Hacking Gateway A9HL 4.1b and the blue card

themesser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi GothicIII, so what kind of info do you need ? I have a 3dsll (thats an old japanese 3ds) and I am stuck on GW A9HL (see first post)
People in this thread kindly indicated that this firmware can not run the gw blue card, so I want to uninstall GW A9HL to use Luma3ds instead.
I have my backup nand and the otf.bin, but I don't know how to access the gw system menu to restore the nand. When I boot my console, it always asks me to press L+R+select to fastboot, if i remove the red card, the system is stuck on a prompt asking to insert the gw card.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Replace your launcher.dat with the one from version 3.7.1. You should be able to see the menu when you boot up with no cartridge inserted. After that, with your NAND.bin on your SD card, hold Up over the Downgrade option, and press A, in the menu to flash the backup back.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

themesser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ok thanks, well it works, but it says NAND error, so I guess it can not downgrade japanese nands, it was the case before so I guess this hasnt changed.
cheers

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try it with 4.1b launcher.dat maybe they fixed it although I never read about jap nand restore problems. It could be that your backup is corrupt...

You just have to hold L+Select to get into the gw menu without card. Proceed as before.

themesser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
thanks, if I use launcher.dat from 4.1b, I can not access the GW service menu, even when holding L, R, both, without or with the redcard inserted. With the one from 3.7, no problems. I use the same nand backup than the one I used with the GW a9hl installer. So astronautlevel, what is your idea ??

When I was using 9.2 and wanted to downgrade to 4.5, GW service menu always prompted me with a message "sorry, can not downgrade JAP, KOR, or CN nand.

Last edited by themesser,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
thanks, if I use launcher.dat from 4.1b, I can not access the GW service menu, even when holding L, R, both, without or with the redcard inserted. With the one from 3.7, no problems. I use the same nand backup than the one I used with the GW a9hl installer. So astronautlevel, what is your idea ??

When I was using 9.2 and wanted to downgrade to 4.5, GW service menu always prompted me with a message "sorry, can not downgrade JAP, KOR, or CN nand.
Try this with 4.1b launcher to enter it's menu:
Turn the 3DS off.
Remove your Gateway Red Card
Hold your 3DS L button, turn the console on, maybe this will let you see the menu, without the error message that you're trying to boot without the gateway.
Then try the downgrade procedure.

Atro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to restore your NAND backup. In order to do this, simply hold up while selecting the DOWNGRADE option. Make sure you have your NAND.bin backup on the root of your SD Card.

sweatbox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Got that too. But I wasn't under gw fastboot. For me the nand flash was rejected by the gateway menu. I have an eur version. I was a bit scary but I tried decrypt9 and with that it worked.
Maybe you can start sysnand and boot into decrypt9?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got that too. But I wasn't under gw fastboot. For me the nand flash was rejected by the gateway menu. I have an eur version. I was a bit scary but I tried decrypt9 and with that it worked.
Maybe you can start sysnand and boot into decrypt9?
Decrypt9 won't work in Gateway Mode, neither will any other ARM9 kernel homebrew. Gateway menu or a hardmod is the only way to backup/restore NAND with Gateway's A9LH.

Reactions: sweatbox

themesser

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Finally got it to downgrade, thanks to all for your hints. Here is how I did:
-Use latest Launcher.dat (4.2b)
-copy nand.bin backup + OTP files on SD card
-Hold Left shoulder + select at the dragon menu to access the GW menu