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
oh man i just bought my first 3dsXL yesterday and started reading about the hacks and ROMs compatibility i didn't think there was a flashcart available so i was happy but then i read it only works on firmware >4.5 i was disappointed because i didn't think my 3ds that i just bought would have a 4.5> firmware but guess what it had 4.4 and i bought it from an official reseller and just when i thought things couldn't get any better i found out that Gateaway has an official reseller in my city and it is only 5min away by car from my house XD

however on this subject i think they are doing great work :yaynds: .

sorry if my English is bad :|

youra6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All that needs to happen now is for someone to tell me the cheapest (and trustworthy) place to get a Gateway.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn straight, ive played every pokemon to date (beside x and y), and ive never touched any online features.
since when is online such a big sell for pokemon?

Since gen 4, its gotten bigger and bigger. Now in Gen 6, its actually a huge part of the game. If you get a chance, use the online features in X or Y, its a ton of fun :)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn straight, ive played every pokemon to date (beside x and y), and ive never touched any online features.

Since gen 4, its gotten bigger and bigger. Now in Gen 6, its actually a huge part of the game. If you get a chance, use the online features in X or Y, its a ton of fun :)

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok cause when i got mine a month ago they where the cheapest on market

that is more than likely true. when I ordered mine a couple weeks ago I didn't notice anything spectactular about rhs. so I guess they lowered their price more recently. sucks for me tho I could have used my fav credit card and saved 5 or 6 bucks too.

tsuna

GBAtemp Official "No Good Tsuna"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does this mean for me?
I have a 3.0 3DS
Pokemon X that's being shipped to me now.

Does that mean I can update my 3ds to 4.5.
Use gateway to play backups
And then use the emu nand to play Pokemon on 6.3 with full online support?

-Dazed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strongly considering a gateway now, just want to learn a bit more about how their nand stuff works since the wording from their page is a bit hard for me to understand. So I can backup my 4.5 NAND (can I save a backup to PC?), and access eshop through however it works. But info needed to play eshop games are saved on nand, right? So could I backup this other nand to keep my eshop games safe? Sorry for the dumb qs, but it's p much the only thing I'm wondering at the moment. If pkmn x/y carts end up a no-go & eshop download works, I'll prolly resell my cart and switch over.

Are places like Craigslist and eBay safe in the fact you won't get screwed over?

I got my mint pink 3ds and many other things from ebay just fine. I stick with sellers that have high rep (over 98%-ish) and generally prefer sellers that already sold more of w/e product I'm looking at. I don't use craigslist, but my little brother does and for that site you basically want to deal locally.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ok what I can gather from this is that this is how this would work for the end user:

1. Go to DS profile to activate Gateway mode.

2. Backup NAND. Gateway then essentially creates a virtual drive of sorts and fools the console into booting it.

3. Once booted from "emulated NAND" you can update to 6.3. The update just gets installed into the emulated NAND instead of real NAND. I assume that when/if they figure out an exploit for a newer update, they will then provide a method of installing the emulated NAND in to the real one. But for now they won't provide that feature since obvoisely doing so would prevent you from ever using Gateway again.

4. I have to assume that once you have your emulated NAND updated to 6.3, you CAN NOT boot roms while running from emulated NAND since it has 6.3 which is not exploited yet. Since (currently) the emulated NAND is running a legit firmware (as evidence by the fact that eShop works), any game booted from emulated NAND WILL have online support. Whether or not online support will work when running on real NAND is the question.

5. To play roms again you reboot 3DS to get it to boot real NAND again which was still at 4.5. Then repeat Gateway exploit and this time go to run a rom instead.

6. To return to emulated NAND you just reboot and repeat Gateway exploit and just tell it to boot emulated NAND and then your back to 6.3 where you can (currently) only run legit copies of games.

I think at this point the "spoofing"code is simply updated to redirect the game's firmware check requests to the emulated NAND. But you DO NOT boot that emulated NAND to play said rom! You would have to stay on 4.5. The spoofing is only altered to instead have the game use the emulated NAND once that game is running. That's what I have gathered from how this should work. ;)

Honestly at this point this would be good workaround if v5+ support never comes. At least then you can still use 6.3 and newer firmwares to play stuff you bought from eShop and take advantage of new features in new firmwares while still being able to return to 4.5 when ever one wants to run roms. The only downside that you must have never updated past 4.5 to start out with.

The easiest solution now is to resale a v5+ console and buy one with 4.5 or older firmware on it. You would still have to spend a bit of money to do this. But since your plumping down 80 bucks for a flashcart, this shouldn't be too unreasonable.

Assuming you never update beyond 4.5, this would make Gateway roughly 90% future proof. I don't know the coding details on how the NAND emulation works, but I would bet it would be difficult for the OS/software running in emulated NAND to detect that. It will likely take Nintendo quite awhile to figure out how it was done and how to detect it and even then this only prevents running future firmwares in their emulated NAND. Gateway could then just update their NAND emulation code to get around any future AP measures they put in place.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I took it as everytime it went into gateway mode it is using the emunand, or maybe a choice to boot to gateway mode or emunand

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay