Hacking Gateway Brick on b2 caught on camera finally :D

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I have read all but it seems if you use all legit Gateway files direct from there main website (http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html) and cards etc.. and don't ever boot up Diagnostic test then you will be OK on 2.02b?

Just out of curiosity the guy that did the test and the videos did he buy his card from a reputable seller from Gateways Resellers?
It's impossible to be sure but at the very least the odds are MUCH higher if you run the diagnostic test. However that still does not mean it's 100% safe as long as you don't, but the odds are very small.

Askedforthis

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
True but there is plenty of guides available,it's only 4 points and I'm pretty sure it's un the Unbricking thread, as I said I'll think about doing a video, but I think I will give my 3ds a break, I do have someone who was asking to get their original 3ds un bricked so i might recorded the process if/when I do their console

Yes, a step by step on the original 3DS could be nice. There's one already, but another one doesn't hurt at all, especially since the original 3DS is a lot harder to do the modification to.

The problem with the original 3DS is that the CLK point is hidden behind the cartridge slot. So the cartridge slot needs to be desoldered or the motherboard needs to be unmounted to find the point underneath it and run a wire from there. Plus the points are smaller than on the XL.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats cool m8, just wondered. Mine was from Teensy as well :) I was a bit perplexed about the price differences.

I see your from the UK as well, hope its not a UK thing going on? :blink:

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
this should be on the front page by now.They dedicated a front page news when gateway lied with their first reply, falsely stating that they didn't brick the consoles

Possible options:
a) Administrators haven't seen this yet.
b) Some one has hidden interest in protecting gateway
c) this could lower overall sales for the sponsor sites

Tinfoil hat much? This is a known issue and has been addressed a couple of times (even in stickies here). If it really was a sponsor issue, why would Devin for example say that his 3ds bricked? would that make any sense? No.

The issue is creating so much false information and rumours that we can't simply promote every guess and video to the front page. That's not how journalism is done.

Disclaimer: I haven't received a single item at all for being a reporter. This is just a hobby on my free time. also I received no compensation for the work I do.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've emailed Team Gateway to let them know about gamesquest1's findings, and asked if they were still planning on releasing 2.0f today as they promised.

I'll report back as soon as I get a response from them.

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
If they release the new 2.0f Firmware today do you just use the new Launcher.dat in its place of the old file or do you have to run the Bluecard files again first?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Within the last hour. I don't really expect to get a response from them today, but, better than a response would be 2.0f minus any brick code.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, if anything significant comes out from the Gateway team, only then it appears on the portal. Until then, what Qtis said is perfectly true. We as reporters have no reason to promote every single piece of speculation. The quality of the portal would be severely degraded with the speculation if I had to post every single thing up. That is simply not how it works. And as for the guy thinking we are protecting Gateway, that's a baseless statement. I am just as interested as the next person as much as you guys are, and you guys have my word that the moment I get official word of a new release I will post it to the portal. Speed will vary depending on what I am doing at that moment though. If I am online and I see it the news goes up. If I'm on campus and away it will be slightly delayed but I guarantee somebody will create topics within moments of it being out so you guys can chew on that bone in the meantime.

And yes. We don't get paid, it's an entirely voluntary job. So please don't tell us staff members that we're doing our jobs wrong. :) We'd very much appreciate it.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Guys, if anything significant comes out from the Gateway team, only then it appears on the portal. Until then, what Qtis said is perfectly true. We as reporters have no reason to promote every single piece of speculation. The quality of the portal would be severely degraded with the speculation if I had to post every single thing up. That is simply not how it works. And as for the guy thinking we are protecting Gateway, that's a baseless statement. I am just as interested as the next person as much as you guys are, and you guys have my word that the moment I get official word of a new release I will post it to the portal.

And yes. We don't get paid, it's an entirely voluntary job. So please don't tell us staff members that we're doing our jobs wrong. :) We'd very much appreciate it.

don't worry i wasn't really expecting it to be made into a sticky although it might be worth putting a lil warning in the FAQ's to avoid diagnostics, just to be safe

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
So I have read all but it seems if you use all legit Gateway files direct from there main website (http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads.html) and cards etc.. and don't ever boot up Diagnostic test then you will be OK on 2.02b?

Just out of curiosity the guy that did the test and the videos did he buy his card from a reputable seller from Gateways Resellers? Cause GW Sellers have a big price difference between them and not GW sellers for example:-

GW Seller:- http://www.teensy.co.uk/gateway-3ds-nintendo-3ds-flash-card-cartridge-58.html

GW None Seller:- http://www.r4pick.com/gateway-3ds-flashcart-1st-support-all-3ds-roms-games-i-261.html

Why the big price difference probably because there copy's or something? Did he do this?

You do know that one is in Pounds and one is in USD right? Hell, if you buy from the Chinese Ebay Taobao, it's only 53USD.

dc740

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Guys (administrators). Don't get me wrong. I gave a few possible reasons, you added another and explained the real reason on why this is not in the front page yet. No one is saying anything about how you do your job.

But if you let me, I still disagree about not posting this in the front page:
There has been A LOT of speculation around this. Now you finally have a real proof that GW bricks consoles (well, there is plenty, but this is something visible and hard to miss). The diagnostic is a quick way to get a brick with a gateway device. I believe this is worth a front page. There was already a user claiming he didn't know about the chances of getting a brick with gateway. Those users would greatly appreciate the information in the front page. You would be literally saving their 3DSs.

Reactions: Nightwish

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disagreeing is fine, but it's not your decision. ;) I know there's been a LOT of speculation. But while we have proof, we can't say for sure it's the diagnostic that's for sure causing the problem. We can alert people in the forums, but putting it in the front page would be speculative, which is something we just don't do. Please understand. No, I'm not trying to be Iwata right now, but that's the situation. I already took fire for things I've posted related to the Gateway incidents in the past due to it being partially speculative, and I am certainly not keen on taking that backlash again.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Guys (administrators). Don't get me wrong. I gave a few possible reasons, you added another and explained the real reason on why this is not in the front page yet. No one is saying anything about how you do your job.

But if you let me, I still disagree about not posting this in the front page:
There has been A LOT of speculation around this. Now you finally have a real proof that GW bricks consoles (well, there is plenty, but this is something visible and hard to miss). The diagnostic is a quick way to get a brick with a gateway device. I believe this is worth a front page. There was already a user claiming he didn't know about the chances of getting a brick with gateway. Those users would greatly appreciate the information in the front page. You would be literally saving their 3DSs.

While I understand your point of view, it would stay on the front page for only a few days max due to the amount of news being posted at the moment. Gateway has promised to fix any 3ds that bricks due to their hardware being used. There is also a sticky for all gateway related bricks. This thread will be added to the others in the thread, but otherwise we can't do much more. The information is there on the top of the 3ds hacking forum. We can't force people to read all the stickies :mellow:

Edit: Ninja'd by Ryukouki :ph34r:

MaxiPower90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Talk about bad luck but i just bought a 3DS today on version 4.1.0-6E and i ordered my Gateway card last night and then see this thread. Talk about timing :/

What should my plan of action be?

1. Do I upgrade to 4.5?
2. Do I use an old version of Gateway? Is their any stable versions that are safe.
3. Do I avoid using the card completely?

And lastly, if bricked.... Is it a hard or soft brick. Like is their anyway to recover from it?

philroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if gw have agreed to fix bricked 3ds if it was their card that done the damage then perhaps if they are true to there word then they should also pick up the cost of having to send it away and perhaps compensate the people who havent been able to play their handhelds with some form of goodwill.i wont hold my breath on this as i think gw are all a bunch of sh"t

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
You do know that one is in Pounds and one is in USD right? Hell, if you buy from the Chinese Ebay Taobao, it's only 53USD.

Yeah I know, I'm not that silly!, the site link resets itself back to its original currency ( http://www.r4pick.com/gateway-3ds-flashcart-1st-support-all-3ds-roms-games-i-261.html ), you have to click on the UK flag in the top right hand corner to get the correct amount, you will see it has the same web address as USD currency!.

Don't get me wrong if this thread is all true then GW should pick this up and get it sorted in there next update but don't let us all forget, it does not get away from the fact what a great product GW has given all us happy 3DS owners that has been well over due for time now, that we all thought originally would never happen!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Talk about bad luck but i just bought a 3DS today on version 4.1.0-6E and i ordered my Gateway card last night and then see this thread. Talk about timing :/

What should my plan of action be?

1. Do I upgrade to 4.5?
2. Do I use an old version of Gateway? Is their any stable versions that are safe.
3. Do I avoid using the card completely?

And lastly, if bricked.... Is it a hard or soft brick. Like is their anyway to recover from it?

you can recover it if you have a raspberry pi and your nand dump and can solder, its actually quite quick and simple, B1 appears to be perfectly safe to use if you don't want to take any risks

I also agree no matter what gateway is still a great card and they pretty much created the 3ds scene that exists, i think we can let them off with dropping the ball on this occasion, now its just down to them to make sure it doesn't happen with 2.0 final, i still believe its better to go with the team developing the code than people who just clone, this is proof enough that bugs can exist, and if your running a dodgy hacked version im sure that the risks would be increased

Reactions: MaxiPower90

MaxiPower90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks gQ1. Ill stick with B1 or even an earlier version for safety. Makes no difference which version as neither of them support multi-rom. yet anyhow so.

roll on 2.0. best they do not rush to iron out all the kinks. No point in releasing it with bugs. ;)

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for taking the time to research this, and providing the first real proof of 2.0b2 causing bricks! There's no way they can deny it now, unless they accuse you of being part of the Chinese mafia :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: istg if lose another game of minesweeper